Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I admit to receiving counseling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HANGRY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Should I admit to receiving counseling? Reply with quote

I noticed on the possible interview questions, they mentioned something about how the interviewer might ask you if you have received counseling. I know one of their big points is that they don't want anybody who is going to have a nervous breakdown when they get in country.

I don't have any serious mental illnesses, but I have seen a university counselor recently regarding some self-esteem, relationship, and stress issues. The counselor doesn't think its that big of a deal. I'm not medicated or anything.

I don't want to get passed up for a job just because I'm trying to work on my personal issues. If I get asked that should I just lie? They can't find out right? Is it that big of a deal to have been to a counselor?
clewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. This is private information that no one needs to know about. Do you really think they are going to investigate you so deeply they will discover you visited a school counselor?

Also, I bet around 85% of the people on here have spoken to a counselor at one time in their life for something or other.
hamsteRRiFic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85% of people on Dave's seems a smidge high. I bet it's more like 15%--and it's the other 85% who are in desperate, serious need of counseling. Twisted Evil

Anyway, OP, I seriously doubt if they are going to ask that. If they do, just hold your head high and tell them that you've never needed counseling because you eat plenty of kimchi. Wink

Honestly, they can't find out anything about your medical or psychiatric history (unless you did something that made the news) because in some non-Korean countries they have this silly concept called privacy.
willteachforfood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely wouldn't say anything.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 2 choices:

1) say no. You have never needed counseling.
2) say yes and pick a new country to find a job in.

Pick one.

willteachforfood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
You have 2 choices:

Pick one.

Haha

+1

You don't want to do/say/wear/think/feel anything that is going to make the Koreans think that you are in any way abnormal. The status quo is what they're looking for here, not the unique.....that being said, judging by some of the rif-raf that gets hired here, I call BS on the job market being as tight as folk on here like to rant and rave about. It's hard-ER to come to Korea than it used to be, but it is still ridiculously easy to get into ESL here compared to other jobs/scenarios.
CasperTheFriendlyGhost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never asked that question. A place asking that might be a little weird to work for. I'd politely conclude the interview and move on to the next candidate.
BoholDiver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say no. It's none of their damn business.
Skippy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say NO. Unless it is a whole lotta counseling like twice a week for years or whatever. I think that is too much information for a school to know it is not like a TOP SECRET government or military job. I think they are trying to weed out the crazies.

I would say honesty would be great to have and to say yes but here in Korea just saying yes ruins everything for you. No consideration or logic gets used. IE - Oh you have a criminal record okay you are know a horrible terrible crazy criminal so you can not work here but they do not ask for what lets say a parking ticket but here in KOREA they brand you (figuratively).

Justing saying yes to counseling says to them yep he or she is crazy or mentally unstable.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
You have 2 choices:

Pick one.

LMAO. I feel like ttompatz is getting more blunt lately.
methdxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I admit to receiving counseling? Reply with quote

HANGRY wrote:
I noticed on the possible interview questions, they mentioned something about how the interviewer might ask you if you have received counseling. I know one of their big points is that they don't want anybody who is going to have a nervous breakdown when they get in country.

I don't have any serious mental illnesses, but I have seen a university counselor recently regarding some self-esteem, relationship, and stress issues. The counselor doesn't think its that big of a deal. I'm not medicated or anything.

I don't want to get passed up for a job just because I'm trying to work on my personal issues. If I get asked that should I just lie? They can't find out right? Is it that big of a deal to have been to a counselor?

I honestly suggest you don't come to Korea. If you've never lived abroad, this place is going to destroy you.
Hotpants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say for any 'condition' that poses ZERO risk to the students you will be teaching, don't disclose it.

While Koreans soldier on without a single gripe, only the rest of the universe can accept seeking help for our debilitating mental health problems from time to time Wink
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotpants wrote:
I'd say for any 'condition' that poses ZERO risk to the students you will be teaching, don't disclose it.

While Koreans soldier on without a single gripe, only the rest of the universe can accept seeking help for our debilitating mental health problems from time to time Wink

That might be one of the reasons why they have such high suicide rates here.

But back to the OP - Make sure you are in strong mental health before arriving here. The stress of being away from home, not knowing the language, culture shock, isolation, stresses at work, etc... can be overwhelming. Do a lot of research to determine if Korea or living abroad is a good fit for you.
marsavalanche

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I admit to receiving counseling? Reply with quote

HANGRY wrote:

Is this thread serious?

Why the hell would you go out of your way and say "oh yes, well one time in college I did receive counseling for being a train wreck!"

Unbelievable.
West Coast Tatterdemalion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if you check the "yes" box, then forget a visa. You won't get one. There is a lot of hypersensitivity regarding western teachers here and with the stigma of mental illness here, you can forget about teaching here if you let them know. The ball's in your court.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: