Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defintive Sauna Thread (No Really...For Real This Time...).
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoshiwonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Defintive Sauna Thread (No Really...For Real This Time...). Reply with quote

Many people have asked for input on specific places (i.e. names), in specific areas. The threads all go into a good job generally but don't get specific enough.

I want to really get about and find the coolest but don't have clue one. Obviously, nice amenities are the main point, but clientele (eye-candy anyone), nice sound system, etc, etc, could be factors...and don't forget price.

Let's see if this one will take off...

Okay, admittedly I don't have much experience but will give the goods on what I'll call the:

Quote:
Hamilton Hotel sauna in Itaewon.

The Hamilton Hotel, for those that don't know is the big-ass brick style building just outside the Itaewon subway station.

The sauna entrance is to the right of the main doors about 5-10 feet. Go downstairs and pay. 5000 won per one visit or 120,000 won unlimited for a 1-month membership.

It has toiletry items, boiled eggs (3 for 1000 won), and soft drinks that you can buy for very reasonable prices...the change rooms nice, unlimited shorts, shirts, towels, gel, hair dryers, hair spray, q-tips etc.

Nice showers with variable temp, from freezing to very hot, a massage area, a big hot tub, an elevated hot tub and a damn-hot-hot tub...so hot that I couldn't get in past the no-nos.

They also have a sauna room and a steam room-both too hot if you asked me though. Additionally, they have a 'sleeping' or resting area with two beds up above the saunas...

They also have a shoe-shine guy, a barber, a nail clinic for ladies, an internet room (40 mins for around 1000-1200 baht if I can recall correctly), a very big tv, lollygagging about area (co-ed) with a t.v., and a small korean style restauarant...

In case I didn't make it very clear; This sauna is accessable to both men and women (separate sauna facilities) with a coed area. Shirts and shorts required...

PS. There are also treadmills there and I thought the clientele were nice. The k-guys were checking out the toolbox a bit but I would only imagine it happens everywhere...but when I was confused about etiquette or where to find shorts and shirts they were all very nice and helpful to me...

Hope I helped someone...

GG
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny... when I tried to use that sauna they told me, "Oh, we're very sorry, this sauna is for Koreans only, no foreigners allowed."

At least they were polite about turning me down because of the color of my skin!

I told them to f*** off in my native language and theirs. I don't think I'll try to return.
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to admit, i am a bit of a sauna addict, but most of my western friends would rather participate in a bon-deggi eating contest than soak naked with a bunch of koreans in the local myo-gyo tang.

a little clarification: saunas are larger with more amenities, myo-gyo tangs are small local joints with only a couple bath tubs and jim-jil bangs are community oriented places with a lot of amenities (sometimes with pc and video bang attached and a co-ed central area where people can sit in steam rooms with a robe or jump suit on and socialize.

i'm a little shy and don't enjoy being stared at or chatted up while i'm in the buff so i usually went to the sauna during the relatively slow times when there are fewer people: during the week between 8am-3pm. avoid weekends and holidays unless you want the sauna to feel like a walk through myeong dong in the nude.

A few favorite places:

kyungju hot spring hotels. these are awesome with huge tubs, green tea, ginseng baths, salt rooms, everything ...

in seoul:

renaissance hotel, lottle hotel (more expensive but nice)

myeong dong (exit 8, i think) --- take a left down the back street and you will see a big neon sign. this is one of the nicer local saunas and more upscale than most ginseng and green tea, mud baths, full massage services, huge nap room, movie room (12,000 just for sauna i think)

sinseol-dong --- great 24 hour place

hoegi-dong -- kyeong hee exit --- downstairs in the wedding hall building.

seolleung dong in kangnam -- saunas everywhere.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote for the best one I've found so far is the Yusong Hotel in Taejon (Yusong). Its best feature is an outdoor pool where you can soak on rainy or snowy days. Heaven!
GoshiwonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Son,

I can't believe they wouldn't let you in. To clarify, I believe you but can't believe they would be that stupid.

If a foreigner can't get in a sauna in Itaewon where the hell can they go?
I had no problem getting in. The ladies at the front desk were a little giggly because I could only speak English, but there was no sign they weren't going to let me in. Another foreigner I know, white foreigner, goes there all the time...

If they ever try to refuse me I'll be upstairs bitching to the hotel right quick. They must be associated somehow or recognise an association due to their proximity...

Sorry to hear of the experience in any case...

GG
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me, too. Since you appear to be a regular there I'm happy to hear that my experience was an isolated incident.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea. We need a list of good saunas and jjim jil bangs in certain areas. I am looking for the best on at Kangnam Station, preferably with a health club and monthly membership.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go to a nice sauna place, but, playing around naked with my friends, though it fulfills a lot of male fantasies, is just not my thing. Can anyone list some nice places to go to, where you wear clothes/togs, but still has all the nice stuff????
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important aspect/question is of course overlooked, as usual.

How are the biatches?
ersatzprofessor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jimjil bang right at the Express Bus Terminal is pretty good too- I've stopped there a few times now and slept over twice. Other visitors told me it was one of the best in Seoul. It's also coed. It has all the amenities, and the price is not bad either - 7000 won I think.
GoshiwonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes SeoulTrader, I too want to know the wherabouts of these magical biatches...hence my mentioning 'eyecandy'.....it all goes towards the right environment as far as I'm concerned.

That'll probably be saunas in Gangnam area but I could of corse be wrong...

And Son, I'm not a regular at that Itaewon Sauna so I might find myself surprised yet. I'll post if it ever happens though...

GG
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower wrote:
I want to go to a nice sauna place, but, playing around naked with my friends, though it fulfills a lot of male fantasies, is just not my thing. Can anyone list some nice places to go to, where you wear clothes/togs, but still has all the nice stuff????

all saunas are seperated male/female because you soak in the tubs naked. try the jim-jil bangs -- they have co-ed areas where you can use the steam rooms in shorts/ robes.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two months ago a very close male korean friend (I've known about 3 years) took me to a new sauna in Daegu. This is as close as you'll ever get to a truely mixed sauna I believe (in Korea). The main bathing areas i.e. hot pool areas are partitioned by a semi frosted glass plate. The showers and other stuff are tucked away. Through the frosted and steamed glass, I could catch glimpses of some naked women lazing on the pool edges. The whole sauna is enclosed by a glass huge dome roof. I guess if you got on the roof you could see quite a bit!
agraham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wormholes101 wrote:
About two months ago a very close male korean friend (I've known about 3 years) took me to a new sauna in Daegu.

What/Where is this sauna of which you speak?
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itaewonland down the street towards the International Clinic is a nice place. Pricey (10,000 won) but still very nice. They used to not allow unaccopianed foreigners in but some people here took care of that problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: