Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing alcohol and tobacco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevensalty45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Bringing alcohol and tobacco Reply with quote

I was thinking about bringing a small bottle or two of something good for my coworkers, do you know if customs will have a problem with this if it is in my checked luggage?

Also, will there be a problem if I brought rolling/pipe tobacco and papers/pipe? I know they are very anti-drug over there but I do like to flavor of those and enjoy it and it is just tobacco after all.

Thanks.
Italy37612

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customs will allow you two bottles of hard liquor without any additional tax being imposed (750ml bottles). Even if you bring more, which I have, it is rare that they ever slap you with customs tax for alcohol. That would require too much effort by the customs official. If you do decide to bring it in your checked luggage wrap it up really well and make sure you put it inside a couple of zip-lock bags. If I were you, I would just buy whatever you need at the duty-free shops and carry it on the plane with you.

As for the tobacco. Korea may be anti-drug but certainly not anti-tobacco. The last time I came back here from the states I brought two pouches of chewing tobacco with me in my carry-on. I had no problems. If you include the rolling papers with the loose tobacco I don't see any issues.
goreality

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

Wrong. You aren't allowed 1.5L of alcohol you are allowed 1L of alcohol. Also pouched tobacco is fine, you are allowed 250 grams of tobacco products or 200 smokes.

Check this out. http://english.customs.go.kr/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: