Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got Fired!! Help is here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Got Fired!! Help is here. Reply with quote

I was recently fired from my job and I have valuable information for anyone else who is in my position. I had passed the six month mark of my contract and had no written notice.

This is what I have found out in the passed few days:

Cool It is illegal to fire an employee after six months without written notice. Notice has to be signed by both parties and dated. Also you are to get all monies the day of firing; not this "come back in a few days" crap that most director say.

Cool Also with out notice it means that your employer owes you another months pay. So its like getting your servence anyways. But you have to wait for it.

Cool Go to your local labour board and file a complaint against your employer. This can not be actually filed for 14 days offically, therefore you can't use it to threaten your boss until the 14 days are up. I was told not to mention to him at all or bad things will happen. But it really wasn't explained that well.

Cool After the 14 days you or a represenative will mail the complaint to the labour board and they take care of it. He has 30 days from the point to pay you any monies he wrongfully decducted from your final pay and the extra 30 days pay. If he refuses the labour board will take his business license away. So you win anyways.

Laughing The labour board has set up a call center for foreigners that speak damn good English and are very helpful. Since no one in the office we went to spoke English, so we used the call center as a translator. The number is:
02-872-9797

They will also be able to give you other numbers that you may need. You can also hire a lawyer after the 14 days when the labour board gives you a file number. The Canadian Embassy has a list of lawyers to use.

Rolling Eyes I have done all of this and I still may have to leave the country until my visas expires. My director refuses to sign the letter of release. Their is only one way around this stupid piece of paper. Both you and your director must go to the issusing immigrantion office together. (Well be there at the same time anyways)

I hope all this helps, now can anyone tell me how to make a director sign a letter of release? Rolling Eyes
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info newt hope things work out
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should be added to waterbabies FAQ and moved to a FAQ forum if we ever get one...

excellent info.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Newt! Thanks for the info.

I hope I am never in the situation of being fired but it's good to know my rights if I am.

I'm sure there are others who will benefit immensely from this information. I'll be sure to hand it on to anyone I know that finds themselves fired without notice.
newt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be fired after six months as long as they have one written warning. I am not sure that their has to be time between the written warning and firing.
Mankind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The labour board has set up a call center for foreigners that speak damn good English and are very helpful.

My wife says thank you. Newt that was my wife you talked with.
Quote:
Since no one in the office we went to spoke English, so we used the call center as a translator. The number is:
02-872-9797

I was waiting for a month or so to put the number up. We wanted to see, how busy it would be. I didn't want my poor wife swamped. They were actually put there to help 3Ds. They thought teachers would be small side work. Shocked They really have no clue.

HAND Smile
[/quote]
dgarms

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Fired!! Help is here. Reply with quote

In Dec I gave my employer 1 month writtin notice that I was leaving. He said that it wasn't enough time (I have noticed that there is nothing in my contract on giving notice). I have accepted another job, but they need a visa release letter by Jan 3 or they will give the job to someone else. I really want this job. My current employer says he will not give me this letter until my last day. He hasn't told me when my last day will be yet. I have thought about walking out, but I am aware that getting another job in Korea is hard.
dgarms

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: I may be getting fired at the end of Jan Reply with quote

I have been told that because I can't seem to make the parents happy, they give me till the end of Jan. Will I still get paid and can I still get a visa letter?
Benbby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How timely, I now someone who just got a warning letter giving them 30 days notice. However, he wants to quit and I am sure there will be no trouble getting a letter of release. Do they have to him all his money at the end of the 30 days when he gets fired?

The letter of release is key to getting another job, right?
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Got Fired!! Help is here. Reply with quote

dgarms wrote:
I have thought about walking out, but I am aware that getting another job in Korea is hard.

Getting another job is hard, or getting a good one? Or do you mean it's hard without that letter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: