Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a new teacher to replace me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Finding a new teacher to replace me? Reply with quote

I want to leave my current place, but don't want to just leave them without a foreigner (I'm the only one there). I guess it isn't really my responsibility to find a new teacher but I figured it might be nice to help. It's not such a bad job, pretty easy, not high-paying, and in the boonies, but I have just run out of sanity with things. Anyway how should I go about finding someone or helping find someone? Just post on the Jobs Offered? I got a feeling not many people would want to take the job due to its location (between Anyang and Suwon) and lack of even one other foreigner at the hagwon. The boss does not speak English but the manager guy does.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet that, if you slapped a well-written ad up for the school on a few places(like here on Dave's), and had the school foot the posting fee, someone would snatch at an ad written well.
Singer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: leaving your job Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, have you fulfilled your contract? If not, are you aware of the possible repercussions that may come about if you leave?
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singer ... Rolling Eyes Wake up, here - the reason he wants to find his own replacement is that he's sort of into doing the right thing by these people. It's not a midnight run if you're tidying your bed and putting away your slippers before you go. How many people who leave their school early even consider doing something like this to make it easier on the school? Not many, I wager.

jaj, the first step is the look on the "Jobs Wanted" page right here at Dave's. Won't cost you or your employer anything, just look over the resumes people have posted and send out a few feelers. If your boss likes the guy, you can be the point man and communicate with them on the phone and by email if you want, and you can be as honest as you like about the job, even though if you're like a lot of us, maybe your present boss wasn't all that honest with you ...

If your boss is halfway cool, he might agree to toss a few bucks at you or eleiminate some of the early departure penalties from your contract. You are saving him a lot of work by doing something that is waaaaay easier for you than it is for him. The guy who comes in will feel better because he'll have a very clear idea of what he's getting into, and maybe he'll trust what you say more than he would a businessguy like your boss or some recruiter.

I hired a guy this way for the boss at the my last school, just wanted the experience of doing it (and also the fella would be sharing our large apt so I wanted a voice regarding whether the new roomie will be a loser or a cool one). Also, the job I have now is from someone reading my resume on the Jobs Wanted page, and I accepted it because I was contacted by a teacher currently working here. He knew the answers to questions I had, and he also understood why I was asking them.

Give it a try and let us know how it works.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jajdude,

Are you sure your director wants a replacement for you? In other posts you speak of dwindling enrollment & questionable viability where you work -- maybe he's just trying to do the right thing by holding up his end of the contract. Instead of pouring your situation out here, ad nauseum, have you considered just sitting down & talking with him? Okay, he doesnt speak english -- arrange an intermediary. I'm guessing there's a happy easy solution for you & him. Cut to the chase.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
jaj, the first step is the look on the "Jobs Wanted" page right here at Dave's. Won't cost you or your employer anything, just look over the resumes people have posted and send out a few feelers.

That page has been down for a while...people have not been able to post a resume here for some time now. Crying or Very sad
The Bobster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

Shocked

Man, I'll have to rethink my OWN options next time I get an urge to ramble ... thanks for the tip. Anyone know why Dave took it down? Just curious.

There are other websites that do this, though, jaj. I'll send you one or two when I get the time. We'll help each other through it, dude ...

Cool
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: software problems Reply with quote

From what I have heard from the horse's mouth, software problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: