Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What affect do you feel the English teacher has on future...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: What affect do you feel the English teacher has on future... Reply with quote

generations? I heard there are 37,000 teachers here ??? and we all teach probably 60-80 students per semester, correct? Basically, almost every child in South Korea has daily contact with foreigners and we form very close bonds with many of them. So, how are we affecting them, especially in the way they view the world, our country, their country and maybe just their overall world view? Their parents seem to be very nervous around us probably due to their English skills not being totally polished. But these kids are being influenced by us guys every day. In fact, I bet we spend more time with them on a close basis, than their parents do. What do you think? What will be the future ramifications on the next generation of Korea leaders? citizens in general?? Will they be more open to the world, be more self-confident in new situations that involve other nationalities? Am I fishing for a philosophical reward for my great works in Korea? Ha Ha! I guess I just hope that we all make a difference, and I think it will be fascinating to return here in 20 years to see the changes.
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angela,

37000 teachers or do you mean US troops? Anyhow, I'd like to believe that us English native speaker teachers are making a difference. However, unless foreigners make up a significant minority in Korea (and they don't now) or if more foreigners wield more decision-making power, the difference will be minimal, at least in regards to overall effect. I'm not discounting the individual impact that a teacher may have on a student.

CM
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that so-called teachers using improper English definitely has a bad EFFECT (not affect) on their students.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many kids regard their teacher as pure entertainment value.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I see it:

In about ten to fifteen years, when this current generation grows up and realizes what a lie "English makes life better" is, they're going to be angry rebels who'll make it a point to NOT send their kids to a hagwon of any sort because they dont want them to go with out decent sleep like they did.

Assuming Korea isnt turned into a smoking crater within the next little while.
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In about ten to fifteen years, when this current generation grows up and realizes what a lie "English makes life better" is, they're going to be angry rebels who'll make it a point to NOT send their kids to a hagwon of any sort because they dont want them to go with out decent sleep like they did. - william

Somehow I see two different points in your thread, William. I'd agree with you on the hagwon ridiculousness, but I fail to understand your reasoning in the "English makes life better" lie. How is it not beneficial to understand English? I suppose we can possibly add "Chinese makes life better" soon.

CM
mithridates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Japan is one of the worst countries in Asia at English, and was even worse before when it was at its economic height, I don't see much correlation between English ability and success. If one's products are good enough people will flock to your country to come buy them. Consider India, Pakistan and the Philippines and their superb English level, then compare it to Japan and Korea's. I remain unconvinced that better English=better life. Every day of teaching English also makes me realize that English teaching is an industry, not a collection of schools who's noble ideal is to improve everybody's life through education. Most hagwons and other language schools have managed to convince people that they are the sole source of English education and that music, comic books, tv, making English friends, and all other methods are useless.
It is even more extreme over in Vancouver. Vancouver has a magnificent library with seven floors of wonder and volumes of all sorts, but 90% of the Koreans I spotted there would come in, sit down and take out none other than a TOEFL textbook.
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it comes down to whether a person views English as a tool or something to expand one's mind with. Obviously there are two camps here: 1) a second language will help you be more successful and 2) it doesn't help at all.

CM
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: What affect do you feel the English teacher has on futur Reply with quote

angela wrote:
So, how are we affecting them, especially in the way they view the world, our country, their country and maybe just their overall world view? Their parents seem to be very nervous around us probably due to their English skills not being totally polished. But these kids are being influenced by us guys every day. In fact, I bet we spend more time with them on a close basis, than their parents do. What do you think? What will be the future ramifications on the next generation of Korea leaders? citizens in general?? Will they be more open to the world, be more self-confident in new situations that involve other nationalities? Am I fishing for a philosophical reward for my great works in Korea? Ha Ha! I guess I just hope that we all make a difference, and I think it will be fascinating to return here in 20 years to see the changes.

Interesting points, and I hear the typical answers. In address to one answer about Koreans will not be better off because look at India, Philippines, etc.. I think thats not really the point for individual Koreans. At this particular times, English means they will get paid perhaps twice as high as their colleagues in the workplace, plus they have the highest chances for promotion as well. Not only that, but they can travel abroad more easily, study abroad anywhere in the English world more easier, and have the option to emigrate if they so choose to do so.

Okay, to your specific questions"

Quote:
So, how are we affecting them, especially in the way they view the world, our country, their country and maybe just their overall world view?

We are effecting them immensily! I can see it changing alot since 1996.. I'm hearing more and more students discussing 'living together before marriage', 'never getting married and living together' and all the rest.. these aren't things they are getting from their Korean parents. They are getting these ideas from conversational english teacher's chosen class discussions. They are thinking more and more about them, and actually considering them!! I've been shocked here and there when I had young female students say 'i don't want to ever get married, just live with my boyfriend'.. these are things I would never ever had heard 7 years ago when I first began teaching conversational english..

The other thing I notice, is that most Koreans actually are adopting two ways at viewing things - the Korean way and the Western way. Now when you go back to your home country in the West, how many ways do they view the world? The answer is 'one'. Then go back to Korea again, how many ways do they view the world? 'two ways - korean way and the western way'.

Okay, as to Korean perhaps eventually possibly becoming bilingual... I would have laughed at this 6-7 years ago back in 1996.. but I don't laugh about this anymore. Why not? Well, have you tried to travel around Japan or China? You write down something in English, and absolutely no one has any clue what in the world you are talking about. You try writing something in English in Korea, they know what you are talking about. Also, its not much, but there are alot of things in Korea with the English alphabet. You might not think about it, but try going to China or Japan, and you won't see that anywhere nearly as much. I know alot of people are going to compare Thailand and tourist areas, fare enough, its there too. Okay, they are changing too, but so is Korea..

The common assumption and wideheld belief is that Koreans will never ever know English, they are all morons and incapable of anything and have reached their peak in the world, too racist, and inevitbaly going downward.. okay, fine, I've been down that path of thought from time to time out of frustation.. but its really quite a channeled superiostic way to look over the progress that has happened here already..

Anyhow, they do have one of the world's leading economies, they also lead the world with internet broadband, and when you talk to students, most of them are still studying engineering and the more solid skill-oriented growth fields. Go to Japan, the young kids study rock music, art, etc.. that is fun.. but anyhow, Koreans have had a goal for years and years and years. That goal is to be a be better than Japan in everything Japan does. I use to laugh and think Korea was a joke. But I'm not so sure anymore. Japan is on the downswing and looks like it will continue to decline, whereas Korea has every indication that it is not. For one example, do you notice many significantly more jobs and english teachers there are with everything Korean related? Do you notice how few talk about Japan? The list could go on and on and on..

Okay, enough of my rambling.. you can start blasting me away now.. I probably deserve it for saying something nice about a place that I really like.. I'll go put up the big fat target sign for anyone who has their arrows drawn and ready for my blood on this post!
mithridates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't hinting at a reverse correlation between English ability and economic strength with the examples of the Phillipines and so on, just pointing out that it can be healthy to become to concerned with one's country's English ability at the expense of other things. Korea is impressive though, that's quite true. I worry about how much of the English curriculum is promoted because it needs to be and how much is because English schools have done an amazing PR job of what a magical ticket to the rest of the world English can be.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. Wink
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the good teachers will:

Cool serve as a model for students who will later become English teachers
    Cool serve as a point for comparison for students who will later become parents sending their kids to English schools
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a bit of a whinge to a foreign teacher friend about the futility of trying to teach kids at a large chain hogwan and she gave me a bit of advice that I've never forgotten. She said that if we are giving these kids a bit of love, treating them with humour and kindness and showing them that foreigners aren't bad and scary people then we're doing a good job. Some things like giving kids confidence around foreign adults are just as important as teaching them English... or trying to teach them... and I take this with me into the classroom everyday. It's my philosophical reward anyway.
angela

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the "Little Love'n Kindness" above. I feel that creating a bond with the kids is the most fulfilling thing. I might have been a different teaching situation while in Korea the last few years than some of you who say we are just entertainers. Most of my students are very good at English, and learn very quickly. I compare my Korean skills to their English skills, and I am a very poor student. I love the dogged determination of the Koreans, no matter what happens to me in my everyday life here, no matter how negative they might treat me occasionally. You just gotta love their drive to succeed. I hope we all do make a difference, that is all. I think we can all make a difference, and leave things here a little bit better than we found them. They will remember us hopefully in a positive way, and when they are adults I think that will influence the way they see the world. Forever the optimist.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Angela wrote:

Quote:
Basically, almost every child in South Korea has daily contact with foreigners and we form very close bonds with many of them.

I should point out that is a minority of kids who actually get to go to a hagwon and see a foreigner on a regular basis.

Kids in Seoul and Busan have better opportunity to see foreigners, both teaching them and bumping into them on the street (although in Busan most of them are Russians).

The ones that have intimate contact with foreigners will grow up a bit more tollerant to foreigners than Koreans who were not blessed enough to go to a Hogwon. They won't be so racist either.

As a general rule, I can pretty much tell which kids do and do not go to a hogwon everytime I go out somewhere.

The ones that point at you and say "Mom! Look! An American!" or even more cute "Is he a bad guy?" ... these kids have never really been around foreigners all that much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: