Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
definitely maybe



Joined: 16 Feb 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did fromtheuk ever actual ask a question or did he just explain his rather ordinary future plans on an online forum to make himself feel important?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fromtheuk



Joined: 31 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the thread because it is something I'll do and it's relevant to teaching English abroad.

Trying to patronize fromtheuk isn't clever (virtually everybody else stopped doing that a long time ago.)

You're playing to an empty gallery. Cool

Don't be so lazy, click on page 1 of this thread and you'll see I asked a couple of questions in my first post. Rolling Eyes

You are so 2007! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louis VI



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Location: In my Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MA in TESOL Reply with quote

This is how the op starts this thread:

fromtheuk wrote:
I've recently contacted a reputable university in my home town in England about doing an MA in TESOL.

They say I sound like a good prospect and they advised me to apply for the course.

...

I agree that this part sounds a bit pompous. Definitely maybe to "make himself feel important".

They said you're a good prospect. Really? They blow air up your email to help boost their numbers, period. Anyone who didn't do awful in uni gets accepted if they are willing to fork over the cash. Those degrees aren't cheap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
definitely maybe



Joined: 16 Feb 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I posted the thread because it is something I'll do and it's relevant to teaching English abroad.

Trying to patronize fromtheuk isn't clever (virtually everybody else stopped doing that a long time ago.)

You're playing to an empty gallery. Cool

Don't be so lazy, click on page 1 of this thread and you'll see I asked a couple of questions in my first post. Rolling Eyes

You are so 2007! Laughing


I have an MAT in secondary education from years ago and finished an MEd tesl in 2009. I am a big supporter of furthering your education in this field. I read your first post. I also read your other posts. I can't find anything that you need help with, but I have seen plenty of patronizing comments on your behalf. Good luck with your studies. I suspect you'll learn little due to your arrogance, but you never know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spongebob Squarepants



Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Location: You wanna see my caring face?, ROK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into here. You will be studying at the School of Education at U of N with the likes of Richard Pemberton, Barbara Sinclair and Ian McGrath, and Jane Evison.

Before you graduate you will be expected to complete 120 graduate-level credits in taught courses and conduct a piece of original research in the form of a 15,000 word thesis for an additional 60 credits.

The 'pass' level is 60% at the PG level and it is notoriously hard to get a 'distinction' on the entire MA.

You will work your rear off and learn a heck of a lot as you do. I know. I have an MA App Ling from U of N's School of English. Can you spell distinction?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fromtheuk



Joined: 31 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompous? If you'd like me to be petty I could copy and paste the email I got which used those very words. I don't disagree they may say virtually anything to get people to sign up to the course, but that doesn't negate the possibility they actually think I'd be a good prospect.

To be accepted onto the course applicants must meet certain criteria. My qualifications and experience met that criteria, in fact I have much more experience than they ask for. I think that is why they said I'd be a good prospect. Don't be so dismissive of something you haven't any knowledge of. It's useful to know what you're talking about before you make a comment. For me, this degree is cheap. It only costs 4,200 and I'll live at home with family.

Arrogance? Read your own comments. You were happy to suggest a degree from the UK is worth less than a North American qualification, simply because it takes less time to get one. You were dismissive and condescending. If you knew about the University of Nottingham's world class reputation, you'd never have suggested their MA TESOL wasn't worth very much in the first place. It was your own ignorance on display. I replied to the points you made, your inability to answer them speaks volumes. I am not arrogant at all.

Spongebob Squarepants - Yes, I'll study with the people you've mentioned. 2 minor corrections - the pass mark is 50% and the dissertation is between 12,000 - 15,000 words.

I am confident I'll pass this course. I hope so. Laughing

I'm not too bothered about the grade I get, as long as I pass.

Yes, I can spell that word: distinction. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
definitely maybe



Joined: 16 Feb 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Pompous? If you'd like me to be petty I could copy and paste the email I got which used those very words. I don't disagree they may say virtually anything to get people to sign up to the course, but that doesn't negate the possibility they actually think I'd be a good prospect.

To be accepted onto the course applicants must meet certain criteria. My qualifications and experience met that criteria, in fact I have much more experience than they ask for. I think that is why they said I'd be a good prospect. Don't be so dismissive of something you haven't any knowledge of. It's useful to know what you're talking about before you make a comment. For me, this degree is cheap. It only costs 4,200 and I'll live at home with family.

Arrogance? Read your own comments. You were happy to suggest a degree from the UK is worth less than a North American qualification, simply because it takes less time to get one. You were dismissive and condescending. If you knew about the University of Nottingham's world class reputation, you'd never have suggested their MA TESOL wasn't worth very much in the first place. It was your own ignorance on display. I replied to the points you made, your inability to answer them speaks volumes. I am not arrogant at all.

Spongebob Squarepants - Yes, I'll study with the people you've mentioned. 2 minor corrections - the pass mark is 50% and the dissertation is between 12,000 - 15,000 words.

I am confident I'll pass this course. I hope so. Laughing

I'm not too bothered about the grade I get, as long as I pass.

Yes, I can spell that word: distinction. Laughing


If you're referring to me, I did call you arrogant, but never called into question the merits of unis in the UK vs. US. I am a product of a painfully expensive American education, but I am not about to claim that it trumps any and all others. I also had nothing to say about the duration of programs being an indication of superiority. Many education-related masters programs in the US are actually only one academic year if you're studying full-time. The ones involving certification can take longer though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fromtheuk



Joined: 31 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news! I got the grades for my first 3 essays.

Two merits and a distinction (in other words, two Bs and an A).

63%, 68% and 73%. Cool Laughing Very Happy Smile Surprised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Cosmic Hum



Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: Sonic Space

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Excellent news! I got the grades for my first 3 essays.

Two merits and a distinction (in other words, two Bs and an A).

63%, 68% and 73%. Cool Laughing Very Happy Smile Surprised


ok...I'll bite.

fromtheUK, 63 and 68 are B and 73 is considered A?

Irregardless...congratulations on passing your essays...if that is indeed what you did. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fromtheuk



Joined: 31 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

63 and 68 were merit grades.

73 was a distinction grade.

Grades from highest to lowest are:

Distinction

Merit

Pass

Fail.

I'd say my grades are quivalent to two Grade Bs and one Grade A.

Do we agree? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carbon



Joined: 28 Jan 2011

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try harder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
golsa



Joined: 12 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely maybe wrote:
Did fromtheuk ever actual ask a question or did he just explain his rather ordinary future plans on an online forum to make himself feel important?


Isn't it obvious that fromtheuk is trolling? I mean seriously now, who else posts stories about what British physicians think about US immigration forms?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carbon



Joined: 28 Jan 2011

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golsa wrote:
definitely maybe wrote:
Did fromtheuk ever actual ask a question or did he just explain his rather ordinary future plans on an online forum to make himself feel important?


Isn't it obvious that fromtheuk is trolling? I mean seriously now, who else posts stories about what British physicians think about US immigration forms?



And who would publicize such mediocre grades?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:

I'd say my grades are equivalent to two Grade Bs and one Grade A.

Do we agree? Laughing


Nope.

C, B-, B in ascending order.

Barely the minimum for graduation where I come from.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
alistaircandlin



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
fromtheuk wrote:

I'd say my grades are equivalent to two Grade Bs and one Grade A.

Do we agree? Laughing


Nope.

C, B-, B in ascending order.

Barely the minimum for graduation where I come from.

.


The marking schemes are different in the UK and the US. It would be interesting to compare how the same essays would be graded by UK and US professors.

The OP is right though, above 70% is a distinction, above 60% is a merit - a very good piece of work; above 80% is considered publishable, according to the tutors at London, where I did my MA - i.e. above 80% would be comparable to something the tutors themselves might submit to a journal for publication.

You would never get into the 90% range in a UK university - the mark schemes are not conceived in that way. For someone to get 80% or above is extremely rare. If you are in the 70%-80% range you are flying, and might be considering a career in academia.

The grades the OP has listed are very respectable, the 73% must have been very well-researched, and well-written.

It's a bit frustrating for us Brits when we have to put down our grades on applications - because they do look bad, compared to the grades students get from other countries.

To summarise: at UK Universities, above 60% is a very good piece of work, above 70% is excellent, above 80% is considered publishable, above 90% is unheard of.

Edit: thought I'd give the OP a hand here. I agree re. the speculations on trolling though: with respect to the OP, one does wonder why you are posting your grades on an internet forum. I guess you are just - quite rightly - happy with your good grades.

N.B. the OP's opinions on British English versus American English would be an interesting starting point for a good old argument; although this would probably be better placed in another post. Admittedly the OP is being slightly tongue-in-cheek in her remarks on studying English "with the people who invented it,." (apologies if this is a misquotation - but I'm writing it form memory - it was something along these lines.) I just wanted to note here that, although I'm British myself, I think that the OP is wrong on this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International