Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good job I have no feelings, otherwise I'd be very upset by the jokes being made at my expense!

If you think I'm a loser with 'high distinction,' you cannot deny I have the highest possible grade in that field. Ha! So there!

Now, try to put me down and belittle my success in being a loser. Go on, do your worst! Laughing

Sometimes, I think I take myself too seriously. Cool
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
It's a good job I have no feelings, otherwise I'd be very upset by the jokes being made at my expense!

If you think I'm a loser with 'high distinction,' you cannot deny I have the highest possible grade in that field. Ha! So there!

Now, try to put me down and belittle my success in being a loser. Go on, do your worst! Laughing

Sometimes, I think I take myself too seriously. Cool

Do our worst?
Not a chance.
That is your department.

We shall do our best. Cool
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you know? You're out there in space. At least I'm on planet earth! Laughing
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
What do you know? You're out there in space. At least I'm on planet earth! Laughing

...touche. Wink
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are all of my grades so far:

68%, 63% and 73% in the core modules, which are two merit grades and a distinction. To recap the grades from lowest to highest are: fail, pass, merit & distinction.

In my elective modules I got: 68%, 68%, 68% and 73%, which are three merit grades and a distinction.

I have submitted my dissertation and that grade will be published in late September. If that is at least a pass, which I certainly expect it to be, then I'll have an MA TESOL. What an achievement that would be! Laughing
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my MA at Birmingham and have been very disappointed with it so far. It's expensive and the staff are useless. I'm becoming more disillusioned with higher education the more I study. I met a woman who spoke terrible English, constant Konglish ("Englishee" style), who was studying for a Phd in Korea. What kind of uni would give her a Phd in Tesol when she can't even speak the language properly? I used to think it was just Korean unis but now I realise that so long as the foreign students pay the high fees then any uni will pass them. Birmingham included.
What a rip off.
misher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I chose to go to a school with a reputable name and study residentially. At least I can choose my profs, make my best attempt to be noticed, get key references and a brand name on my resume at the end of it all. Sure distance is great for those wanting to continue to work, but I've just heard too many horror stories regarding inept "tutors" (sorry I want office hours with a prof that can give me a good reference) and shoddy admin. Distance is cheap but you really get what you pay for IMO. Birminham is supposed to be top tier for TESOL and AL but if what the previous poster is saying is true, i'm glad I didn't sign up and I shudder to think what other non reputable distance MA TESOL programs are run like. I'm continuing to believe that the degree itself is nothing more than a degree mill program akin to today's MBA or what have you.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm continuing to believe that the degree itself is nothing more than a degree mill program akin to today's MBA or what have you.

I think all universities are moving in this direction. In the link provided earlier in this thread students from unis as prestigious as Cambridge are complaining that foreign students with next to no English are still getting degrees. Making money is now the most important thing for universities, providing a degree that is consistently graded among all students is an afterthought. No uni wants to fail international students because that will result in less international students, resulting in less money.
It's pathetic and it seems no university is immune.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 - Ditto your comments. My fellow students can hardly string a sentence together but they will get the MA because they pay alot of money to do the course. It's all a scam. Laughing
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My overseas Master's wasn't a scam.

Last edited by young_clinton on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
misher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there actually are MA TESOL programs out there that actually have standards with regards to who they let in. This however seems to be changing IMO. If all you need is a pulse and an undergraduate degree to enter a pretty decent program like Birmingham's then MA TESOLs are going to be a dime a dozen in another 10-15 years. This really is education inflation at its finest. Pretty soon a PhD will be required or "preferred" to teach freshman conversation classes. I know I know that there are many out there with the whole 12 hour a week, 5 month vacation packagae, but seriously, do you expect conditions to stay the same 15 years from now? Especially when anyone can go out and get an online MATESOL? Maybe my fears are misplaced and I apologize for coming across as a negative nancy but it really seems like its a race to the bottom.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to a lady who said she worked full time in a hakwon and only took 1 year to finish her Masters in Tesol. Working full time and being able to finish graduate school in one year really makes me question the quality and authenticity of these degrees.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think now. more than ever, it's of vital importance to give yourself a competitive edge by getting papers published in journals and giving presentations of your work at conferences. Even if the journal is small time and only your girlfriend turns up to your presentation, as long as you're being proactive then I think you'll be doing better than most.
It seems simply working hard, and getting your MA isn't enough anymore. Especially if the unis are giving a degree to anyone who pays enough money.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all depends on which country you want to work in. In Saudi Arabia, most teachers have just a degree and some form of TESOL certification.

With an MA TESOL from a world-class university, done face to face and not online, that'll more than suffice for my requirements for the rest of my EFL life. I don't plan to teach anywhere else.

I wouldn't want to work in any country where you are expected to work hard for not much money. I prefer it the other way around. Laughing
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 63% in my dissertation. I have passed my MA TESOL. Success! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: