Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabrams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I got 63% in my dissertation. I have passed my MA TESOL. Success! Laughing

Congratulations! Very Happy
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistaircandlin wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
fromtheuk wrote:

I'd say my grades are equivalent to two Grade Bs and one Grade A.

Do we agree? Laughing

Nope.

C, B-, B in ascending order.

Barely the minimum for graduation where I come from.

The marking schemes are different in the UK and the US. It would be interesting to compare how the same essays would be graded by UK and US professors.

The OP is right though, above 70% is a distinction, above 60% is a merit - a very good piece of work; above 80% is considered publishable, according to the tutors at London, where I did my MA - i.e. above 80% would be comparable to something the tutors themselves might submit to a journal for publication.

You would never get into the 90% range in a UK university - the mark schemes are not conceived in that way. For someone to get 80% or above is extremely rare. If you are in the 70%-80% range you are flying, and might be considering a career in academia.

The grades the OP has listed are very respectable, the 73% must have been very well-researched, and well-written.

It's a bit frustrating for us Brits when we have to put down our grades on applications - because they do look bad, compared to the grades students get from other countries.

To summarise: at UK Universities, above 60% is a very good piece of work, above 70% is excellent, above 80% is considered publishable, above 90% is unheard of.

Edit: thought I'd give the OP a hand here. I agree re. the speculations on trolling though: with respect to the OP, one does wonder why you are posting your grades on an internet forum. I guess you are just - quite rightly - happy with your good grades.

Yes, the fact that my grades appear low although I've never had anything worse than merit is a source of concern for me. I hope it won't affect my employment opportunities if and when I decide to return back to North America.

And, I also get the feeling there is an awful lot of trolling going on in this thread. Putting down distance education, MAs in TESOL, and specific universities...Sounds to me like someone's trying to discourage people from getting MAs in TESOL in order to protect his or her position at university.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trolling and no discouraging of anyone. I was stating what various employers think of distance learning, that's all. If I didn't have the money, I would have done an online MA, but employers in the Middle East explicitly state they won't accept distance learning qualifications, hence my comments.

I love my MA TESOL. Laughing
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
No trolling and no discouraging of anyone. I was stating what various employers think of distance learning, that's all. If I didn't have the money, I would have done an online MA, but employers in the Middle East explicitly state they won't accept distance learning qualifications, hence my comments.

I love my MA TESOL. Laughing

I wasn't referring to you. As for employers in the Middle East who won't accept distance learning qualifications, I think that depends on which programme you've completed. Distance education from a top tier university would be fine, I imagine, but one from those for-profit American ones (we've all seen their banners on the internet)...probably not.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read a few years back that forged degrees is a big problem in the Middle-East...That and students who bribe the professors. Based on what I read and what I've been told, these two practices are widespread.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of those specific problems. There is dishonesty in every country I've worked in, I don't doubt that for a minute.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, I also get the feeling there is an awful lot of trolling going on in this thread. Putting down distance education, MAs in TESOL, and specific universities...Sounds to me like someone's trying to discourage people from getting MAs in TESOL in order to protect his or her position at university.

I'm certainly not trolling. I'm doing a distance MA in TESOL at Birmingham and just because I say Birmingham is not a good uni doesn't mean I'm trolling. I've had to make an official complaint to the uni and received 3 apologies from 3 different members of staff. The complaint still isn't fully resolved. If I was trolling then it would be the most expensive and time consuming troll of all time.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

I'm certainly not trolling. I'm doing a distance MA in TESOL at Birmingham and just because I say Birmingham is not a good uni doesn't mean I'm trolling. I've had to make an official complaint to the uni and received 3 apologies from 3 different members of staff. The complaint still isn't fully resolved. If I was trolling then it would be the most expensive and time consuming troll of all time.

It's a top tier university, isn't it?
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I've not heard of those specific problems. There is dishonesty in every country I've worked in, I don't doubt that for a minute.

I worked in a Uni in Saudi. We found out the head of the English department had been selling the tests to students when one of them complained to the principal that the price had gone up. Laughing

Of course there was no (negative) publicity or police involved, he was just asked to leave. He was probably going anyway, we had four heads in the time I was there and three left under a cloud of sorts.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing surprises me nowadays. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: