Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: MA in TESOL Reply with quote

I've recently contacted a reputable university in my home town in England about doing an MA in TESOL.

They say I sound like a good prospect and they advised me to apply for the course.

It starts in September and my current job in Saudi Arabia ends in September.

Why will I do an MA in TESOL? The course is modular (no exams, I think), non-natives do the course so it can't be impossible to complete, and most importantly of all I feel it'll provide long-term job security, with more perks and a better salary.

This is definitely true of the Middle East. I believe it'll give me the option of even working at a university in England. In theory, anyway.

By the end of this contract, I'll have enough money to pay for a masters and all of it's related costs by myself. I've calculated I won't be in debt if I do the 1 year, full-time course.

If I work in the Middle East for the next 5 years, with a masters I'd earn at least �25,000 more than if I didn't have one.

I think I will pluck up the courage to do the course this September. We shall see. Laughing

Anybody else recently completed an in-person masters or about to embark on one? If yes, please state how awful the non-native speakers English was. Laughing
brauggi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished mine last year. My non-native English speaking classmates had better English than my native English speaking classmates
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news! Today, the University of Nottingham changed the conditional offer of a place on the MA in TESOL, to an unconditional offer.

I swiftly emailed them to affirm my acceptance of both conditional and unconditional offers.

The only thing that could go wrong now is not enough students register for the course and it gets cancelled. I believe they need a minimum of 8 students.

As stated previously, the University of Nottingham is ranked in the top 1% of all universities in the entire world. If they can't manage to attract 8 students, I'd be shocked.

It should be a formality now. Right?! Laughing
brauggi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. I had a ball during my studies, and i'm sure you will, too!
TECO

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
As stated previously, the University of Nottingham is ranked in the top 1% of all universities in the entire world.

I've never heard of it.
Skyblue

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was ranked 73 on the latest (deeply flawed) Times Higher Education rankings. That's roughly the same level as KAIST in Korea. Does anyone actually believe these rankings? Is POSTECH actually better than the University of British Columbia, McGill University, or the University of Edinburgh?
Skyblue

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the online option is half the price (6,600 GBP) of the on-site option (11,420 GBP).
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's �4,200 for home students (I'm one of them).

Yes, it was ranked independently in the top 1% of over 7500 higher education institutions around the world.
oldtrafford

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I work in the Middle East for the next 5 years, with a masters I'd earn at least �25,000 more than if I didn't have one.

Is that 25,000 over five years my Muslim friend?
Hugo85

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyblue wrote:
It was ranked 73 on the latest (deeply flawed) Times Higher Education rankings. That's roughly the same level as KAIST in Korea. Does anyone actually believe these rankings? Is POSTECH actually better than the University of British Columbia, McGill University, or the University of Edinburgh?

I usually look at the QS rather than the THE.

McGill = 19, UBC = 44, Edinburgh = 22, SNU = 50, KAIST = 79, POSTECH = 112. Seems much more accurate to me and their methodology much more sound.

The Engineering & Technology QS rankings are close between McGill, UBC and the 3 aforementioned Korean university are close, but that also makes sense.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is oldtrafford.

I would rather eat my own lint than study, but the thought of getting extra money for just having an MA in TESOL makes it all worthwhile.

I can stomach one year of it. It's all assignments and no exams. Laughing
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a science degree or experience in teaching science, consider getting a Masters for foriegn educators from Buffalo State University (SUNY) while teaching in Bangkok. This degree is not a correspondence degree either although a couple of the classes you take are correspondence classes. This degree works well for ESL too. If you think you might like Bangkok this degree has a good set up. Actually Buffalo State has a bunch of sites in foriegn where it teaches courses for this degree. Another thing that is really nice is if you don't have a TEFL certificate yet, you can get 9 credit hours from the TEFL course toward the degree. Of course you have to take it from SUNY in Bangkok.
oldtrafford

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the uk

I'm doing mine via long distance learning. I pay more because I'm outside of the E.U. It's also all module based with the last module being a dissertation!! It takes two and a half years to complete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? Which university are you doing the distance learning course with?

I look forward to getting an MA in TESOL. It'll really help long-term with what has now become my 'career.' Laughing

oldtrafford - What is your teaching background? What are your plans for the future?
Bowden_PSM

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also going back. I'm headed for in-person at OISE/U of Toronto.

$13,000 CAD for 16 months. I get an M.Ed. Study under some great people.

After, I am planning to move to Oman for 4 years with my wife.

We think it is worthwhile, though doing it will deplete our savings to nothing by the time I am done.

Is this a good idea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: