Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard-drive too hot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rezdog69

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Hard-drive too hot! Reply with quote

I was noticing significant slow-down for a while now, especially while downloading, so I opened up the case and--oh my god! The amount of dust that had got inside was disgusting!

I vacuumed everything up and, in particular, cleaned and re-checked most of the obvious connections.

Now, it seems my WD HD is operating too hot. Specifically, I have to throw it in the fridge in order to get about a half-hour/hour of use out of it.

Is this thing dead to the world or is there anyway to salvage it? Are there any other possible problems I should be looking at?

It should be said that I have a five year old son who never properly shuts down windows. Is this my fate?

All feedback greatly appreciated.
eamo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Specifically, I have to throw it in the fridge in order to get about a half-hour/hour of use out of it.

What?!!! For real??!!

What about your case ventilation? Do you have case fans running front and rear?

If you're HDD is so hot then you really need to address the airflow through your case. If you've cleaned out all the dust and your case fans are providing a strong air-flow, then your HDD should not get too hot. Mine are actually cool to the touch as I have them positioned just behind the front intake fan.
sheriffadam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hdd is that hot I'd be backing up all the cherished photos of your little one if you haven't already. It could die anyday.

Even tucked inside my notebook my 7200 hdd at full pelt only gets to 32 degrees C

If its running that hot you got problems!
madoka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. IMMEDIATELY back up your data.

2. Replace your HD as it sounds like it's going bad. If your new HD overheats, then you've got other problems. If your case fans are working fine, perhaps you have some spyware/virus that is constantly accessing your HD.
rezdog69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The fans and cooling are not the problem as I have been running my comp with the side panel off for diagnostic purposes and the HDD still gets hot after about 30 mins.

I just can't understand where such heat would get generated from internally. Could there be a problem with the SATA power to the HDD?

Anyways, I guess I'm buying a new HD. But, on the off chance, has anyone had any experience with those HD recovery services?
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezdog69 wrote:
But, on the off chance, has anyone had any experience with those HD recovery services?

I had a student who looked into it after her drive failed. What I learned was:

The cost of a new hard drive = $50

The cost of recovery service = $500 (with no guarantees of success)

= backup your data

HD will eventually fail. You might as well just buy a new one now.
akcrono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezdog69 wrote:

The fans and cooling are not the problem as I have been running my comp with the side panel off for diagnostic purposes and the HDD still gets hot after about 30 mins.

This won't help. An ATX case is designed to have airflow go through the front vents via a fan and pushed out the back through another fan. Taking the side off the case can disrupt the airflow of the fans (specifically the negative pressure generated by the rear exhaust fan.)

There's a nice little utility I like to use called HDtune to monitor hard drives. In your case, you can check the temperature and see where it's at. Since it has moving parts, there are a few things that can go wrong which generate more heat. Anything over 55c is too hot for a hard drive, and its unlikely you can do anything about it. Backup what you can IMMEDIATELY and replace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: