Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Abdullah is dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: King Abdullah is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has died aged 90 after a short illness.

The news, announced early on Friday morning local time on state television, came after the king was admitted to hospital on 31 December suffering from pneumonia.

His successor is his half-brother Crown Prince Salman. On Friday morning the new king vowed to maintain the same approach as his predecessors.

I saw the discussion of the succession yesterday, but for some reason missed the death itself. I thought maybe the king had abdicated.

link
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: King Abdullah is dead Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:

I saw the discussion of the succession yesterday, but for some reason missed the death itself. I thought maybe the king had abdicated.

link

You must have been watching the part about the Yemeni leader abdicating/stepping down. Rebels took over the country around the same time.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a bad man, a dictator, and an oppressor, and all the Western leaders have nothing but fawning and loving memories.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.channel4.com/news/saudi-arabia-king-abdullah-dies-aged-90
Quote:
The head of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, who is currently in Davos for the World Economic Forum, said it was too early to say how his death would impact the global economy.

She said that although Saudi Arabia had often been portrayed as diminishing women's role, she hailed King Abdullah as a "strong advocate of women".

I could post a few dozen similar idiotic statements from our ruling class but won't. I will point out that Putin, who by any measure is a liberal feminist compared to this dead Saudi, is given the 'isolate, demonize' treatment and that this exposes the lie of "western values". The elite have no values. If you are agreeable to their interests they're fine with whatever you do.
Leon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
http://www.channel4.com/news/saudi-arabia-king-abdullah-dies-aged-90
Quote:
The head of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, who is currently in Davos for the World Economic Forum, said it was too early to say how his death would impact the global economy.

She said that although Saudi Arabia had often been portrayed as diminishing women's role, she hailed King Abdullah as a "strong advocate of women".

I could post a few dozen similar idiotic statements from our ruling class but won't. I will point out that Putin, who by any measure is a liberal feminist compared to this dead Saudi, is given the 'isolate, demonize' treatment and that this exposes the lie of "western values". The elite have no values. If you are agreeable to their interests they're fine with whatever you do.

This. Our Saudi "friends" are what IS would look like if they had a chance to consolidate themselves and settle down a bit. Although, I would say that what you point out is hardly limited to the west. It is always amazing to me how vitriolic many people are to Iran, but seem fine with the house of Saud and their miserable country.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is known to have a wicked sense of humor, and some mean driving skills. One day back in 1998, she deployed both spectacularly to punk Saudi Arabia's late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz. Back then, Abdullah was a Saudi crown prince visiting Balmoral, the vast royal estate in Scotland. The Queen had offered him a tour of the grounds—here's what happened next, according to former British ambassador to Saudi Arabia Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles:

The royal Land Rovers were drawn up in front of the castle. As instructed, the Crown Prince climbed into the front seat of the Land Rover, with his interpreter in the seat behind. To his surprise, the Queen climbed into the driving seat, turned the ignition and drove off. Women are not—yet—allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and Abdullah was not used to being driven by a woman, let alone a queen. His nervousness only increased as the queen, an Army driver in wartime, accelerated the Land Rover along the narrow Scottish estate roads, talking all the time. Through his interpreter, the Crown Prince implored the Queen to slow down and concentrate on the road ahead.

Royal custom discourages repeating what the Queen says in private, Cowper-Coles explained, but the anecdote was corroborated by Abdullah, and became, in the diplomat's words, "too funny not to repeat."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/01/feminist-boss-lady-queen-elizabeth-gave-saudi-arabias-king-lesson-power
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

This. Our Saudi "friends" are what IS would look like if they had a chance to consolidate themselves and settle down a bit. Although, I would say that what you point out is hardly limited to the west. It is always amazing to me how vitriolic many people are to Iran, but seem fine with the house of Saud and their miserable country.

I think you're right re: ISIS and Saudi. Basically the same. Which then leads me to wonder what an alternative policy towards Saudi would be. What if the Kingdom fell? Maybe what exists is the best case of a whole bunch of bad options.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Leon wrote:

I think you're right re: ISIS and Saudi. Basically the same. Which then leads me to wonder what an alternative policy towards Saudi would be. What if the Kingdom fell? Maybe what exists is the best case of a whole bunch of bad options.

I'm not sure. I think back in time there might have been a choice, but now we might be stuck with the choices we have made. Bluntly speaking, I can't imagine good outcomes in any circumstance for Saudi Arabians in terms of it ending up good for the West/the world, etc. Same goes for Yemen, Syria, etc. I do not want the U.S. to get creative with its policy making in the region, that is for sure. There is an article coming out soon that I helped edit that I will post to this thread when it comes out that talks about how Saudi, Qatar, and the U.S. funds proxies in the region that you might find interesting. I think it will be out this week, but part of the author's thesis is that we are still living with the consequences of 1979/1980s.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny how destabilizing Saudi Arabia might destabilize the region, because Saudi Arabia routinely funds destabilizing movements in the Middle East.

The House of Saud is powerful. Right now, the Kingdom has pushed open to maximum its supply of crude oil during a price slump. Why? It wants to crush either American/Canadian competitors or renewable alternatives. There is nothing Saudi Arabia wants more than cheap oil prices.
GENO123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi wants to clobber :

1)Iran

2) Russia for supporting Syria and last

3) as was said above Saudi wants to crush either American/Canadian competitors or renewable alternatives.

It is all win / win for Saudi Arabia
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
There is an article coming out soon that I helped edit that I will post to this thread when it comes out that talks about how Saudi, Qatar, and the U.S. funds proxies in the region that you might find interesting. I think it will be out this week, but part of the author's thesis is that we are still living with the consequences of 1979/1980s.

Please do.
Leon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128034

Quote:
Dempsey Sponsors Essay Competition to Honor Saudi King

By Jim Garamone
DoD News, Defense Media Activity
WASHINGTON, Jan. 26, 2015 – The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has established a research and essay competition in honor of Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz hosted by the National Defense University.
The king, who died Jan. 23 at age 90, oversaw the modernization of his country’s military during the time he spent as commander of the Saudi Arabian National Guard, a position he held from 1963 until he became king in 2005.
Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said the essay competition is a fitting tribute to the life and leadership of the Saudi Arabian monarch.

Words fail me.
trueblue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

By Jim Garamone
WASHINGTON, Jan. 26, 2015 – The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has established a research and essay competition in honor of Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz hosted by the National Defense University.
The king, who died Jan. 23 at age 90, oversaw the modernization of his country’s military during the time he spent as commander of the Saudi Arabian National Guard, a position he held from 1963 until he became king in 2005.
Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said the essay competition is a fitting tribute to the life and leadership of the Saudi Arabian monarch.

Words fail me

That is rather phucked up.
Titus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

Quote:

By Jim Garamone

Words fail me.

Ah too bad. I had great respect for Dempsey. That's almost (almost) as embarrassing as Petraeus's smiley face emoticon to Max Boot:

http://mondoweiss.net/2010/07/petraeus-fed-his-pro-israel-bona-fides-to-a-neocon-writer-including-pathetic-recitation-of-meeting-wiesel
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
He was a bad man, a dictator, and an oppressor, and all the Western leaders have nothing but fawning and loving memories.

I guess you could say that. The King cannot make any ruling that he wants. . He has to get the Wahhabi imams to justify any ruling that he makes that is far reaching. So far there hasn't been any rulings that go beyond providing the technology padding the elite princes with money, keep in mind that the entire group of princes are nothing but bigots and hypocrites. Saudi Arabia is an 8th century country with oil money to buy Western technology and products from Bangladesh. The country is an absolute quagmire, a muck. In fact the entire region is a quagmire. I sincerely hope that entire country goes down the tubes. Who knows maybe the entire region will follow them. What an absolute muck that area is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: