Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drug Test - Marijauna back on the table?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontheway wrote:
The 90 day rule is for all foreigners. You have 90 days from arrival to register for your ARC. However, as an E2 teacher you have less than 2 weeks, not 90 days.

To be a legal teacher you also have to register, with your ARC and diploma at your local education office. You have only two weeks for this or you are not legal. So, you have only two weeks from your first day of teaching to get your medical exam, get your ARC from Immi and get registered at the education office.

Do not come to Korea if you are not ready to pass your drug test on your day of arrival.

Enforcement is really, really lax on this one, however.
ATM SPIDERTAO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my medical test done before my public school got my alien card done. and also before i got my phone. it was a huge problem back in 2008 when i came here cuz foreigners were smoking weed in bars etc in itaewon. it's considered pretty barbaric. kinda like drinking and driving back home imo. like if you tried to defend it, people would get pretty upset with you. just like back home with drinking and driving. anyway, i can't believe they STOPPED testing for it. why would they? it's like the easiest thing to test. at my hospital tho, it was super easy to cheat. nobody supervises u when you are doing it. and i am also from vancouver. someone asked if secondhand smoke can get you to fail ur drug test. apparently, it's EXTREMELY unlikely and you are like 99% fine. it's a legitimate question cuz people always joke about getting high from second hand smoke. so i'm surprised they test for MDMA etc. guess they're getting strict lol.
nukeday

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATM SPIDERTAO wrote:
it was a huge problem back in 2008 when i came here cuz foreigners were smoking weed in bars etc in itaewon.

Not saying it never happens, but I've been here since 2006 and I have never seen this.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddynufc wrote:
OK, so let me get this straight:

I'm going to work in a public school, beginning September. Can I be pretty sure that I'll be drug tested? And is it possible to say if it'll be a urine, blood or hair test?

I did a year in a hagwon back in 2005, and wasn't drug tested at all...

That would have been pre "CPN" (Christopher Paul Neil) and before the "English Spectrum" scandals.

Now you get to provide an apostilled criminal background check, apostilled degree copy, and have to pass a medical test that includes drug screening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: