Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian RCMP Criminal Check.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Canadian RCMP Criminal Check. Reply with quote

I sent my fingerprints to the RCMP in Ottawa. I used Fed EX. They received it in the middle of Feb. I sent a status email just now to check on the progress.

This was their response:

"""Good day,

Given the information sent, the application has not reached our system at this time. Due to our quality control process, this does not mean that they are not in the building.

CFSS processes more than 15,000 criminal record searches each month. The processing times for applications will vary depending on whether or not an individuals fingerprints can be associated to a criminal holding maintained by the RCMP. For those that are associated and or a manual review must take place, the process can take in excess of one hundred and twenty (120) days. For those that are not associated the processing time is significantly less. For further information on processing times please visit our website.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr-eng.htm

Please verify the system at a later time, to see if your application has arrived.

Thank you for contacting us,
Merci de nous contacter ,

The Call Center of CFSS - Centre d�appel du STDC
RCMP - Forensic Science and Identification Services
GRC - Services des sciences judiciaires et de l�identit�
Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services
Services canadiens d'identification criminelle en temps r�el
Civil Fingerprint Screening Services
Services de triage des dactylogrammes civils
SG"""

For those who have successfully completed these things; is this typical? Been over two months so far? How long does it actually take to complete? Has Immigration been strict on having these especially if you want to switch jobs?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: "Who here has sent away for their RCMP check and how long did it actually take you?" It's been over two months for me so far and it still isn't checked into their system. I have heard it could take 6 months or so. But not sure.
brucefox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I had to do was to walk into local RCMP station, then request a criminal background check with vulnerable secto search included. It was free, and took only 6 days.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coworker had this problem as well. He submitted at the beginning of January and just got them back last week. What he was told is that the RCMP was inundated with requests as a direct result of Korea changing its visa rules, and as a result the wait time doubled.
Taiwantroll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this. Since when do you require an RCMP criminal record check? Could someone link to the document stating that a RCMP criminal record check is required?
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked into my local RCMP office and they printed my record out right then and there (6 day wait!?)

AS for applying from abroad, I was told that it usually takes 5-6 months..
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go in person and just do a namecheck, it depends on the detachment, but it's anywhere from instantly to two weeks. If you need to do a fingerprint check, it takes up to 6 months. I think living overseas the fingerprint check is your only option unless you maintain residential ties in Canada including your ID and are willing to show up in person.
NSMatt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No RCMP check is required. Immigration requires a national background check which any police service can provide. All police departments nationwide have access to CPIC which is maintained by the RCMP. However, in some provinces and areas, the only local police force is the RCMP. My background check took 1 day.

Last edited by NSMatt on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
mellow-d

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also applied from Korea and I received the same email as the previous poster. My check finally came this week six months after I sent it to them in October. Good thing the rules were relaxed when I renewed in March or I would have been screwed!
busanmum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A co-worker sent his off in mid-December and received it back in early April. It does take forever.

However, Canada, unlike the States, only really has one criminal database. My husband's father was able to go to the local police station in Calgary with a signed consent letter from my husband to get a CBC done on his behalf. They did it on the spot and it was confirmed by the Korean Consulate in Canada and accepted by Immigration.

I've read some speculation on Dave's that not all immigration officers will understand that a city police check is the equivalent of an RCMP check, so doing it that way may be a touch risky, but it did work for my husband.

If you have someone in Canada who would be willing to stop by the local cop shop on your behalf, go to the website of your city's police and see if you can get someone to get a check done on your behalf. It takes a fraction of the time (and hassle--no fingerprints needed) and there's a good possibility it will be accepted by Korean Immy.
Taiwantroll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats what I thought.

To the original poster:

Just do a criminal check at your local police department The check will say national check on it. If you are in Korea, Manitoba allows for a criminal record check to be done by mail. It is the only province to make that exception. Just download the form and send it to them. It should take less than a month all said and done.
Kaypea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwantroll wrote:

To the original poster:

Just do a criminal check at your local police department The check will say national check on it. If you are in Korea, Manitoba allows for a criminal record check to be done by mail. It is the only province to make that exception. Just download the form and send it to them. It should take less than a month all said and done.

Yeah, I thought you could just mail away to Winnipeg and get the check done, as long as you enclose the form and the fee... and if you send a check, sign it!!! Guess who sent an unsigned check to Winnipeg Embarassed

I've also used CBC's from local police, ie Vancouver city police.
ssuprnova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaypea wrote:
Taiwantroll wrote:

To the original poster:

Yeah, I thought you could just mail away to Winnipeg and get the check done, as long as you enclose the form and the fee... and if you send a check, sign it!!! Guess who sent an unsigned check to Winnipeg Embarassed

I've also used CBC's from local police, ie Vancouver city police.

Do you have to be from Winnipeg/Manitoba to get this done? I'm from BC, going to stay for another year after my contract's up (with a different school), not planning to go back home in between contracts.
crazyjames1233

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to one of these places
http://l1id.com/pages/551-need-fingerprinting-or-a-background-check-for-your-job-
in Vancouver. did the fingerprinting and as i recall i got the results mailed back to me in less than 2 weeks.
ssuprnova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyjames1233 wrote:
I went to one of these places
http://l1id.com/pages/551-need-fingerprinting-or-a-background-check-for-your-job-
in Vancouver. did the fingerprinting and as i recall i got the results mailed back to me in less than 2 weeks.

Well, if you're in Vancouver all you have to do is go to a local police station with your gov't issued ID, pay 50$ and they'll print out a Police Certificate for you. Takes 5 minutes and no fingerprinting involved at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: