Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian RCMP Criminal Check.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furtakk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going home from the 20th to the 31st of December. I need to get everything redone. Would it be better to get the ball rolling ahead of time, or should I just wait until I get home? I understand that I probably won't be able to do everything during that time (as offices will be closed amongst other reasons), but my parents should be able to complete whatever else is necessary. Any advice? Don't need my docs until next February/March.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order your degree and transcripts NOW. Get them sent to your parents home. That way they are there when you arrive. You never know how slow your uni is. When home take them to the lawyers office for stamping. Order your criminal check from a local police station, also when home. Won't need fingerprints then. When these arrive, probably after you've come back to Korea, get your parents to send the transcripts, uni degree, and new CRC to the nearest Korean consulate or embassy. Theyll stamp them and then send them back to your parents. Then your parents can FEDEX them to you in Korea. I suggest using your school's mailing address. You should order a couple of copies of transcripts just in case. You'll also need two seperate money orders of $4.40 each to process the documents by the consulate. I believe the lawyer's office will charge 100 bucks plus HST. (Still easier than this Secretary of State and FBI apostile nonsense our American friends have to do.)
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
If you are in Canada - get it done at the RCMP. Go in and get a name check done. Take minutes to days to get. Versus weeks or months with a mail/fingerprint check.

I went in for a new CBC at the end of August, when I was there on my yearly vacation. Apparently the RCMP won't do a name check anymore. They do a date of birth check now due to some new regulations. If you're date of birth matches an offender you have to get a fingerprint check. Apparently the hit rate is close to 50% for males.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
Skippy wrote:
If you are in Canada - get it done at the RCMP. Go in and get a name check done. Take minutes to days to get. Versus weeks or months with a mail/fingerprint check.

I went in for a new CBC at the end of August, when I was there on my yearly vacation. Apparently the RCMP won't do a name check anymore. They do a date of birth check now due to some new regulations. If you're date of birth matches an offender you have to get a fingerprint check. Apparently the hit rate is close to 50% for males.

Really! True the last name check I did was years ago. I was going from experience. Looks like I have to do some research.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/vulner/index-eng.htm

I said the VSS wasn't necessarily for my needs, but they insisted I needed one if my birthday matched an offender and I had to write a cheque for $25. So I'm not sure if there is a way around it to get a CBC faster than the possible 6-20 weeks they mentioned. They said, at the time, it's taking an average of about 13 weeks.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:

I said the VSS wasn't necessarily for my needs, but they insisted I needed one if my birthday matched an offender and I had to write a cheque for $25. So I'm not sure if there is a way around it to get a CBC faster than the possible 6-20 weeks they mentioned. They said, at the time, it's taking an average of about 13 weeks.

Did you say you can not get a VSS for use outside of Canada. But I had heard of the similar name and birthdate hold up. But I thought that was only for fingerprint checks and that it made them twice as long.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
jvalmer wrote:

Did you say you can not get a VSS for use outside of Canada. But I had heard of the similar name and birthdate hold up. But I thought that was only for fingerprint checks and that it made them twice as long.

Supposedly they don't do a name check due to offenders skirting the system by changing their names and changes to privacy laws. So they just check your birth date. If it doesn't match an offender you get the CBC within the hour, otherwise it's the fingerprinting.

I told them it was for overseas, but I still had to do the fingerprints and the VSS. If someone else had a different experience within the last couple of months, I would love to know.
furtakk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know for sure whether or not non-RCMP checks are technically ok? Or is immi simply being easygoing at the moment given the certain changes? It will make life a lot less stressful if I can go to the local OPP branch instead.
fxtrader29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Still waiting for RCMP Check Reply with quote

I am still waiting for my RCMP check to come back. I sent it in at the AUG 1st. It's almost been 3 full months. I am hoping to have it back sometime this week or at the latest next. Is this a normal time period for RCMP checks?.

Thanks for your information in advance.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took 4 months for them to finish the CRC. Now with the deadline fast approaching, it might taker unless the RCMP hire more staff. Our checks are all national, unlike with the Americans. So, your local department's check will be fine. If you're in Canada, get a name check with the local police. If you're abroad, you have to send your fingerprints. Other option I previously mentioned as well.
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furtakk wrote:
Anyone know for sure whether or not non-RCMP checks are technically ok? Or is immi simply being easygoing at the moment given the certain changes? It will make life a lot less stressful if I can go to the local OPP branch instead.

Toronto Korean consulate site is vague. Vancouver one which searves BC, Alberta and Sask says municipal is fine. Have yet to verify my self?

From the Toronto Consulate.
Quote:
B: Criminal Records Search Certificate Confirmation

1. Original criminal records search certificate.
2. Photocopy and an original of the photo ID ( Driver's License or Passport )
3. $4.00 per document (Cash or Money Order only, Personal cheque is not acceptable)

Note:
If applying by mail
- a self addressed prepaid envelope (only Xpresspost is accepted) is required.
- DO NOT send an original photo ID(passport).

Have your tried calling the consulate and asking?
pkjh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
If you're in Canada, get a name check with the local police.

I was told by the RCMP that they don't do a name check anymore, they run a check on your date of birth now. If it matches some criminal's birthday you have to submit fingerprints.

Ordered my check at the local RCMP station in the first week of September. Still don't have it.

Last time I got my CRC was way back in 2004 and I had it in my hands in minutes.
CPT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the RCMP send the record check, xpresspost envelope, photocopy of ID and money order directly to the Korean Consulate?
meangradin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the VCC site and I am confused about one thing.

Quote:
Documents from the government or an organization that clearly explains whether you require:
a fingerprint search through RCMP in Ottawa (if so, see Fingerprinting Service). If you are out of country you would submit your fingerprints, or
a name search of the National Repository and local criminal record check conducted by the local police agency where you previously resided (i.e. Vancouver)

Which one do I need, the name search or the fingerprint search by the RCMP?
rayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Vancouver. I read every post here and I'm wondering where exactly did everyone get their CBC for under $30?

On the VPD website, it's $70 for the Police Record Check:
http://vancouver.ca/police/organization/records-checks-fingerprinting/police-records-check.html

And for the life of me, I can't find how long the processing time is anywhere. It keeps saying "go to this page to find out the fee" and when I go to that page it directs me to another page and so on.

I'd really like to get the quick and fast CBC, of course, is that still possible? Since in some previous posts the quick one, the name check, is no longer given out. I'm apply for my CBC at the middle of March in fear of it expiring before my starting work date, but I'm also afraid it will get here to slowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: