Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian RCMP Criminal Check.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watergirl

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only overseas people need to sendin their fingerprints. also, I had to because i have a common name apparently.

you do need to ensure you ask for a check of the crbc? national database though.
rayne

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rayne on Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildbore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, a lot of people on here need to relax.

Yes, a check by the local police (ie. Vancouver) will suffice if it is stamped by the consulate.

Also, an RCMP fingerprint check can be obtained VERY QUICKLY if you are in Canada, because many local police forces and private companies take electronic fingerprints and can send that to the RCMP and pump out an official RCMP check in 3 days.

It is the people who are overseas that can't get access a local police force check, and have to deal with incompetent Korean police who can't take fingerprints properly on the fingerprint card, who have the problems.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
It took 4 months for them to finish the CRC. Now with the deadline fast approaching, it might taker unless the RCMP hire more staff. Our checks are all national, unlike with the Americans. So, your local department's check will be fine. If you're in Canada, get a name check with the local police. If you're abroad, you have to send your fingerprints. Other option I previously mentioned as well.

I was talking to my buddy back in Canada who is a provincial Crown Prosecutor and I mentioned about the insane time it takes to do the checks and he said that when they scan your finger prints into the computer it only eliminates about 90% of possible matches. Then, a finger print expert has to examine the other 10% with your fingerprints. Now, they're also busy doing the same for actual criminal cases when they do a name search and the person swears that the crimes committed under that name are not him so they have to do a fingerprint check using the aforementioned system. After the check is done the fingerprint person has to be flown to the particular province/jurisdiction in question to swear before a judge that the fingerprints match. I'm not sure how many finger print experts that the RCMP has in their HQ has but that explains why this process takes so long when you do it yourself. With the RCMP being part of the federal government they're also facing cuts.
Eedoryeong

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildbore wrote:

Yes, a check by the local police (ie. Vancouver) will suffice if it is stamped by the consulate.

Also, an RCMP fingerprint check can be obtained VERY QUICKLY if you are in Canada, because many local police forces and private companies take electronic fingerprints and can send that to the RCMP and pump out an official RCMP check in 3 days.

It is the people who are overseas that can't get access a local police force check, and have to deal with incompetent Korean police who can't take fingerprints properly on the fingerprint card, who have the problems.

I just wanted to say that I got off the phone with the RCMP office in Toronto as I will be there next week. The front desk said a walk-in fingerprinting will not be done in a few days and that it could take as long as 4 months. What am I supposed to do with that information? It seems like it is different according to which RCMP office you walk into.

EDIT: and I just spoke to another RCMP detachment in Toronto and that guy said:
-they don't do them for the general public so you can't walk in and order one
-it can take two months if there's no record
-these private agencies (e.g. civil fingerprinting services, commissionaires, etc) promise short turnarounds but they are only promising on their end of the work. If they promise four days and the check takes two months, that's four days plus two months.

If anyone can name a specific RCMP detachment in the GTA where one can walk in and get this done quickly, I'd love to know.
steveohan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the people that went through the winnipeg police, how did you do it?

i've been searching for a while now, and all the literature states that you must be available to pick up your background check in person.
how are you able to have the document sent to you in korea?
Wildbore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eedoryeong wrote:
Wildbore wrote:

I just wanted to say that I got off the phone with the RCMP office in Toronto as I will be there next week. The front desk said a walk-in fingerprinting will not be done in a few days and that it could take as long as 4 months. What am I supposed to do with that information? It seems like it is different according to which RCMP office you walk into.

EDIT: and I just spoke to another RCMP detachment in Toronto and that guy said:
-they don't do them for the general public so you can't walk in and order one
-it can take two months if there's no record
-these private agencies (e.g. civil fingerprinting services, commissionaires, etc) promise short turnarounds but they are only promising on their end of the work. If they promise four days and the check takes two months, that's four days plus two months.

If anyone can name a specific RCMP detachment in the GTA where one can walk in and get this done quickly, I'd love to know.

Try electronic fingerprints. Part delay comes from the RCMP having to manually enter the ink fingerprints into the matching system. The digital scan skips that step and the RCMP can go straight to start matching those with their records.
Wildbore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveohan wrote:
for the people that went through the winnipeg police, how did you do it?

i've been searching for a while now, and all the literature states that you must be available to pick up your background check in person.
how are you able to have the document sent to you in korea?

That hole has closed last December.

Winnipeg police service only caters to Winnipeg residents now, pretty much.
Eedoryeong

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that I am in Toronto and I just got my RCMP fingerprint apostilled criminal background check done for a particularly quirky employer in Korea. (This is not required by most employers). They don't care that Canada has one database of criminals and two agencies access it. They just want what they think they want. If not for the job's appeal I would have dumped it and gone onto a public school gig with more reasonable staff.

Anyway, I had clicked a direct link off of the RCMP's homepage and it took me to a real scheister who wanted to get my apostilled crbc to me for $663.00 Of course I declined but I was surprised they linked to him.

Just walked out of the commissionaire's office down near King & Yonge: $81.50, and it'll take 6-10 days, and that's live scan digital fingerprinting. So there you have it. It can be done quickly but you have to be present to digitally fingerprint and it won't be the same day.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eedoryeong wrote:
I just wanted to add that I am in Toronto and I just got my RCMP fingerprint apostilled criminal background check done for a particularly quirky employer in Korea. (This is not required by most employers). They don't care that Canada has one database of criminals and two agencies access it. They just want what they think they want. If not for the job's appeal I would have dumped it and gone onto a public school gig with more reasonable staff.

Anyway, I had clicked a direct link off of the RCMP's homepage and it took me to a real scheister who wanted to get my apostilled crbc to me for $663.00 Of course I declined but I was surprised they linked to him.

Just walked out of the commissionaire's office down near King & Yonge: $81.50, and it'll take 6-10 days, and that's live scan digital fingerprinting. So there you have it. It can be done quickly but you have to be present to digitally fingerprint and it won't be the same day.

Good to here but it is not over till the fat lady sings aka stamped/verified and accepted by the Korean Consulate. Please keep us informed of the details.

Thanks
Smudger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had an issue with Korean immi rejecting the RCMP Police certificate because it's non-fingerprint based? (The "yellow" paper that took about 10 minutes to get at my local RCMP and that I've had stamped by the Korean consulate in Vancouver.)

The certificate worked my last trip to Korea in 2009 but who knows what rule-of-the-minute is in place now.

I ask because a recruiter was adamant that Korean immi now wants fingerprint based CRCs and could potentially reject my current one. I'm doubtful but better to be safe.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smudger wrote:
Has anyone had an issue with Korean immi rejecting the RCMP Police certificate because it's non-fingerprint based? (The "yellow" paper that took about 10 minutes to get at my local RCMP and that I've had stamped by the Korean consulate in Vancouver.)

The certificate worked my last trip to Korea in 2009 but who knows what rule-of-the-minute is in place now.

I ask because a recruiter was adamant that Korean immi now wants fingerprint based CRCs and could potentially reject my current one. I'm doubtful but better to be safe.

The usually factors.

First of you want certainty get the RCMP fingerprint check. Still the whole CRC and immigration, plus recruiters thing nothing is really set in stone.

First factor - Recruiters - They do not always know the exact details for each process for paperwork. The take generalities and experience. Or they just listen to what everybody else says to do from the lazy immi official to the ignorant hagwon owner. Plus they have 7 countries to deal with. Each have their own special red tape.

Second factor - Immigration - It seems like every immigration official has their own special way to deal with paperwork. Some know the details, other just a basic idea.

Third Factor - Which department please, know with CRCs we have three departments to deal with. Immigration, Consulates/Embassies, and MOE. Each say one thing or say listen to the other.

Fourth Factor - Who is asking? I think, when a recruiter is working with EPIK/SMOE or POE, they basically ask for what they want. They are picky and they want RCMP fingerprint check and nothing else. No they do not care there are other ways or things are a bit wrong. They want what they want.

Fifth Factor - Always ABC never AB..D or CDF... Some people never get the clue there might be an alternative or a different way of doing something. Koreans at times can be very literal and adverse to thinging outside the box. So if they hear A...B...C... it has to be that. Rarely will you get, "ya but maybe we can try D ... E ... then maybe G.... skipping F..."

In my opinion. As long as the check is NATIONAL aka checked CPIC database you are fine. Plus it has been properly verified by the Korean consulate. Just tell the recruiter it will be fine but you get the fingerprints check in works.
watergirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my
So have people been reading the comments. Canadians don't need a federal CRC but there is some confusion amongst some recruiters because, maybe, the American citizens do need a federal one. the immigration hotline (1340?) told me to merely call them if the immigration official does not know that a proper provincial or local check is good enough.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends who you deal with.

Some immigration officials will demand a Federal CRC, some won't.

That's the main problem, there's no consistent policy. It's just a

hodgepodge mess of what ever the official feels like at the time.

This is exactly the mess that was predicted to happen when these

new regulations were first proposed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: