Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slowest teacher you ever had
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][[

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We managed to get ninjas from BoA over on the off topic forum
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Corporal Has A Point Reply with quote

Although I don't agree with all of your posts, I believe the last one is somewhat legitimate.

Since my time living in Korea (Summer of 1996) I have seen many types of teachers. I've worked with some good honest types and I've known a few sleaze balls too.

In my first year in Korea, my roommate and co-worker from Sanfrancisco, loved to try and seduce his 19 and 20 year old students. As far as I know, he was never successful. In the end, he usually looked like a fool. But he did get it on with one of the ajumas he taught in an ajumas' class.

At my last job (university), there was a guy who loved trying to look down his students' tops in the summer time. He even dong-shimmed the secretary once.

My point is, Korean women have feelings and should be treated with respect as any human being should be treated.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went off the original topic didn't it?

We are supposed to be teachers and responsible members of society. At least in my untermensch mentality.

I am an old guy and I figure that I've come to the end of the line but you don't want to mess with peoples minds.

I'd say this anywhere in the world, don't goof around with people's emotions.

Don't goof around faking teaching.

Be careful what you do, try to the best thing you can. You don't want to hurt anybody.

This inspired from a rather odd email I recieved today from Leni Riefenstahl today.

I don't think that she is so proud of what she launched in 1933 "It seemed like the thing to do at the time."
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatriateJoe :
Quote:
and I've known a few sleaze balls too.

Yes, it's true some of us don't behave professionally over here - part of that is because some of us are NOT professionals at all. I happen to consider myself to be one, though I have no teaching credentials back home (but I did have a lot of teaching experience before I came here, and I actually studied English in univ). Korea willfully and blithely hires college grads daily with not only no teaching experience but also with 4-year degrees in physics, geography, engineering, you name it ... so some of the responsibility for poor professional behavior lies with the market forces that impel schools to hire what they can get to fill their spaces.

Note: I've met many excellent teachers over here who also had no prior teaching experience or any paper qualifications to do the job, and perhaps a lot of you reading this are like that - no attack is intended here about that. Excellent teaching has more to do with temperament, inclination, and dedication that comes from a place we scientists like to call "the heart," and credentials from back home tend to merely confirm that a person has some commitment to the profession, but it doesn't create that kind of commitment. In short, there are also a lot of great teachers here who are not "professionals" ...

The point is that since Korea does not seek or require "professionals" one should not be surprised that many among us do not behave professionally.

The other point is that even back home, credentialed and tenured teachers often do not behave a whole lot better - Joe will remember that I made this point on another thread ... as in that case, thanks be to Joe for at least attempting to bring the discussion thread back on beam to its stated topic.

Now excuse me for a minute while I give someone the spanking they so richly deserve ...

Corporal :
Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Please, spare us any further such clarity. Despite the half-dozen of us who tried to instruct you on civil discourse, you wanna carry on with it ... bringing a guy's relationship with his gf into this, people you have never met and could not possibly have a chance of forming an opinion about, and turning it into a flamewar sufficent to divert the thread from its topic - self-indulgent and way past impolite. Even from the start, it was nothing more than ad hominem character assassination, and I'd say it's unworthy of you except that I've seen a few of your other posts elsewhere so in your case it's just sadly typical.

And that whole gender argument, how tired and really insulting to women who truly DO have trouble being taken seriously - basically, if someone disputes your opinion it can only mean that the person doesn't like ANY woman's opinion, whereas the obvious truth of the matter is that he's treating your opinion with the same respect he would if you were a man ...

We don't need that stuff. It's ugly, and it cheapens the whole board. Clean up your act, lady and get a clue ...

If you're interested, Beckerson IS coming back to Korea, so he'll be with his gf in a few weeks - it was old news even when you started this thing - but you weren't really interested in the first place, I'll wager, despite your supposed concern for the young woman. It was just a club to beat him over the head with because you had some left over steam from a similar set of ill-mannered responses you authored on another thread about "Megabombs" or somesuch. There, as here, you felt no responsibility toward general courtesy nor to keeping the thread topic intact, and your main tool of argument was to call your opponent ridiculous names.

mysteriousdeltarays
Quote:
I'd say this anywhere in the world, don't goof around with people's emotions.

As trite as such an idea sounds, it's the best advice I've heard here in a while.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobster, that was poetry.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: poetry Reply with quote

I liked that poetry. Wonder if there will be a part II ?
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's sad what a hard-on you people all have for Beckerson.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an urelated thought, but it did go thru my mind while reading this rather hostile thread.

Have any of ever noticed how some pretty homely western women manage to get good-looking Korean boyfriends? I mean much better looking than they would have snagged back home? Just an observation from my personal experience. I'm sure it's parallel to the phenomenon of the western geek going around with the hot Korean babe who would be out of his league back home. When I see either of these couples, I wonder if there is some hidden 'revenge' thinking going on.
kricket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met some teachers here that made me think, "Wow, if that guy/girl wasn't white there's no way in hell he/she would be working anywhere in the world, much less as a "teacher."
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Bobster"]ExpatriateJoe :
Quote:
and I've known a few sleaze balls too.

Now excuse me for a minute while I give someone the spanking they so richly deserve ...

Corporal :
Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Even from the start, it was nothing more than ad hominem character assassination, and I'd say it's unworthy of you except that I've seen a few of your other posts elsewhere so in your case it's just sadly typical.

And that whole gender argument, how tired and really insulting to women who truly DO have trouble being taken seriously - basically, if someone disputes your opinion it can only mean that the person doesn't like ANY woman's opinion, whereas the obvious truth of the matter is that he's treating your opinion with the same respect he would if you were a man ...

We don't need that stuff. It's ugly, and it cheapens the whole board. Clean up your act, lady and get a clue ...

If you're interested, Beckerson IS coming back to Korea, so he'll be with his gf in a few weeks - it was old news even when you started this thing - but you weren't really interested in the first place, I'll wager, despite your supposed concern for the young woman. It was just a club to beat him over the head with because you had some left over steam from a similar set of ill-mannered responses you authored on another thread about "Megabombs" or somesuch. There, as here, you felt no responsibility toward general courtesy nor to keeping the thread topic intact, and your main tool of argument was to call your opponent ridiculous names.

Look at yourself Bobster. Talk about character assassination. You were just saying that Corporal shouldn't judge people who she has never met, and yet you go on here and make judgements about her "despite your supposed concern for the young woman." When you engage in the same type of behaviour that you supposedly find so objectionable, don't be suprised if people don't take you seriously.
[]
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Have any of ever noticed how some pretty homely western women manage to get good-looking Korean boyfriends? I mean much better looking than they would have snagged back home? Just an observation from my personal experience.

This is kind of interesting though. Because, when you go home, I notice alot of really undesireable women with some really good-looking guys! And I wonder.. hmmm.. why would that guy want to deal with that? Then I remember he has probably never been to Asia before.. so he's stuck with what he can get.

But on the other hand!! I've noticed some REALLY HOT women in the West!! (usually asian girls incidently), but sometimes they get hooked up with some really goofy looking dud of a guy!! And then I think.. sheesh! I could easily compete with that guy and get that! sheesh!

anyhow, back to my the original quote that i was going to refer too.. ahmm.. no, i've never noticed homely western women getting any good-looking korean boyfriend before.. i'm gonna start paying attention though.. interesting observation..
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
anyhow, back to my the original quote that i was going to refer too.. ahmm.. no, i've never noticed homely western women getting any good-looking korean boyfriend before.. i'm gonna start paying attention though.. interesting observation..

Heh, I have though. Same friend I had that I mentioned in another thread. He hooked up with the homely new teacher at my school. He's no Kangta, but he's a pretty handsome guy. And, of all the people he could go for, he shot straight for her.

Tried to tell the guy in the nicest way possible that he could do better, but it flew over his head. -_-

GWoW's little ditty is exactly how the teacher who replaced me at my old workplace speaks. It's awful...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

Heh, I have though. Same friend I had that I mentioned in another thread. He hooked up with the homely new teacher at my school. He's no Kangta, but he's a pretty handsome guy. And, of all the people he could go for, he shot straight for her.

Yeah, interesting. Well, alot of Korean men tell me they DON'T like Korean girls because of all the exact reasons that most western men do like them. So its quite possible he's really into her..

I also notice too with African-American men in the States.. they often seem to date the more undesireable white women (in my opinion - they view it otherwise). But different tastes. Like alot of rap music boasting about the girl with a fat butt.. or they want a 'thick' girl as the music says..

Hmm.. I guess it is what makes the world go round quite nicely..

One of my favorite buddies in Seoul has exact opposite interests in woman than me. He's a great guy to hangout with. The most undesireable girl to him is the most desireable to me, and vice versa. Great guy to hangout with. He's into 'thick' girls.. and I'm into thin girls..

Anyhow, interesting topic. Another thing I noticed in the West and in Korea, is sometimes a really beautiful asian woman will get seriously involved with a kind of goofy looking or unattractive guy. Later I thought about it, and thats a good thing. They probably saw a guy with a really good heart!! A great guy who will take care of them and not wander astray with the wind like a handsome guy might. Anyhow, once I began to put 2 and 2 together like that.. I began to really appreciate that alot of Asian women put so much value into a man's inner being.. whereas in the West.. it seems most women are often more into a guy's image than vice-versa.. (despite the stereotype being the other way around)..
matko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw the image.

Screw the inner being.

All women everywhere are after one thing.

You figure it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: