Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading Town

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indyflyguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reading Town Reply with quote

Just a note for anyone considering working for the Olympic Park branch of this hagwon- don't!

The owner owes many former staff members large sums of money after they completed contracts. She refuses to pay after repeatedly saying she is financially strained.

Same owner owns another hagwon (a Kindy) named Wade (sp?).

I would definitely recommend staying far away from this shady establishment!!!
Kia1001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of this Reading Town owns a hagwon named Wade Kids Academy. Don't work there. Same deal as above. Both foreign and Korean teachers have filed complaints with the Labor board regarding back payments. She didn't pay by the Labor board's specified dates and is now being sued.
osg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the branch in Geumcheon (Seoul)? I've heard mixed reviews about Reading Town overall and there was only one review online for this branch:

"The Readingtown franchise offers a good range of material support. However, the curriculum is somehow both very ridged yet unorganized. I was promised many things before my arrival, and then found out that I was taking a pay cut for training, teaching 3-4 year olds without any Korean help, consistently forced to work outside of my contract hours, and basically treated like a piece of dirty property. Avoid Geumchun gu- Readingtown."

This was back in 2009 so I was wondering if anyone had anything to add or confirm about this branch? I've been offered a job there and am a little nervous after hearing all of the hagwon horror stories online. Thanks!
barca2121

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having deja vu. It feels like I've read this exact response three times now.
EZE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at the Olympic Park branch of Reading Town from June 2006 through June 2007 and it was great back then. Mrs. Soh always paid us on time. I had NHIC health insurance and pension. My apartment was clean and nice. And when I left Korea to go to Singapore, the flight was 350,000 won. I told her that would be enough, but she insisted on paying the 900,000 or so equivalent of a flight to the eastern USA. I tried to talk her out of it, but she insisted, which was very generous of her.

In addition to the extra 550,000 won in flight money she didn't have to pay, she regularly took us to VIPS and other nice restaurants and gave us cool gifts.

If she couldn't pay on time in 2011, she must've genuinely been having severe financial constraints. Buying or starting up Wade Kids could've put her under. Last year, my boss at Wonderland appeared to be having financial problems after she bought a local Child U branch and most of the kids dropped out. Maybe 25% of the Child U students were at Wonderland on the first day of the transition. But my Wonderland boss was always cutting corners and doing illegal shenanigans. My boss at Reading Town was absolutely a perfect boss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: