Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading Town schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starbunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reading Town schools? Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know anything about a school called Reading town (Gyeyang Campus)?? Question
kasain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a Reading town in Gumi. I also know the ESL teacher who works there. The school gives her TONS of crap. 3 weeks training no pay. Makes her take a taxi to teach her daughter after school, and doesnt pay the fees.

She gave her the smallest apartment I have ever seen in Korea. Smaller than a studio. They don't pay on time, among other things.

I would avoid this school if it is a chain.
greedy_bones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good ones and bad ones. I worked for one that was decent. Pay was on time, pension and medical were covered, and everything was legit. It's a franchise, so it depends on the location.

I wouldn't recommend it though for a few reasons. Although it's a franchise, the system is sold along with the name, and the system is terrible. For 30 hours of teaching, you'll have 20 or more hours of grading.

Also, the syllabi and supplementary material are terrible. While the concept of using western story books and teaching using them is good, the way they implement it is terrible. In 40 minutes, you're expected to cover ten pages of a story book and 5 pages of a workbook. The workbooks and supplementary materials are also designed to get the students to regurgitate passages from the book rather than discuss the books using their own words to discuss the book.
moosehead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard they used to be the Wonderland schools and just changed the name - but never confirmed this.

anyone know?
osg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the branch in Geumcheon (Seoul)? I've heard mixed reviews about Reading Town overall and there was only one review online for this branch:

"The Readingtown franchise offers a good range of material support. However, the curriculum is somehow both very ridged yet unorganized. I was promised many things before my arrival, and then found out that I was taking a pay cut for training, teaching 3-4 year olds without any Korean help, consistently forced to work outside of my contract hours, and basically treated like a piece of dirty property. Avoid Geumchun gu- Readingtown."

This was back in 2009 so I was wondering if anyone had anything to add or confirm about this branch? I've been offered a job there and am a little nervous after hearing all of the hagwon horror stories online. Thanks!
EZE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moosehead wrote:
I heard they used to be the Wonderland schools and just changed the name - but never confirmed this.

anyone know?

I don't know, but I'm doubting it. When I worked at the Olympic Park branch of Reading Town, there was a Wonderland adjacent to it. I was always paid on time, had a great apartment, and everything was perfect. People at the Wonderland had all of the usual complaints you hear about at Wonderlands. I worked at the Anyang branch of Wonderland, so having worked at a Wonderland and a Reading Town, I can't imagine the two franchises are connected in any way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: