Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get a PS job in Korea with these health issues?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Can I get a PS job in Korea with these health issues? Reply with quote

I have a minor hearing impairment (very minor; I don't have a hearing aid and it doesn't affect me in my daily life) and am on medication for hypothyroidism (the medication works perfectly, and it's a very common condition in North America). Will these "health conditions" bar me from getting a PS job in South Korea?

Some back story:

I just found out that the Ulsan MOE isn't interested in pursuing my application, but they didn't say why. I disclosed the health issues above. Other basic info: I have a Master's degree (not in English), I have some teaching experience (as a TA during my Master's and in numerous workshops, and I have a diploma in university teaching), and I'm a bit older than the early-twenty-somethings they're looking for.

The reason I suspect the rejection was due to health issues is that last month, through a different recruiter, I had applied to the Incheon and Jeolla MOEs, and was rejected from both because of health issues. The recruiter told me that Incheon was concerned about the thyroid, and that while Jeolla was OK with the thyroid, they didn't like "the combination of health issues listed." (I had disclosed more things in the Incheon and Jeolla applications - a minor dust allergy and a potential health issue not yet diagnosed - because I thought you had to disclose every possible thing since they threaten to kick you out of Korea at your own expense if they find out anything later.) At this point a friend now working in Korea told me a story he'd heard about this recruiter not being very good with health issues -- that a woman with diabetes applied through them and was told the same thing, but later she applied to EPIK through another recruiter and was hired. This is why I switched to the other recruiter.

The first recruiter told me (I don't know if this is true) that no MOE in Korea will hire anyone with thyroid issues, except for Jeolla province. Does anyone know if this is true?

(I have not applied to EPIK [long story, related to switching recruiters], but my application is on a wait list in case they re-open applications.)

Edit: Would it be possible for me to get a hagwon job with these health issues? I'd much rather work in a PS, but at this point I'm willing to consider other options.
minos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lie...if they don't check for it on the health test, no one will know.
yfb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your health issues, especially any possible mental ones, on a strictly need-to-know basis. In 99% of cases, Korea doesn't need to know.
HymanKaplan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfb wrote:
Keep your health issues, especially any possible mental ones, on a strictly need-to-know basis. In 99% of cases, Korea doesn't need to know.

I disclosed most of my mental health issues, namely a history of anxiety and depression. I'm on meds for those, so I had to. No problem.

~HK
writerly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely have to disclose the thyroid, because I'm on medication for that. I think I will explain that it is easily manageable and that I will bring a year's worth of medication with me, to try to ease any doubts they may have.

The first recruiter I was with told me that no MOEs in Korea will hire anyone with thyroid issues, other than Jeolla (which isn't an option now). Does anyone know if this is true?
writerly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HymanKaplan wrote:
I disclosed most of my mental health issues, namely a history of anxiety and depression. I'm on meds for those, so I had to. No problem.

Which MOE did you apply to, or did you apply through EPIK?
marsavalanche

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of people here have lied and gotten jobs
BankOfRC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's an issue.

Most people are not doctors, do not understand your condition nor do they care to. Medical problems= liability as far as they are concerned. There comes a point in life when you need the ability to know when to be honest or not when it comes to pursuing your goals. Why should they hire you over someone who can do the exact same job without said conditions or liability? Like I said, whether it is or not, does not matter, as far as paperwork goes it is.

Just understand, if it is a stable condition and no other problems will arise from it so be it. But , you will be entering a country where language barriers can be an issue with health concerns, especially if you are not near a good university hospital. What medication you are on is no ones but your business. The school, GEPIK, EPIK, whatever won't be able to help you. They aren't doctor's , they are teachers and what medication u are on they don't care to know. It's a simple screening procedure, you aren't hooked up to a polygraph for god sakes and they wont have access to your medical background. That being said, if I ever had concerns about my health, and had good support base or doctors back home, or there was a chance it could flare up, I would not come to Korea. Your health is not worth 20 000 a year .
writerly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BankOfRC wrote:
Just understand, if it is a stable condition and no other problems will arise from it so be it.... That being said, if I ever had concerns about my health, and had good support base or doctors back home, or there was a chance it could flare up, I would not come to Korea. Your health is not worth 20 000 a year.

It is completely stable and very minor. I was undiagnosed for years and I was fine -- mostly it affects weight and energy levels (and nothing extreme with regard to energy, you just feel tired a lot). I met with my naturopathic doctor recently, and he said that nothing I have would affect me at all for a year in Korea. Some things, if I ignore them (which I won't), could become a problem in ten years, but not anytime soon.

Having said that, my concern about not disclosing the thyroid condition is that I will be bringing medication with me. I would bring enough for the year, but I would imagine it's possible for them to discover that I am taking this medication since I will have the "evidence" on me.
BankOfRC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

writerly wrote:
BankOfRC wrote:
Just understand, if it is a stable condition and no other problems will arise from it so be it.... That being said, if I ever had concerns about my health, and had good support base or doctors back home, or there was a chance it could flare up, I would not come to Korea. Your health is not worth 20 000 a year.

It is completely stable and very minor. I was undiagnosed for years and I was fine -- mostly it affects weight and energy levels (and nothing extreme with regard to energy, you just feel tired a lot). I met with my naturopathic doctor recently, and he said that nothing I have would affect me at all for a year in Korea. Some things, if I ignore them (which I won't), could become a problem in ten years, but not anytime soon.

Having said that, my concern about not disclosing the thyroid condition is that I will be bringing medication with me. I would bring enough for the year, but I would imagine it's possible for them to discover that I am taking this medication since I will have the "evidence" on me.

If you won't have any problems then I would honestly not disclose it. They won't find about your medication unless you disclose it. They aren't that well organized lol.
HymanKaplan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

writerly wrote:
HymanKaplan wrote:

Which MOE did you apply to, or did you apply through EPIK?

I work at a hagwon in Sueseong-gu. A very small chain with five branches.

That said, depression and anxiety are both very common among Westerners. If you have schizophrenia or something of that sort, you should probably keep it to yourself.

HK
dbtm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blood and urine tests are for HIV and drugs. They won't know you are on medication unless they specifically test for it.
Modernist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would NOT, ever, disclose any medication you are taking if you want a PS job.

Like you said, bring a year's supply of medication and say NOTHING about it to anyone. I didn't see anyone at Incheon searching luggage. Just strip the labels off the bottles and if by chance you are asked say it's for allergies or headaches or something innocent-sounding.

If you can, just bring about 2 months worth, depending on how much you have to take daily, and then have a friend ship you the rest once you're set up OK.

They make a big ridiculous deal out of a lot of very simple medical issues and conditions in this country. Keep it to yourself and you'll be fine. They do not and cannot ever see your medical history or know anything you don't tell them.
ssuprnova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernist wrote:

If you can, just bring about 2 months worth, depending on how much you have to take daily, and then have a friend ship you the rest once you're set up OK.

Not a good idea. There were a few people who went down this route and had their packages withheld by customs for importing non-KFDA approved drugs; don't know how it played out but you don't want to be running out of meds that you need because of some legal issues. If it's something you need on a regular basis just bring enough for a year.
writerly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what everyone's saying. It's very good to know -- I had no idea it was like that, but it makes sense. I suppose if it's misunderstood and everyone else does it, it puts those of us who do disclose at a severe disadvantage.

My final question is: I had disclosed health conditions on applications to a few of the MOEs (not EPIK). If I apply to other MOEs or to EPIK disclosing nothing, is it possible that they may find out about the other applications at some point (and use that as an excuse to kick me out)? Also, I am assuming I can never re-apply to those same MOEs, that they would have kept my old application to consult in the future. Is this true?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: