Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still lousy at Korean?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapier

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventureman wrote:
I went to the movies on Sunday. When I went to buy my tickets, the girl in the booth saw me coming from a distance. Before I was even FINISHED walking up to ticket booth, instead of even giving me a millisecond to try to say something to her in Korean (which I have been attempting to learn lately and was eager to practice), she immediately grabbed her co-worker, who spoke more fluently in English and refused to business with me in Korean. This is not the first time I have subject to this kind of prejudice behavior.

Racisim. Another reason to be turned off to learning this country's language.

I wouldn't necessarily think racism- you took the worst reaction to that possible. what they were doing was showing how professional they were and how able to provide you with the best service they could. They were saying "we're organised and professional: we even speak English fluently".
It was nothing personal.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with rapier here. If they did not want to speak Korean, they were trying to say that you are the customer and you should not have to trouble yourself. I used to think like you. But, many times when I meet a Korean in the States, I just speak in Korean to make him or her more comfortable, especially friends of my parents. They may have been in the States for 20 years, but they still prefer I speak Korean to them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
adventureman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I realize that they probably weren't trying to be malicious about it or anything, but don't you find it fustrating at times when you are trying to practice Korean for practicial purposes and certain people automatically refuse to let you demonstate your ablilites?
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ever pretend not to understand? That works in front of a person who's not very good at English anyway. It does suck when you're trying to learn Korean, but you can do something about it. Switch to a different line in the movie theatre, just keep responding in Korean when they ask you in English...don't get mad but be very firm in using Korean if that's what you want to use. You were the one who took the plane thousands of miles to get here after all.
I remember getting really mad at a guy from a PC bang a few years back when I was first learning Korean. He asked me if I spoke Korean (in Korean) and I said yes, a little, and then he proceeded to go all out in English and even started talking about how comfortable the seats were and here, I'll give you a 500W discount because you're a foreigner and blah blah blah...I wasn't good enough to talk back in confident Korean at the time so I just left but wished that I was better at it. I guess that's pretty much the same thing that happened to you then?
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

If I am in the mood to speak Korean to them, I will answer their English questions in Korean.

I ordered food tonight on the phone. The ajumma was very patient with me. The food got there just fine.

When I am comfortable, I can speak quite well. Maybe that's why drunk people can speak better.
Homer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but don't you find it fustrating at times when you are trying to practice Korean for practicial purposes and certain people automatically refuse to let you demonstate your ablilites?

Yes, much like they must find it frustrating when they are trying to practice English for practical purposes and certain waeguks automatically refuse to let them demonstrate their abilities.... Laughing

Adventureman, what you mentionned was annoying indeed....but racism? I think not.
jajdude

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I've seen 'em get uptight numerous when the foreign guy approaches, even to comment "waygookin" to other workers, giggle or whatever. And usually the little transaction is real simple, barely requires any language at all, maybe "here" or "take out" or whatever. I think they just get uptight having to deal with a foreigner period, though perhaps mainly it's a language (worry) thing. I don't quite get that they seem embarrassed not to speak much English. Perhaps they have the idea that they should know it somehow? Despite almost never actually speaking it? Or almost never meeting foreigners?
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to get a solid understanding of why there are such issues with English here.

The curriculum for elementary school kids is downright terrible. For the first year, they are only supposed to listen or if they have to be taught to speak, it's purely rote. With that as the foundation- I'm surprised anyone can speak English
Harin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied English by watching lots of TV shows in high school; Golden Girls, Matlock, Roseanne, Cheers, Wonder Years, Cosby Show, Beverly Hills, 90210, Doogie Howser M.D., Home Improvement, Mad About You, Seinfeld, Married... With Children, Beavis and Butthead, Simpsons, etc.

I learned so much and by the time I graduated from high school, I could speak fluent English. I am not kidding you, watch TV more often. Sometimes, TV is not all that bad as they say.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I can't stand Korean programs for the most part.
Harin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:

Just be more patient....you will learn new expressions and vacabs every day. Well, write them down and practice it with yourself or your Korean friends. I used to talk to myself all the time. My mun thought I went mad. Embarassed
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I like this quote, as it's something I've thought about quite a lot.
Tell me if you remember this song:
Step by step, ooh baby, gonna get to you giiiiirl....
Anybody my age (24) will, but it doesn't mean they were a big fan of NKOTB, or even that they liked them a bit. Most people in a country share a knowledge base that they haven't chosen themself, and one's goal as a language learner is to obtain the same thing, whether one likes it or not. That's why it's also important to learn kid's songs and books, jokes that aren't that funny, songs that aren't good but everybody knows, and so on.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Adventureman!

I am of similar sentiment.
I would respond in greater detail, but I've already said it all in older topics.
Take a look:

"How do you keep people from practicing English with you?"

Korean view of prejudice

Anyone speak Korean at work?

Can Koreans detect a newbie?

If you speak Korean, why do Koreans answer in English?

Do many Koreans think foreigners are stupid?

How do you feel about Koreans speaking to you in English?
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomato wrote:
Can Koreans detect a newbie?

Some can definitely, and they do something freaky to see your reaction too.

If you think about how keen people are on studying english out here, it's no wonder they enjoy trying it out when they see a foreigner. It's a lot easier for you to meet a korean to try out your skills on than vice-versa.
adventureman

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: