Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: BREAKING CONTRACT -> REFUND AIRFARE Reply with quote

bermanator1989 wrote:
I am considering leaving my Hagwon before my contract is up. I have been here 3 months.

Why? Perhaps it's not as bad as you feel at the moment. Post why and you might get some good advice on how to deal with whatever that situation is.

Quote:
My contract doesn't say anything about having to refund the airfare to korea...but I have heard that this happens all the time. If it is not in my contract, can they make me pay?

If it's not in the contract, then, no, they cannot legally do that. What they might do is just take it out of whatever pay you're owed. If you leave at just three months in, I would not be in the least surprised if they just do not pay you anything for the final month there. If that were to happen, you would have to take action at the Labor Board, action that is quite time consuming.
bermanator1989

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your reply! I got switched into doing preschool despite my wanting to remain in afternoon school. I do not have the energy to work with 5 year Olds. AND...I am home sick. Haha conditions at the school are fine. ..it's the job that is not.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bermanator1989 wrote:
Thanks very much for your reply! I got switched into doing preschool despite my wanting to remain in afternoon school. I do not have the energy to work with 5 year Olds. AND...I am home sick. Haha conditions at the school are fine. ..it's the job that is not.

If you leave at this point they will claw back their costs from your salary leaving you no option but to fight it out at a labor tribunal.

You also need to be aware that if you leave early there is a very real possibility that you may not be allowed to change employers or get a new E2 until the end date of your contract anyway (meaning that you have to fund your stay in Korea without legal work until the tribunal finds in your favor and you manage to collect your unpaid wages).

A MNR is always an option but it will dump the load onto your co-workers for your immaturity.

Homesickness and culture shock are real issues but they can also be dealt with by means other than running back to mama's couch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: