Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEPIK budget cut puts foreign English teachers� jobs at risk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaelsano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Typical. My last school in gyeonggi spent like 30 million won on an english zone then ran out of money for teachers salaries as i was leaving.

Back in my neck of the woods in new york state all the public schools laid off all teachers with less than 3 yrs of history at their respective schools. ALL of them. But the school budget vote had an option to squeeze more taxes out of the working class to buy new busses (not hybrids mind you just "newer"). No option for "dont screw over our schools and faculty". My mOther worked as one districts accountant (volunteer) one year recently. Tbe bastards are sitting on 8 million dollars of a rainy day fund that hasnt been touched in 20 years.

Gepik is so dumb. The other, "less desirable" provinces entice NETs with higher salaries and make do with only one computer lab. Gepik blows its budget on signs in konglishee (thanks for effectively using your NET!!!!!) and can barely Pay korean or foreign faculty. Screw gepik. And screw smoe for crap wages in the most expensive city in korea. Screw cohibas rule too.
Julius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaelsano wrote:
My last school in gyeonggi spent like 30 million won on an english zone then ran out of money for teachers salaries as i was leaving.

My school blew 60M on it. The company doing the refurbishment must have laughed all the way to the bank because from what I saw their work could not have been worth that amount. There was some re-plastering and re-painting but that was about it. The formica panelling was broken within weeks.

It seems like a lot of people took their cut from the golden english goose. 3 years back gyeonngi was awash with govt money.

Its almost as if the FT was just a necessary inconvenience on the whole gravy train.
rainism

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gepik blows its budget on signs in konglishee (thanks for effectively using your NET!!!!!)

OUCH!. so true! . My EZ has a nonsensical Konglishee slogan outside on the wall. I squirm each and every time i see it.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:

Its almost as if the FT was just a necessary inconvenience on the whole gravy train.

Take the "almost" out of your last sentence and you'd be spot on.
Bruce W Sims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Julius wrote:

Absolutely 100% correct!!

Like Healthcare, Education has become nothing more than a gravy train which owes its life to the fact that it is attached to an emotion-charged service (IE. Education for the survival and success of the next generation). Please notice that without a single exception, funding for Education, when threatened, always returns to the impact that such cuts have on the student. Inflated bureacracies, tenured synchophants and myriads of "consultants" never get discussed. Similarly, discussion of cutting waste in Healthcare always comes back to footage of the blond-haired, blue-eyed little child, wheezing infrequently on their oxygen. No talk of physicians incessantly raising their fees, exorbitant medications or of hospitals within miles of each other in a techno-war over who will have the latest model of MRI.

Our students deserve a lot better than competing in the labor markets with fancy degrees and certifications that are practically meaningless.

If I could have my fantasies I would relish a school solely supported by a cluster of corporations who dictated what kind of skillset they would employ and then subsidize the school to produce successful holders of that skillset. No government in between; just just private enterprise asking for tailor-trained employees who would get employment if they successfully graduated the program. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
English Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce W Sims wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:
Julius wrote:

Like Healthcare, Education has become nothing more than a gravy train which owes its life to the fact that it is attached to an emotion-charged service (IE. Education for the survival and success of the next generation). Please notice that without a single exception, funding for Education, when threatened, always returns to the impact that such cuts have on the student. Inflated bureacracies, tenured synchophants and myriads of "consultants" never get discussed. Similarly, discussion of cutting waste in Healthcare always comes back to footage of the blond-haired, blue-eyed little child, wheezing infrequently on their oxygen. No talk of physicians incessantly raising their fees, exorbitant medications or of hospitals within miles of each other in a techno-war over who will have the latest model of MRI.

Our students deserve a lot better than competing in the labor markets with fancy degrees and certifications that are practically meaningless.

If I could have my fantasies I would relish a school solely supported by a cluster of corporations who dictated what kind of skillset they would employ and then subsidize the school to produce successful holders of that skillset. No government in between; just just private enterprise asking for tailor-trained employees who would get employment if they successfully graduated the program. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Thank god we don't live in your fantasy world then.
Bruce W Sims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Matt wrote:
Bruce W Sims wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:
Julius wrote:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Thank god we don't live in your fantasy world then.

Of course... you're probably right. How much better with our current condition of graft, corruption, inept decision-making and chronic uncertainty. Much better, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes

Best Wishes,

Bruce
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced something like that in Mexico.

I taught company classes to employees of a manufacturing company.

Classes were small, students were tired and largely un-motivated. I think the before or after work schedule didn't help much.

There are similar jobs in Korea I believe.

It was better I suppose that the students were adults, but overall I didn't see much of a difference in the results.

The classes were run by a private academy (hagwon) whose promises to the company were over-blown and whose expectations placed on teachers/students were excessive (to say the least).
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce W Sims wrote:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

You could work for a hagwon. Might be close to your dream.
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
gaelsano wrote:
My last school in gyeonggi spent like 30 million won on an english zone then ran out of money for teachers salaries as i was leaving.

My school blew 60M on it. The company doing the refurbishment must have laughed all the way to the bank because from what I saw their work could not have been worth that amount. There was some re-plastering and re-painting but that was about it. The formica panelling was broken within weeks.

Mine was a wreck in no time. But don't worry. As Patrick has noted, the acceptance of these state of the art improvements to English education is inevitable. It's only a matter of time.
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
Bruce W Sims wrote:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Something tells me that Bruce has, if he ever should make it to Korea, runner written all over him.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an on-going trend of people moving from Seoul to major cities in Gyeonggi-do (Incheon, Suwon, etc) due to a subprime mortgage-ish crisis in Seoul. It's too bad those kids will get a crappier public-level education service.
Bruce W Sims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morrisonhotel wrote:
isitts wrote:
Bruce W Sims wrote:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Something tells me that Bruce has, if he ever should make it to Korea, runner written all over him.

Well.....I might surprise you. At 60 I can teach with the best of them..... but I don't run like I used to. Wink

Best Wishes,

Bruce
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Some people clearly do not grasp the simple concept of perspective and changes over time... Laughing
sojusucks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has always been debate in S.K. about having foreign teachers. Knowing English is important for some of the higher positions with Samsung and other companies. Parents want their children to learn English, preferably from a NET, in order to have a chance at obtaining these jobs. Most of us have ran into discrimination against foreigners while in Korea. It is there, but the question is how deeply does it run.

I have a feeling that GEPIK has been planning this for some time. Remember Wenise Kim? She actually tried to help us the best she could. Once she was fired and they keep their bully Dain Bae, I knew that GEPIK no longer cared about NETs. This was not an accident.

You all may claim that running out of money is short sited but I think it was part of the plan for a few years now. Just look around and you can see some of the pieces that point towards a policy change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: