Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you need an FBI check urgently
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

failan wrote:
hm, today i got back the apostilled cbc. after i received, i called them to ask if they were sure it'd be accepted by korean immigration. his response was entirely not sure.

he said it was the first time they ever apostilled one that was done through a channeler.

he did however say that in the past, they apostilled statebackground checks that didn't have letterhead paper like mine. my cbc looks basically like a notepad file with a bunch of numbers all over it.

on the cbc though it does say "FBI CJIS division," so he said that might help?

he told me to call them back to let them know if it goes through since they really don't know.

i'm gonna email the scans to my recruiter. i have my doubts.

*groan*

If it gets accepted, you'll be extremely lucky. The appearance of it is the important bit, if it looks like a notepad file with a bunch of numbers all over it, the immigration officer is going to notice immediately. The validity doesn't matter. They want the real deal.

Good luck with your application, but I don't recommend advising anyone else to do this at the moment.

kingsurfer wrote:
I called the immigration hotline (1345) a couple days ago and asked about the US embassy affidavit. The person on the phone told me that this was not true at all, or was outdated.

Where are you getting this information from? Who told you this?

I am beginning to realize that a majority of these websites (esl cafe, koreabridge, etc are filled with information that is false or inaccurate.

Yeah, not to knock anybody posting on this thread, but all of these little "outs" that people try to find pretty much end up falling flat. I was starting to get my hopes up for this one, a kind of "pay through the nose to expedite it" possibility, but it sounds like it's bogus, unfortunately.

The affidavit thing was nicked a while ago, and I think that was due to the American Embassy whining about it, not Kimmi.
failan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating from my phone... Recruiter cant accept it. However, i didnt lose my job. And if it comes later, he said ill just start work latee... Was worth a try. Ill call my gov to see if he can spees up my regular cbc i sent in a month ago.
failan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys. we're not heroes after all. just some ppl with wishing something could've been true when it wasn't. at least apostillepros said i can get a refund.

i was supposed to be in korea august 30th. my recruiter called, said the stuff wasn't accepted, and said that if fbc comes this month, just scan to him and i can be there. i'll probably use apostille pros for that thing.

well, that's all. my job is totally delayed, and i hope everyone else is gonna be alright. at least i can sleep at night now.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said recruiters can't accept it. Did he send it to immi ?
Did immi reject it?

I wonder if I went into my immi office with my director, contract, diploma and Biometric fbi check if they would reject me ? Even with 4 prior visas?.
different

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the recruiter may not be the last word on this.

Quote:
if fbc comes this month, just scan to him and i can be there. i'll probably use apostille pros for that thing.

So you can use Apostille Pros to save a few weeks after the FBI check comes back?

Thanks for all the updates and stuff, by the way.
failan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i did ask him if he tried. i'm not sure if he answered that one. he just said, "there's no way to verify it. fbi background checks come on the official paper." so, i don't really think he did quite go to immi to check it out.

it's worth a try to go to the immi office. just try it out, you might as well.

however, as i said before, the below website says

http://www.gone2korea.com/background-checks.html

Quote:

# All teachers (from all nationalities) should submit Criminal Record Checks (CRC) that contains the following criteria: letterhead, contact information of the police department or government office that issued the check, the search results and a police/government logo, or stamp, or raised seal. Failing to secure a check with these criterions may result in visa delays or the request to submit a new CRC.

# CRC's issued through third party providers are not acceptable with Korean Immigration. Meaning: you can NOT use a private company to obtain the background check; it MUST come directly from a police department or government office/bureau. Additionally, checks that were ordered online & come as �print outs� are NOT accepted by the Korean authorities.

the accubio cbc isn't on letterhead, not really any contact info, no gov logo.

i frankly don't know since i don't think my recruiter tried it with the immi office.

just try it out anyway though.
different

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if one waits for the 8-week FBI check, is it definitely acceptable to use Apostille Pros after that?
failan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't say definitively. if you call apostille pros, they probably can tell you with certainty about it because i'm sure they've gotten that before. i was the first one to ever send them the accubio cbc, and that's why they couldn't answer me.

there's another thread on this forum about the cbc apostille thing. let me find it for you really quickly. some people there have used apostille pros.

i know what you meant -- u dont want to wait 8 weeks and then ruin it with something of no value.
failan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=207342&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=congressman&start=45

lost of ppl there talked about the apostille pros thing. i think i mentioned some sources before in this thread about ppl successfully using them.

good luck. i'm learning a lot from this site.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostillepros should be fine. It's just expedited service so you don't have to wait or go in person.

It's the rush CBC company that isn't kosher.

I'd like to point out to people reading along and hoping to utilize this service that, even if someone successfully submits a CBC this way, I highly recommend going about it the normal way. Just because one or two people manage to slip through doesn't mean you should bank on this being a viable alternative.
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingssurfer wrote:
Quote:
jinju necklace wrote:
The immigration office is accepting FBI checks that have an affidavit attached from the US embassy in Seoul instead of an apostille. I wonder if they would they would also accept a FBI check from accuratebiometrics with the same affidavit from the embassy.

They stopped doing that early last year. Did they start accepting the affidavits again?

Yes, they have. As of this moment at least.

I called the immigration hotline (1345) a couple days ago and asked about the US embassy affidavit. The person on the phone told me that this was not true at all, or was outdated.

Where are you getting this information from? Who told you this?

I am beginning to realize that a majority of these websites (esl cafe, koreabridge, etc are filled with information that is false or inaccurate.

When you call the hotline, the people that answer are just call center workers, they are not immigration officers. They have a handbook that they refer to. They are not always up-to-date with the latest information. Normally, I call 3-4 times to make sure I get the same answer (usually I don't get the same answer).

For accurate information, when you call the hotline you need to either have them put you on hold while they confirm with an actual immigration officer, or ask them to connect you directly to an immigration officer. That's the only way to get factual and updated information.

I know two teachers who went to the Seoul immigration office, were told by the immigration officer that they could get an affidavit from the US embassy in Seoul, went and got the affidavit, returned to the immigration office, and it was accepted and their visas were renewed. This happened last week.

I don't know how long they will continue to accept the affidavit but if you visit the immigration office this month it could be an option.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

failan wrote:
i called accuratebiometrics, and the representative said the cbc has the same validity as one done through the fbi since it basically done thru the fbi but just expedited.

i called aposttillerpros,and the guy said "i think it should work." he said he was 50/50 on it. he did offer to do a refund if it doesnt work out.

accuratebiometrics has only been doing this for 2 weeks, so the representative didn't know that much.

i really just don't know at this point. i'm worried to death.

Sorry it didn't work out. I was waiting to see if it were going to work, but nothing has changed. I just got off the phone with Accuratebiometrics and she confirmed nothing has changed in that a response needing an apostille from the DOS requires a response directly from the FBI. She told me she has received many calls from all over the world such as Morocco, Spain, Australia, and Korea from Americans trying to set it up to go teach in Korea and even recently discussed this English teaching in Korea matter with the FBI, but no changes have been made to allow a channelers response to be valid for apostille as to speed up the process to a timeframe that makes more sense. She said the FBI upped the response time from 6 weeks to 8 weeks to the current 12 weeks so it's badly over due for an overhaul. I told her they must be severely backed up in their West Virginia office and it'd be a good idea for someone that can, to keep talking to them about this in attempt to speed these up, because people need them much sooner when a job offer requires it to legally employ you through obtaining a visa.

All I can say is do it early or wait it out, even if you don't know for sure, if and when you are going since it's only $18. When you are staying several months longer at your parents or someone else's place, you really wish America had, "goshiwon," rooms and easy to get restaurant or retail jobs to tie you over as to keep an acceptable level of indepedence as an adult, but that's another issue.
failan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well..

i did send in my CBC to the fbi 1 month ago. today i wrote a letter to my congressman, hand delivered it, and filled out a form so case-workers can look into getting my CBC processed faster. that's all i have to rely on right now.

ah well. 3 months is way too long. they should hire more workers smthng :S.
lorunner07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know what happens if immigration denies this CBC from accurate biometrics? would they throw out your application or would they contact you and tell you they need the "official" one from the FBI?

I sent in for both background checks and am wondering if I should wait for the "official" one or chance it with the acc bio one. I'd obviously wait if it completely stops my chance of getting to korea.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wouldn't outright reject the application for that. They just wouldn't grant the visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: