Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chanel bags in Korea: 5.7 million won
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulofseoul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cwflaneur"][quote="Fox"]

[quote="madoka"] I have my share of luxury goods. I don't really care if others have the same luxury goods. I like a well-made product for what it is, a well-made product. [/quote]

Last I checked, this thread wasn't about you and whatever purchases you may or may not have made. It was about women paying [b]thousands of dollars[/b] for [b]hand bags[/b]. That cannot be explained away by the quality of the craftsmanship, because the utility provided by a bag is simply too low. A bag can only be so "well crafted." It's a [b]bag[/b]. [/quote]

Maybe... probably. I don't know anything about women's bags, but there's a pretty high level of work that goes into the best-made briefcases. [i]But[/i] even those cost less than a Chanel bag, and instead of being tossed out after a year, they're meant to be kept for a lifetime:
http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/westwrap_dc/index.html
I'm sure there is some status value in it for the men who buy those cases, [b]but the price also reflects the skilled hand-craftsmanship that goes into making one[/b].[/quote]

trust me! Korean girls arent buying 5K purses for the stitching :roll: :roll:
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is still rumbling on eh? Let's be honest fellas, most of us guys would give our right nut to get with some of these chicks, but the designer bag is a major obstacle because we don't have the means to fund the girl. Meaning most of them won't give it up to us - now or ever. Life sucks.
rainism

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give up anything much less one of my nuts, but preferences vary, eh?

in related news

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2011/09/182_94470.html

then the was the story in the KT about how imported jeans are 7 to 10X as expensive in Korea as in the US for e.g. because tariffs aside, the "Korean importers" jack up the price by sevenfold plus.

(and they lie about it on their Korean tax/customs forms)

I love Korean "bidness". Don't you? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Rip-off jean merchants

Imported jeans are sold at many times the original prices. At top is a pair of Diesel jeans and, below, a True Religion jean label.
Diesel, Dsquared, D&G and True Religion sell for 10 times wholesale prices

By Kang Seung-woo

Kim Youn-soo, a 28-year-old style aficionado, used to put on a pair of True Religion jeans when she was in the United States during her internship.

However, since her return here, she has never thought about purchasing the premium denims in Korea because the price tags here are preposterously much higher than those in America both on- and off-line.

�It does not make sense at all that the gap in price between the two countries is so even when taking tariffs into consideration,� Kim said.

Now, Kim has gotten a clue on why she has not been able to wear the high-end jeans in her native home, as the Seoul Main Customs disclosed Tuesday that local importers have inflated the prices of premium jeans by as much as sevenfold
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This jacking up of prices exists throughout Korea and it comes down to nothing but pure greed. I paid 5,000 won for 5 nectarines. That's more than double the price of the UK - a country well known for being expensive.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you who think we pay too much for fruit, there's someone out there who thinks you are paid too much to be an English monkey.

Hey, if people pay 5,000 for nectarines and they use it to send their kids to hagwon and pay my salary, so much the better.

I have no problem being a link in the rip-off chain.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
All of you who think we pay too much for fruit, there's someone out there who thinks you are paid too much to be an English monkey.

Hey, if people pay 5,000 for nectarines and they use it to send their kids to hagwon and pay my salary, so much the better.

I have no problem being a link in the rip-off chain.

They pay your hagwon in nectarines? Does your employer use a fruit-based payment scale?
rainism

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of my fave passages from the book " The Korean War"
by Max Hastings

(recommended reading btw)

" In a fit of benevolent reforming zeal after their arrival,, the Americans greatly eased the burdensome conditions of landowning for the peasants - a highly popular measure - and also introduced a free market in rice. The traditional rice surplus was a strongpoint of the Korean economy. Now, suddenly, by a measure introduced with the best of intentions, the Americans unleashed a wave of speculation, hoarding and profiteering on a scale the country had never seen. The price of a bushel of rice soared from 9.4 yen in Sep. 1945 to 2800 yen just a year later. Officials were making vast fortunes through rice smuggling and speculation. "
shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainism wrote:
by Max Hastings

" In a fit of benevolent reforming zeal after their arrival,, the Americans greatly eased the burdensome conditions of landowning for the peasants - a highly popular measure - and also introduced a free market in rice. The traditional rice surplus was a strongpoint of the Korean economy. Now, suddenly, by a measure introduced with the best of intentions, the Americans unleashed a wave of speculation, hoarding and profiteering on a scale the country had never seen. The price of a bushel of rice soared from 9.4 yen in Sep. 1945 to 2800 yen just a year later. Officials were making vast fortunes through rice smuggling and speculation. "

Out of curiosity, why do you think that's one of your favourite passages?
rainism

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapeshifter wrote:
rainism wrote:
by Max Hastings

Out of curiosity, why do you think that's one of your favourite passages?

fits in so well with what I consider accepted everyday price gouging of the Korean consumer on almost every level. (producer, (unnecessary middleman), etc.

a "free market" can be very dangerous just about everywhere, but especially so in Korea. (and I would think, China)
Illysook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
This jacking up of prices exists throughout Korea and it comes down to nothing but pure greed. I paid 5,000 won for 5 nectarines. That's more than double the price of the UK - a country well known for being expensive.

The price varies depending on where you live. In my neighborhood, those nectarines are 3000 Won, but you can get a huge hand of bananas for the same price, so instead of complaining about the price of nectarines, I buy the bananas.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I don't see anyone here volunteering to take a pay cut either.

Go out and make what you can.
rainism

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Again, I don't see anyone here volunteering to take a pay cut either.

Go out and make what you can.

my dream job would be the "Korean middleman".

Unfortunately, I don't qualify Sad

that said, I couldn't be an American middleman either. Wouldn't be able to sleep like a baby at night.
soulofseoul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats more annoying is that Korean men have actually jumped on this trend with overpriced wallets and bags. Sheep..the lot of them
rainism

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulofseoul wrote:
Whats more annoying is that Korean men have actually jumped on this trend with overpriced wallets and bags. Sheep..the lot of them

Korean willingness to consistently overpay is the single biggest factor as to how/why the entire crooked economic structure not only continues in place unabated, but continues to flourish.

Korea is far from alone in having this problem of stupid and inflexible demand, but it's more acute here than most other places.
happiness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainism wrote:
I wouldn't give up anything much less one of my nuts, but preferences vary, eh?

in related news

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2011/09/182_94470.html

then the was the story in the KT about how imported jeans are 7 to 10X as expensive in Korea as in the US for e.g. because tariffs aside, the "Korean importers" jack up the price by sevenfold plus.

(and they lie about it on their Korean tax/customs forms)

I love Korean "bidness". Don't you? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Rip-off jean merchants

Imported jeans are sold at many times the original prices. At top is a pair of Diesel jeans and, below, a True Religion jean label.
Diesel, Dsquared, D&G and True Religion sell for 10 times wholesale prices

By Kang Seung-woo

Kim Youn-soo, a 28-year-old style aficionado, used to put on a pair of True Religion jeans when she was in the United States during her internship.

However, since her return here, she has never thought about purchasing the premium denims in Korea because the price tags here are preposterously much higher than those in America both on- and off-line.

�It does not make sense at all that the gap in price between the two countries is so even when taking tariffs into consideration,� Kim said.

Now, Kim has gotten a clue on why she has not been able to wear the high-end jeans in her native home, as the Seoul Main Customs disclosed Tuesday that local importers have inflated the prices of premium jeans by as much as sevenfold

i just bought a pair of black Rainbow Billys (True Religion) for 99,000won from an official True dealer. It was the last pair and it was a size 36 in black (he only had 2 more pair of 36s in the whole store!) True here tend to sell like in 3 designs, Im guessing the ones the TV stars wear. I couldnt believe it but the guy marked them to move, and move they did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: