Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chanel bags in Korea: 5.7 million won
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qcat79

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
qcat79 wrote:
i was eating pizza at pizzarium in itaewon this past weekend, and this korean girl with her gucci bag wanted to put it in the chair at our table. i said put it on the floor.

you should've seen the look on her face.

Remember this the next time you have something you want to put on a chair and somebody tells you no "just because".

Seriously, is this supposed to make you look good or something?

yes, j-off. it is. it's called putting people in their place.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcat79 wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
qcat79 wrote:
i was eating pizza at pizzarium in itaewon this past weekend, and this korean girl with her gucci bag wanted to put it in the chair at our table. i said put it on the floor.

Remember this the next time you have something you want to put on a chair and somebody tells you no "just because".

Why the need to do so? What is her place exactly? If you weren't using the chair, why not let her use it?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulofseoul wrote:
Whats more annoying is that Korean men have actually jumped on this trend with overpriced wallets and bags. Sheep..the lot of them

Thank goodness we have Che over here to guide us away.

99% of people who call people sheeple are sheeple themselves.

qcat79 wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
qcat79 wrote:

And what place is that? And where's your place? Who are you?

The Golden Rule as I call it or Karma as others call it has a funny way of working out. I see in your future a situation where you want to use a chair and someone being obnoxious towards you.

I'll tell you this: I got upgraded to Business Class on a 13 hour flight from back home to here because I wasn't all territorial offered to give up my seat.

People have a way of rewarding good deeds.

But good for you, you put some random 27 year old girl in her place. Way to go big man. I wish I had skillz like that.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You like your primary school playground arguments don't you? K Pop is good because it's better than you can do and if you call people sheep, it takes one to know one. What's next, Channel bags are great because I said it first and they just are? Laughing
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

You like your primary school playground arguments don't you? K Pop is good because it's better than you can do and if you call people sheep, it takes one to know one. What's next, Channel bags are great because I said it first and they just are? Laughing

So buying a Chanel bag makes a person a sheep. But you sir, a fashion rebel, what with your jeans and t-shirt or whatever. Yeah, never seen anyone wear that before.

It's not a playground argument. It's called "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're either a sheep or a fashion rebel and there's nothing in between? You either design and make your own clothes with wool and cotton you've grown/raised yourself or you're just following the herd?
isisaredead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is this thread still going?
One Shot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 more pages! Love the enthusiasm I'm seeing.
Ribena

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
This behavior is far from a Korean exclusive, so don't try to make it so.

I don't know. Every weekend in Seoul there is a queue in Lotte Department store outside the Louis Vitton handbag shop. I've never seen that in my country, unless there's a sale on.

There is always a queue for the LV shop in Selfridges in London, and 90% of the people waiting are Asian. No idea if they are Korean however.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New article:
Luxury Labels Still Hiking Prices
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/01/19/2013011900314.html
Quote:
Luxury labels are still hiking their prices steadily here even though the won is rising. Luxury brands are already more expensive in Korea than anywhere else and also mysteriously failed to reflect the tariff benefits of the Korea-EU free trade agreement.

Italy's Gucci hiked the price of some popular handbags by 4 percent and wallets by a whopping 5 to 11 percent on Monday. Prada hiked prices of most products such as bags and wallets three times last year. And Louis Vuitton increased the price of leather goods by 3 percent in October 2012

The same month, Chanel hiked the prices of 20 items including fragrances by an average of 8 percent.

What is the price of a handbag up to now? A year ago, I saw this:

Ever-Popular Chanel to Raise Handbag Prices Again
Quote:
French fashion brand Chanel will raise handbag prices in Korea again. Chanel decided to hike the prices of popular handbag lines such as Classic and Vintage 2.55 by about 10 percent as of Feb. 1. The price of Vintage 2.55 Large bags will go up a whopping 11 percent from W6.63 million to W7.4 million (IS$1=W1,137).

This is the first time that a Chanel handbag is priced at over W7 million.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/01/20/2012012001349.html
Quote:
Chanel raises the prices of major handbag lines by about 20-30 percent a year. A Vintage Large bag cost W3.34 million in April 2008 but that had doubled to W6.63 million last December.

Immediately after the Korea-EU free trade agreement took effect in July last year, Chanel's prices in Korea dropped by about 3 percent. But consumers did not really benefit from the FTA because Chanel had already hiked prices by as much as 25 percent in May that year, right before the trade deal went into effect.

Some Chanel handbags have even been in short supply as traders and some savvy customers are hoarding them in expectation of the next price hike. A fashion industry insider said, "Chanel is raising prices several times a year under the pretext of a rise in raw materials prices. The company seems to have confidence that consumers will buy its products under any circumstances."
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:

Personally, I think Koreans are generally very frugal with their money and you and others have extrapolated the extreme cases cited in the article to apply to the general population.

I think the western media is doing this a lot with Korea lately and I'm not sure why. I agree with what you said because the majority of Korean women I know are very price conscious. They have no shame in carrying coupons, using discount memberships, and can bargain much better than westerners. I almost feel like there is a sense of pride they have in managing money which probably comes from the domestic role they traditionally play here. I often get chastised by Korean women because I'm a lazy guy and I often don't take advantage of discounts. I would add that the girls here seem to be more intimidated by the presence of things like hand bags than western girls though. My friends that are girls from the west can easily shrug off a Chanel bag. It seems like the Korean girls that would never buy one still hold some kind of strange reverence for it.

But, there is a subculture of girls here that take materialism and idiotic spending to another level. I am all about quality products but a 5M won handbag is ridiculous unless you are pulling in a few million (USD) a year. There has to be a larger consumer base buying these than the one that exists in the USA. Chanel is going to jack the prices up as high as they can, and I guess in Korea that is very very high. The price hike alone is enough to tip the world off something is up with the princess girls here, they do take it to the next level.

Yeah they are able to buy it if they want, but in my opinion they are idiots for doing so. Unless of course, they are filthy filthy rich, in which case I'm just jealous.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
New article:
Luxury Labels Still Hiking Prices
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/01/19/2013011900314.html
Quote:
Luxury labels are still hiking their prices steadily here even though the won is rising. Luxury brands are already more expensive in Korea than anywhere else and also mysteriously failed to reflect the tariff benefits of the Korea-EU free trade agreement.

Italy's Gucci hiked the price of some popular handbags by 4 percent and wallets by a whopping 5 to 11 percent on Monday. Prada hiked prices of most products such as bags and wallets three times last year. And Louis Vuitton increased the price of leather goods by 3 percent in October 2012

The same month, Chanel hiked the prices of 20 items including fragrances by an average of 8 percent.

What is the price of a handbag up to now? A year ago, I saw this:

Ever-Popular Chanel to Raise Handbag Prices Again
Quote:
French fashion brand Chanel will raise handbag prices in Korea again. Chanel decided to hike the prices of popular handbag lines such as Classic and Vintage 2.55 by about 10 percent as of Feb. 1. The price of Vintage 2.55 Large bags will go up a whopping 11 percent from W6.63 million to W7.4 million (IS$1=W1,137).

This is the first time that a Chanel handbag is priced at over W7 million.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/01/20/2012012001349.html
Quote:
Chanel raises the prices of major handbag lines by about 20-30 percent a year. A Vintage Large bag cost W3.34 million in April 2008 but that had doubled to W6.63 million last December.

Immediately after the Korea-EU free trade agreement took effect in July last year, Chanel's prices in Korea dropped by about 3 percent. But consumers did not really benefit from the FTA because Chanel had already hiked prices by as much as 25 percent in May that year, right before the trade deal went into effect.

Some Chanel handbags have even been in short supply as traders and some savvy customers are hoarding them in expectation of the next price hike. A fashion industry insider said, "Chanel is raising prices several times a year under the pretext of a rise in raw materials prices. The company seems to have confidence that consumers will buy its products under any circumstances."

I doubt it's "Chanel" that's responsible. My guess it's the Cheabol subsidiary that has the distribution rights.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most luxuries cost more here.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cheapest-holiday-destinations-2013-155129173.html
slothrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
compassionate people need 5 thousand dollar bags so they can feel good about themselves whenever they go to church or secular charity events and pledge 20 dollars to help feed starving refugee children.LOL

If they can afford the bag and maintain whatever lifestyle they please there is no reason to feel guilty unless the bags are made by exploiting people. Products are made by people with jobs, those jobs support families and allow other people to prosper as well. A lady supporting a local economy by buying a bag has nothing to feel guilty about, and if she wants to give some money to people that don't have a job then more power to her in that endeavor as well.

Only reason it would be ridiculous is if they are exploiting people or she is going broke buying luxury goods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: