Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Seoul' = Worst weather of almost any country?!? edited :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaHu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UknowsI wrote:
While I certainly don't like the Korean summer, I still find parts of Northern Europe worse.

>100 days of rain in a year
>100 days of frost in a year
No sun in the winter
Strong wind

Summer was great, and the winter was not bad (cold weather is not a big problem if you put on real clothes), but icy, rainy and windy fall days are not pleasant.

I'd pay to live in a place like this
Udo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here on and off for the last 32 years & and as stated earlier summers in Seoul aint that great. From what I remember, it used to rain just about everyday in July, but clear up somewhat in early August and get very hot weather. This has been an exceptionally bad weather summer in my opinion.
ed4444

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not be silly here.

Capital Cities with worse weather than Seoul:

Ulan Batar (-40 in Winter, 35+ in summer)
Singapore (like Aug in Korea all year round, air con a must!)
Beijing (Hotter in Summer than Seoul, colder in Winter with even more yellow sand)
Dubai (Pleasant Winter but an average of 40 Degrees C in summer. Even with dry heat the highs of 48 degrees are punishing, nasty sandstorms too)
Helsinki (<8 hours of sunshine in Winter, +20 in summer)
Manila (typhoons, typhoons, typhoons... even when they don't hit directly they are a pain)
cwflaneur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marsavalanche wrote:
the people from england ive talked to hate the weathere here more.

so much for those facts brah

I've lived through a year of English weather and I liked it much more than Korean weather. It's mild, never very cold or humid, and I actually like the gentle rain that's falling all the time. And when the sun peaks out, (which happens off and on), the sky actually seems sunny. A "blue sky" in Korea never feels like it. Summer in Korea is the worst... almost no beautiful skies, three nice days, permanent humidity.
litebear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
I just got back from the west coast of Scotland. Beautiful weather. About 25C during the day with low humidity. VERY comfortable. Not to mention great food, beer, beaches, buildings, books etc. However, don't go looking for a job. And don't take a bus. Minumum fare was over �2

Is this a wind-up? You think that is typical of Scotland, never mind the west coast?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here over 4 years and it was only last summer that it started to be rainy and muggy all summer long. Was pissed about it and thought it a fluke. Thought this year would be better but it's worse. I agree there was no spring or very little of one. Autumn is traditionally beautiful here. Mid Sept to early November. But who know this year? Plus we dont get to take our vacations then. Korea should change it's vacation time from summer to fall or at least some of it. If I were a salaryman forced to work hard all year then get a week off of cruddy weather, I'd be really mad. I'd much rather have a week in late September.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and while I'm complaining, Korea should also adopt Daylight Savings Time so people can get extra sunlight in the evening during fall when the weather is actually nice.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this a wind-up? You think that is typical of Scotland, never mind the west coast?

No wind-up. I was back in Scotland and the weather was glorious. Went to Loch Ness and Arran and the weather was terrific. Lots of space and beautiful sites. Korea can't compare.
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather in Seoul over the last few years has often been glorious, as it was in late spring/early summer this year.

It's just this 'summer' of non-stop rain that's awful.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic.

This past winter was mild, seemingly. Though, last summer was oppressively hot and longer than normal.

I am not looking forward to summer...actually, I never do, unless it is on a beach (a fun beach...not one in Korea) or the mountains.

Though...spring has quite nice.
mscoop1085

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no SoCal where I currently live but there are far worse places (weather wise). Go to the east coast beaches, pools in itaewon or the ones along the Han river to cool off and you'll be fine. Keep in mind, most of you will be inside at work in the A/C during the most brutal and hot days.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mscoop1085 wrote:
It's no SoCal where I currently live but there are far worse places (weather wise). Go to the east coast beaches, pools in itaewon or the ones along the Han river to cool off and you'll be fine. Keep in mind, most of you will be inside at work in the A/C during the most brutal and hot days.

Meh..every time I have turned on the A/C, the kids complain of being cold. Even a refreshing breeze through the window will infuse the thought of a polar vortex entering the room.

On that note, what is it with Koreans and their fear of fresh air in enclosed places? Every time I get on a bus, it is horrid...hot, reeking of stale garlic, kimchi and soju. I swear these people lick their chops at the thought of the stench. But yet, nobody wants to open a window, or, at least turn on the upper fans just to get some air in. When the first cool front comes in, breaking the horrid summer and bringing a cool, uplifting breeze, these people put on their winter parkas.

Thus, most places in South Korea, during the summer, are very uncomfortable.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to put up with Seoul or Korea for that fact. There is a school in Harbin looking for teachers.
Wangja

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huck wrote:
ssuprnova wrote:
Oldtimers please chime in: is this an especially bad year?

huck: you forgot the few months of insufferable heat and humidity known as summer.

That's because summer has become one long cloudy/rainy day with humid nights where I can sometimes see the stars...Did you hear that the rainy season ended a few weeks ago? It was even announced on the news and in the newspapers..

I've been here for a few years, and the weather has been worse the last couple of summers.

Here since Jan 1999 and yes I agree that the last two summers have been dire.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
huck wrote:
ssuprnova wrote:
Oldtimers please chime in: is this an especially bad year?

huck: you forgot the few months of insufferable heat and humidity known as summer.

That's because summer has become one long cloudy/rainy day with humid nights where I can sometimes see the stars...Did you hear that the rainy season ended a few weeks ago? It was even announced on the news and in the newspapers..

I've been here for a few years, and the weather has been worse the last couple of summers.

Here since Jan 1999 and yes I agree that the last two summers have been dire.

In what way, dire?

Try spending a summer in Hanoi and you'll miss whatever Seoul can throw at you.

Try spending a winter in Hanoi, too. Think misty rain and moldy clothes.

You guys need to travel more and broaden your horizons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: