Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Seoul' = Worst weather of almost any country?!? edited :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
Wangja wrote:
huck wrote:
ssuprnova wrote:
Oldtimers please chime in: is this an especially bad year?

huck: you forgot the few months of insufferable heat and humidity known as summer.

That's because summer has become one long cloudy/rainy day with humid nights where I can sometimes see the stars...Did you hear that the rainy season ended a few weeks ago? It was even announced on the news and in the newspapers..

I've been here for a few years, and the weather has been worse the last couple of summers.

Here since Jan 1999 and yes I agree that the last two summers have been dire.

In what way, dire?

Try spending a summer in Hanoi and you'll miss whatever Seoul can throw at you.

Try spending a winter in Hanoi, too. Think misty rain and moldy clothes.

You guys need to travel more and broaden your horizons.

Hanoi has mild weather. You should try teaching in the Sahara in a tent.

Try spending a winter in the Antarctic working at a scuba diving academy.

A bunch of softies I say.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
Wangja wrote:
huck wrote:
ssuprnova wrote:
Oldtimers please chime in: is this an especially bad year?

huck: you forgot the few months of insufferable heat and humidity known as summer.

That's because summer has become one long cloudy/rainy day with humid nights where I can sometimes see the stars...Did you hear that the rainy season ended a few weeks ago? It was even announced on the news and in the newspapers..

I've been here for a few years, and the weather has been worse the last couple of summers.

Here since Jan 1999 and yes I agree that the last two summers have been dire.

In what way, dire?

Try spending a summer in Hanoi and you'll miss whatever Seoul can throw at you.

Try spending a winter in Hanoi, too. Think misty rain and moldy clothes.

Hanoi has mild weather. You should try teaching in the Sahara in a tent.

Try spending a winter in the Antarctic working at a scuba diving academy.

A bunch of softies I say.

Luxury!
Wangja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Eejit.

Last night I arrived at DXB (10th business trip there in 12 months) at 21:00 where it was 41 deg and swimmable humidity.

Today I am in Sohar, Oman. Cooler, at about 40 deg (noon) and less humidity but enough for condensation to run down the doors and windows.

Seoul is never that hot nor that humid but summer can be dire nonetheless. This summer has been less dire, almost comfortable.
Lazio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
Quote:

Eejit.

Last night I arrived at DXB (10th business trip there in 12 months) at 21:00 where it was 41 deg and swimmable humidity.

Today I am in Sohar, Oman. Cooler, at about 40 deg (noon) and less humidity but enough for condensation to run down the doors and windows.

Seoul is never that hot nor that humid but summer can be dire nonetheless. This summer has been less dire, almost comfortable.

It simply can't be 40 degress Celsius with high humidity. That is against the law of physics. Sure, 40 Celsius is uncomfortable at any humidity but what you felt was just heat.
Just checked it and yesterday; 7/08 - during the afternoon the lowest humidity was 27% in Dubai and in the thirties during most of the day. It only went up at night maxing out at 56%.

Sohar on the other hand was rather humid today. Average 73%, max. 80% min. 66%. Seems like you can't really judge the humidity Smile

Also disagree with you about Seoul's weather. Although it might feel comfortable to you, I don't know. But it's been reported on several media channels that the past week or 10 days have been hotter than the average.
I usually don't even use a fan untill the monsoon had passed and I might turn on the A/C for a few hours in the afternoons but only use it more from mid to late July. It is not like that this year. I already ran the A/C a couple of nights since the monsoon arrived because I find the humidity unbearable. The lowest temperature at night is already above 24 degrees Celsius for a couple of days. That normally doesn't happen untill late July.
For me, it is usually "Ah, it's not even that hot this year" untill mid. July. and then is turns into "Damn, it's so hot, when does it end?!" However, this year I've been feeling like the latter for the past week or so.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
Quote:

Eejit.

So, if Seoul is "dire", how would you describe the weather in the Middle East?

Personally, I think the weather in Phnom Penh is dire, and the weather in Seoul for a couple of months in summer as uncomfortable. Winters aren't too nice, either
Wangja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Personally, I think the weather in Phnom Penh is dire, and the weather in Seoul for a couple of months in summer as uncomfortable. Winters aren't too nice, either

Winter in Seoul is fine. Spring and Autumn are pleasant. Summer is dire: not that hot but always about to rain.

Middle East - depends where you are. Here on the Indian Ocean, hot, and yes humid, but efficient a/c everywhere (not so in Seoul).
Wangja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It simply can't be 40 degress Celsius with high humidity. That is against the law of physics. Sure, 40 Celsius is uncomfortable at any humidity but what you felt was just heat.
Just checked it and yesterday; 7/08 - during the afternoon the lowest humidity was 27% in Dubai and in the thirties during most of the day. It only went up at night maxing out at 56%.

I arrived there - DXB - n 8 July at 21:00, the temp announced was 41 deg. (FWIW, worked there for 6 months in 2013).

I was in Sohar (still am) on 9 Jul, actually arrived at 00:05. The max humidity on 9 July was 80%. The temperature recorded on shaded site thermometer was 38 deg.

Today, 10 July has been more pleasant.

I have neither idea nor interest in weather in Phnom Penh.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from spending 3 months in Ho Chi Minh City where it pisses down rain 6 months out of the year. I would much rather take the temperature extremes here than wonder when it is going to poor.
mysterious700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
Quote:

Winter in Seoul is fine. Spring and Autumn are pleasant. Summer is dire: not that hot but always about to rain.

Middle East - depends where you are. Here on the Indian Ocean, hot, and yes humid, but efficient a/c everywhere (not so in Seoul).

Korea is one of the most air conditioned countries on earth. It seems like when you go to Hong Kong, Tokyo, the Middle East, etc, they use the air con way more and at a more comfortable temperature. (I suppose 3rd world countries in the countryside may not use it as much.) But, Seoul is hit or miss. Some stores have it at a comfortable temperature. Others have it barely on so you don't feel it and it's almost 30 degrees indoors. Some places don't have it on at all. I've travelled throughout Korea and find this to be true, even more true in the rest of the country. I haven't been to China, maybe they are the same? But Korea seems one of the most air conditioned challenged countries in the developed world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: