Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Encephalitis Vaccination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRP

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Japanese Encephalitis Vaccination Reply with quote

Went to my Doc(Qld,Australia) to find out what vaccinations I should have to work in South Korea.One immunisation he said I must have is Japanese Encephalitis.The price is $AU 250 for each shot and there are 3 but I will not have time to have the entire course here and will have to have the last one in S Korea.The chemist said it might be cheaper to have the whole course there.Also it is difficult to get it here.Any advice much appreciated
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that disease is in Korea. I never had any special shots before coming to Korea from the US.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wowser

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya- I'm a kiwi- so know what u r talking about...(expensive at home@!!?) I have had shots done here for travel in SE asia...cheaper here- and no hassle...
I woud get Hep. b sorted as soon as u can here...
schwa

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the encephalitis shots -- its exceedingly rare here. If you search on 'korea japanese encephalitis' numerous articles confirm this. This is typical:

"The chance that a traveler to Asia will get Japanese encephalitis is very small: 1) only certain mosquito species can spread Japanese encephalitis; 2) in areas infested with mosquitoes, only a small portion of the mosquitoes are usually infected with Japanese encephalitis virus; 3) among persons who are infected by a mosquito bite, only 1 in 50 to 1 in 1,000 will develop an illness. As a result, fewer than 1 case per year is reported in U.S. civilians and military personnel traveling to and living in Asia. Only 5 cases among Americans traveling or working in Asia have been reported since 1981."

Thats for all of Asia. Cases among Koreans last summer amounted to a handful, all in rural backwaters. Even then, the disease tends to be fatal only among the very young or those with already weakened immune systems. You run a far greater likelihood of getting sick from the vaccination itself -- 0.6% experience side effects, some quite serious.

Save your money & dont give it another thought.
Jane99

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the shot in Korea for much cheaper. I believe it's between 40,000 to 60,000 one and it's available in one shot, rather than 3 separate shots. I got my shot done in Seoul.
djinn

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I talked to the travel clinic here they said that Japanese encephalitis shots are only necessary if you are planning on spending several weeks in rice paddies.

I would just save your money and if you travel through rural areas make sure you use bug repellant.

Djinn
komtengi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but if you do catch it the results are pretty damn scary...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: