Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protesters set sights on Wall Street
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:

So much for the Anonymous pledge to take down the NYSE yesterday.
Oh well...on with the show.

The interesting thing about Anonymous is that anyone can claim to be them and say or do anything. I expected it to be a false-flag incident to discredit Anonymous and the protest movement, so I'm glad it didn't happen.
asylum seeker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stout wrote:
Then again who in their right mind expects they can pull it off against Big Money? The voicing of the plan has value if it galvanizes people against Corporate Inc.

Here's a vid of the 1% sipping champagne and having a laugh while watching the protestors-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PiXDTK_CBY&feature=aso

I feel like I've seen behavior like that in the video before. Oh yeah, that's right, it was just before the French Revolution when a certain French Madame suggested the proles dine on brioche.
Ineverlie&I'malwaysri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:

The interesting thing about Anonymous is that anyone can claim to be them and say or do anything. I expected it to be a false-flag incident to discredit Anonymous and the protest movement, so I'm glad it didn't happen.

Yes, that's astute. As we know from the FBI's COINTELPRO, which may have transformed but never disappeared, they often send it provocateurs to do exactly such things. Just such a pretext they are waiting for to ratchet up the police state further toward martial law.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:

...yes...quite right.
Stout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The protest still going after a month-

http://www.japantoday.com/category/world/view/occupy-wall-street-movement-flexes-muscles-one-month-on

NEW YORK �
Exactly a month after a few hundred anti-capitalism activists set up camp in New York, the Occupy Wall Street movement has gone international and won the attention of the White House�even if no one knows where it will go next.

Protesters sheltering under plastic tarps in the well organized camp at Zuccotti Park, near Wall Street, began their second month Monday with plans to follow up on big demonstrations that swept through the popular Times Square area over the weekend.

They not only have set up all the basic needs of an open-air community�ranging from a cell phone charging station to a library�but are flush with $275,000 in donations, according to Darrell Prince, an organizer at the protest�s finance committee.

The next major event could be on Saturday which will see a �National Day of Protest to Stop Police Brutality,� according to the www.occupywallst.org website.

Defying expectations, the movement already has had a huge impact, spawning copycat demonstrations across the United States and London, all with the same underlying message of anger at economic disparities between the top one percent and the other 99 percent.

Though their numbers are still relatively small�the biggest demonstration gathered between 10,000 and 20,000 people�senior politicians are paying close attention as the 2012 US presidential contest gathers pace.

President Barack Obama has led Democrats in tentatively embracing the movement.

The White House said an election campaign trip to North Carolina and Virginia this week would address the need �to ensure that the interests of the 99 percent of Americans is well represented��a telling reference to the protesters� slogan.

His spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Monday: �The president has expressed an understanding of the frustration that the demonstrations manifest and represent.�

On the other side, Republican presidential candidates have been scathing in their attacks on the group, signaling that it has at the least become too big to ignore.

The latest boost for Occupy Wall Street came Saturday when Martin Luther King III, son of slain black civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr, said at a new memorial in Washington that his father would have joined the protest.

�We have bailed out the auto industry, and we should have. We bailed out Wall Street. Now it�s time to bail out working Americans. That�s what this is about,� he said.

�I believe that if my father was alive, he would be right here with all of us involved in this demonstration today.�

The protests have so far been mostly peaceful. However, 175 people were arrested in Chicago over the weekend, following other mass arrests in recent days in Boston, Denver and New York.

The main question now is how the Occupy Wall Street movement, known by its initials OWS, will use its growing power. To date not a single specific demand has been issued, prompting ridicule from critics.

However, the strategy of simply providing a big tent for mostly young people unhappy about a stagnant economy and angry at the disconnect between ordinary people and the political-business elites, appears to be working.

Mike Lupica, a columnist for the Daily News in New York, wrote Monday that the unpredictability of OWS was stirring the country �because nobody is sure how big the whole thing is going to get.�

Some predict that the rapidly approaching cold weather in New York will drive protestors away.

However, activists deny this. And a symbol of that determination can be found right on the homepage of their website: the detailed agenda posted on the website scrolls down literally forever.

Demonstrators meanwhile have been circulating a leaflet urging their fellow protestors to show maximum restraint to stave off any potential unrest or violence.

It warns against use of drugs and alcohol. It strictly opposes verbal abuse. And it even has restricted the hours of protest drumming to curb the annoyance factor a bit.

�In addition to this neighborhood being near Wall Street and home to many businesses, this is also a residential neighborhood that 64,000 people call home,� the blue pamphlet reads in part.

�Know that if even one individual disrespects the community by not following this Good Neighbor Policy that they are most certainly weakening our mission.�

Despite the disruption and the massive deployment of police resources to the busy downtown area, New Yorkers also support the protestors, a poll revealed Monday.

Supporters outweighed opponents by three to one, according to the Quinnipiac University poll. Even Republicans, while mostly disagreeing with the protestors� views, agreed 72-23% that they had a right to be there.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The protest still going after a month-

Somehow, this does not strike me as a trenchant comment. What is your view? Do you favor or disapprove?

What I can say is this:

In the late fall of '68 my friends and I felt betrayed by the system. We had agreed with the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act when we were in junior hight/high school, we supported the LBJ's War on Poverty, but we were betrayed by the government in Vietnam. The country was on a majorly progressive trend, only to be stabbed in the back by the conservatives who wanted to preserve their racial/social superiority.

We've been waiting since we were 22 for the country to get over its delusion that the rich were going to suddenly become sweetie pies and give up their obsession with their own wealth expansion and share it out with the rest of us (if a crumb or two fell off the table of the rich, that did not really count as 'trickle down').

We were not appreciative of the massive Reagan tax cut of the early 80's because we knew that the measly $20 bucks a month we got would do anything but disrupt the national budget...but RR could build hoards of nukes to scare the world. (Way to go, Ronnie!)

The OWS thing may just sputter out. If so, so be it. But at least it has a chance of shoving the political discourse back into a sane and humane channel and out of the 'how can we peons contribute to the comfort of the overly wealthy' that we have been in for the last 3 decades.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused by why it is always refered to as an anti-capitalist movement. As far as I can tell the main arch is that it's about money in politics and Wall-Street fraud, things that most people should be able to get behind.
Stout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
I'm a bit confused by why it is always refered to as an anti-capitalist movement. As far as I can tell the main arch is that it's about money in politics and Wall-Street fraud, things that most people should be able to get behind.

Money in politics and Wall Street fraud are all tied into the shape capitalism has taken in the States.
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may not have seen it yet, Alan Grayson on what the protesters want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnSu0DG3Oo
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
For those who may not have seen it yet, Alan Grayson on what the protesters want:

lol Alan Grayson basically hands that other dude's ass to him
Stout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/10/113_97538.html

Police used water cannons to disperse protesters who staged a rally against the free trade agreement with the United States outside the National Assembly building on Friday, arresting dozens after physical clashes with them.

About 2,500 students, labor activists and farmers gathered in Seoul's financial district of Yeouido earlier in the day, demanding renegotiation of the free trade pact they claim favors U.S. interests.

After the rally, some activists and students marched toward the nearby National Assembly and climbed over the wall to enter through the assembly compound's back door, according to witnesses.

Some 200 riot police officers were mobilized to the assembly compound to break up the protesters, who were trying to break into the main building where a general session was underway. Police said they took 63 people into custody, including leaders of labor unions and college students.

"The Korea-U.S. FTA is an unfair agreement that adopts the broken American-style economic system that benefits 1 percent of (people)," some protesters shouted, holding picket signs that read, "No to S. Korea-U.S. FTA!"
Fat_Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chance wrote:
Privateer wrote:

lol Alan Grayson basically hands that other dude's ass to him

Great video. The "other dude" is P.J. O'Rourke - you've never seen or heard of him before?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Bank of America will never admit it, but it sure looks like OWS just beat the pants off 'em. BoA has rescinded the plan to charge $5 a month on debit cards. Thank you, OWS!!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
I doubt Bank of America will never admit it, but it sure looks like OWS just beat the pants off 'em. BoA has rescinded the plan to charge $5 a month on debit cards. Thank you, OWS!!

Well I'd say it was more likely due to:

a) customers like me who immediately opened up a checking account with another bank and closed the one they had with BofA
b) no other banks copied BofA (making it that much easier to ditch BofA for one of its competitors).

Now if that isn't proof that capitalism and the free market can work, I don't know is. And yes, I suppose OWS can take some credit for the fact that no other banks decided to follow BofA's step.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:

Well I'd say it was more likely due to:

a) customers like me who immediately opened up a checking account with another bank and closed the one they had with BofA
b) no other banks copied BofA (making it that much easier to ditch BofA for one of its competitors).

Now if that isn't proof that capitalism and the free market can work, I don't know is. And yes, I suppose OWS can take some credit for the fact that no other banks decided to follow BofA's step.

BB is right. Americans are incredibly short-sighted, it seems. Banks get billions (actually trillions) in bailout (and Fed loaned) money? *America disappointed* BofA charges $5/month transparent fee to use debit card?, a paltry sum compared to the invisible interchange fee Americans suffer on their credit cards every day? *America angry*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: