Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protesters set sights on Wall Street
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:
I doubt Bank of America will never admit it, but it sure looks like OWS just beat the pants off 'em. BoA has rescinded the plan to charge $5 a month on debit cards. Thank you, OWS!!

Well I'd say it was more likely due to:

a) customers like me who immediately opened up a checking account with another bank and closed the one they had with BofA
b) no other banks copied BofA (making it that much easier to ditch BofA for one of its competitors).

Now if that isn't proof that capitalism and the free market can work, I don't know is. And yes, I suppose OWS can take some credit for the fact that no other banks decided to follow BofA's step.

Tens of thousands of people have signed a pledge to transfer their accounts this Saturday. I would say you acted in the same spirit that is inspiring OWS. Enough is enough. People are finally mimicking Arlo Guthrie:

And the only reason I'm singing you this song now is 'cause you may know somebody in a similar situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if you're in a situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's walk into the shrink wherever you are ,just walk in say "Shrink, You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. Friends, they may think it's a movement.

And that's what it is , the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement, and
all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it comes around on the
guitar.

With feeling. So we'll wait for it to come around on the guitar, here and
sing it when it does. Here it comes.

You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant
Walk right in, it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railroad track

I draw a different lesson from your action. It looks to me that we peons have power when we find ways to work together and fight back against the powerful. Just like Arlo sang about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ&feature=related

PS: bb, take my advice and avoid at all costs the Group W bench. Very Happy
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble understanding the Oakland wing of OWS. First, I really don't understand the point of a general strike at this time. I can figure out how a city voluntarily shutting down to express anger at the present economic situation might be a good thing, but it's pretty far out there in shoot-yourself-in-the-foot land. I can't at all see the point of forcing a port to shut down.

Worse, a report said about 100 anarchists (out of a crowd of more than 10,000) broke off and started fires in the streets and confronted the cops.

I don't know how a leaderless group can enforce a non-violent policy, but they are going to have to figure out something.
Ineverlie&I'malwaysri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaza support tweet disappears from OWS' Twitter page.
The Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement posted a surprising and exhilarating tweet:

�We support and would like to express #solidarity to #FreedomWaves #Palestine #ows�.

Moments later, the Twitter representative of the Canada Boat to Gaza posted an appreciative response, �We are thrilled to receive the support of #OccupyWallStreet Looks like only the 1% support the Israeli blockade of Gaza.� The Twitter-sphere flared up with expressions of praise and affirmation, proving that the 99% naturally link the struggle for the Occupation of Wall Street with the struggle against the Occupation of Palestine as two facets of a single universal liberation struggle.

Approximately four hours later, however, Occupy Wall Street�s tweet mysteriously disappeared from its home page on Twitter. The Twitter-sphere was instantly taken aback- �didn't realize #OWS is non-political!!� remarked one tweeter, while another insisted that �If #OWS can not support #FreedomWaves and #Gaza then they should not compare themselves to #ArabSpring or #Tahrir." The Canada Boat to Gaza, who earlier had nodded in satisfaction, now, shook its head in disappointment, offering, in the face of Occupy Wall Street�s fear of involving itself in the Israel-Palestine conflict, a few words by Desmond Tutu: "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Many tweeps asked �Why did @OccupyWallSt delete a tweet showing solidarity with #FreedomWaves?� or �@OccupyWallSt Did you seriously delete the tweet supporting #FreedomWaves WHY?" The closest official answer came from Daniel Sieradski, a new media activist who has been central to the OccupyJudaism activities. Sieradski explained, the "#FreedomWaves tweet was unauthorized, did not have reflect #OWS community consensus and was subsequently deleted." He added, "#OWS does not have a position on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," and "#OWS is a consensus based movement. The GA has never discussed the I/P issue & even if it did, it would never reach consensus." Sieradski acknowledged he was not speaking as a spokesperson from Occupy Wall Street but he had "heard what happened from people close to it." I was not able to receive an official explanation from the Occupy Wall Street movement about why tweet being deleted.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting proposal from the Occupy Iowa group.

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/04/iowas_threat_to_king_obama/

I wrote up my thoughts on the 2012 Election thread.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Approximately four hours later, however, Occupy Wall Street�s tweet mysteriously disappeared from its home page on Twitter.

That was the correct move.

OWS is about political reform at home, and so far has not published a complete agenda. It would be highly uncharacteristic of them to take sides on a particular issue in foreign affairs. It is more likely some individual or faction tried to drag them into a partisan fight. It could even have come from the same people who tried to paint OWS as anti-semitic.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OWS Movement will get some organization and actually accomplish things when they cave and bring in Tea Party people to operate things and do the work.

You know, people who show up to work on time and can do all that boring stuff like filing out forms and sending out newsletters and organizing campaigns.

But yeah, keep banging the drums and saying empty phrases like "its time to get crony capitalism out of politics". Lines that may be right and true, but do nothing to solve anything. Kinda like saying "Death is bad" and expecting that to stop the fact that death happens.
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippies freakin' out/protesting/getting into Zen/dropping acid in the 60's brought us Steve Jobs.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
The OWS Movement will get some organization and actually accomplish things when they cave and bring in Tea Party people to operate things and do the work.

You know, people who show up to work on time and can do all that boring stuff like filing out forms and sending out newsletters and organizing campaigns.

But yeah, keep banging the drums and saying empty phrases like "its time to get crony capitalism out of politics". Lines that may be right and true, but do nothing to solve anything. Kinda like saying "Death is bad" and expecting that to stop the fact that death happens.

^
Aggressively ignorant.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

^
Aggressively ignorant.

OWS has a lot of media coverage and few, if any, results.

The Tea Party (not that I wholly agree with them), can at least point to successfully elected candidates and changing the political landscape in one of the two major parties.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
The OWS Movement will get some organization and actually accomplish things when they cave and bring in Tea Party people to operate things and do the work. You know, people who show up to work on time and can do all that boring stuff like filing out forms and sending out newsletters and organizing campaigns. But yeah, keep banging the drums and saying empty phrases like "its time to get crony capitalism out of politics". Lines that may be right and true, but do nothing to solve anything. Kinda like saying "Death is bad" and expecting that to stop the fact that death happens.
^ Aggressively ignorant.
OWS has a lot of media coverage and few, if any, results. The Tea Party (not that I wholly agree with them), can at least point to successfully elected candidates and changing the political landscape in one of the two major parties.

OWS is only about 7 weeks old. At the same point in time the Tea Party had huge media coverage, and the disruption of town hall meetings and people carrying assault rifles to political speeches on their list of achievements. The Tea Party also gets the debt ceiling debacle to its everlasting credit.

Has economic inequality been discussed since the War on Poverty debate back in the 60's? I don't think so. There are those who think OWS played a part in BofA rescinding its $5 charge and the revitalizing of the Move Your Money campaign. Could it have been influential in proposing the new Reverse Citizens United amendment last week, rather than, say, 6 months ago or a year ago? In a move that could have real impact, Occupy Iowa is going to attempt to occupy the caucuses.

The Left has awakened, finally. OWS may be the greatest product of the Tea Party.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

^
Aggressively ignorant.

The Tea Party (not that I wholly agree with them), can at least point to successfully elected candidates and changing the political landscape in one of the two major parties.

I think that coverage is the result, at least so far. It shifted the public mindset from the absurdity of the deficit to income inequality and the frauds that were commited, along with big money in politics. It's far to early to say what kind of electoral effects it will have, as the election hasn't happened yet. Also the tea party is just the right wing faction of the Republican party. It's far to early to see where this will eventually go.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

^
Aggressively ignorant.

The Tea Party didn't elect their candidates within two months. And OWS has shifted the conversation from debt to jobs.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

^
Aggressively ignorant.

The Tea Party didn't elect their candidates within two months. And OWS has shifted the conversation from debt to jobs.

Good point. The debt discussion has gone quiet- for now. Gov't shutdown is looming again though (November 18th) and the deficit panel is due to issue its report 11/23. Be interesting to see if the jobs topic will continue being #1 or drop down again.
Ineverlie&I'malwaysri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Absolutely. The same Tea Party people who co-opted it will now attempt the same with OWS.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:
Approximately four hours later, however, Occupy Wall Street�s tweet mysteriously disappeared from its home page on Twitter.

That was the correct move.

OWS is about political reform at home, and so far has not published a complete agenda. It would be highly uncharacteristic of them to take sides on a particular issue in foreign affairs. It is more likely some individual or faction tried to drag them into a partisan fight. It could even have come from the same people who tried to paint OWS as anti-semitic.

I mostly agree. Trying to be all things to all people is just going to split the group. Focus on what originally caused people to join and protest. Probably some anti occupation group/individual trying to hijack the organization for their own purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: