Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man burned alive for allegedly defiling Koran
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Man burned alive for allegedly defiling Koran Reply with quote

A mob broke into a Pakistani police station and burnt a man accused of desecrating the Koran alive, police said Saturday, in the latest violence focusing attention on the country's blasphemy laws.

The man was a traveler and had spent Thursday night at the mosque, said Maulvi Memon, the imam in the southern village of Seeta in Sindh province. The charred remains of the Koran were found the next morning.

"He was alone in the mosque during the night," Memon said. "There was no one else there to do this terrible thing."

Villagers beat the man then handed him over to police. A few hours later, a crowd of around 200 stormed the police station, dragged the man out and set him on fire, said Usman Ghani, the senior superintendent of police in Dadu district.

Ghani said around 30 people had been arrested for the murder and seven police detained for negligence.

At least 53 people have been killed in Pakistan since 1990 after being accused of blasphemy, according to the Center for Research and Security Studies, and accusations are becoming more frequent.

Blasphemy in Pakistan is punishable by death but it is not specifically defined by law. During court cases, lawyers often do not wish to repeat evidence against the accused for fear of being blasphemous themselves.

People have been arrested for just discussing or writing about Islam, making mistakes in homework or not joining protests against a film insulting Islam. Shocked In some cases, the accusers have had financial disputes with those who are accused.

Most recently, international attention focused on the case of Rimsha Masih, a Christian teenager accused of having some burnt pages of a child's exercise book quoting the Koran in a bag of rubbish she was carrying.

The case was dismissed last month after a neighbor came forward to say she was framed, possibly to chase Christians out of her neighborhood.

In the past two years, two senior Pakistani officials who suggested reforming the laws have been shot dead, one by his own bodyguard. Lawyers threw rose petals at the killer and the judge who convicted him was forced to flee the country.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of those 6 year olds killed in Sandy Hook--they died for other people's reverence for the Second Amendment.

Blasphemy is just another person's word for extremism.
Leon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but wonder why people are so worried about Iran, which looks civilized in comparison, when Pakistan exists. I mean it's more violent, less stable, and actively sponsors terrorists that actively attack America. Yet they are our ally.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran doesn't look such a big problem to me, either.

Except, Iran has lots of OIL
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
I can't help but wonder why people are so worried about Iran, which looks civilized in comparison, when Pakistan exists. I mean it's more violent, less stable, and actively sponsors terrorists that actively attack America. Yet they are our ally.

Don't forget that whole nuke thing too.
Leon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Honestly there isn't a country in the world that I feel less comfortable with nukes than Pakistan. Yet Iran is a problem for Israel, so it all of a sudden becomes the number one threat to world wide peace and security. Although while we are on this subject, in terms of sponsoring terrorism, and the ideology that promotes terrorism, not to mention the billions of dollars that fund it, What state can compare to Saudi Arabia.
visitorq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting fact about Iran that some people might already be aware of: the Shah was a close personal friend of none other than David Rockefeller. So much so, that after he was ousted in the revolution, Rockefeller personally intervened on his behalf to force President Carter (who was one of Rockefeller's Trilateral Commission lackeys) to fly the Shah onto US territory to receive medical treatment for cancer. This directly precipitated the Iran hostage crisis that followed, and cast Rockefeller into the media spotlight. In short, it's no surprise that Iran is demonized as much as it is all these years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0S5Tm-Ck0s
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

American policy long-term in Pakistan is to divide it into two or more states.

http://news.yahoo.com/provocation-behind-balochistan-resolution-230229177.html

The near-term focus on Iran is not because Iran is an absolute greater threat to America - it isn't any kind of threat, absent US provocation - but because Iran is the most active in funding hostility to Israel in the region.

American interests are not what drives American policy. Admiral Thomas Moorer, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff:
Quote:
�I've never seen a President -- I don't care who he is -- stand up to them [the Israelis]. It just boggles the mind. They always get what they want. The Israelis know what is going on all the time. I got to the point where I wasn't writing any�thing down. If the American people understood what a grip those people have got on our government, they would rise up in arms. Our citizens certainly don't have any idea what goes on.�

American ambassador to Israel:

http://mondoweiss.net/2011/09/us-ambassador-to-israel-says-test-of-every-us-policy-in-middle-east-is-does-it-secure-israel.html

Quote:
American Ambassador to Israel Daniel Shapiro clarified what drives US policies:

�The test of every policy the Administration develops in the Middle East is whether it is consistent with the goal of ensuring Israel�s future as a secure, Jewish, democratic state. That is a commitment that runs as a common thread through our entire government.�

It is not useful to look at American policy in terms of American interests. Nothing makes sense if you do so.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Bucheon Bum, Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. Dempsey, Mullen and Panetta assert that Iran is a rational actor and has not made the decision to pursue nuclear weapons. That's the current and former chairman of the joint chiefs and secretary of defense. Their opinion > neo-con war mongers. Yeah?

Why must I tell you people the same thing over and over again? It is very simple. Iran is 1) a rational actor and 2) not building nuclear weapons.
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Bucheon Bum, Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. Dempsey, Mullen and Panetta assert that Iran is a rational actor and has not made the decision to pursue nuclear weapons. That's the current and former chairman of the joint chiefs and secretary of defense. Their opinion > neo-con war mongers. Yeah?

Why must I tell you people the same thing over and over again? It is very simple. Iran is 1) a rational actor and 2) not building nuclear weapons.

Pretty sure he was referring to Pakistani nukes there.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchens is probably smirking in his grave...
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Prolly. Shouldn't post after Xmas wine.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Leon wrote:
Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Prolly. Shouldn't post after Xmas wine.

Yes, I was referring to pakistan, not Iran.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Honestly there isn't a country in the world that I feel less comfortable with nukes than Pakistan. Yet Iran is a problem for Israel, so it all of a sudden becomes the number one threat to world wide peace and security. Although while we are on this subject, in terms of sponsoring terrorism, and the ideology that promotes terrorism, not to mention the billions of dollars that fund it, What state can compare to Saudi Arabia.

Too much truth in this post.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

Right, I feel much safer in a world with Iranian nukes than one with a nuclear armed Pakistan. I'm pretty sure that Iran will keep track of its weapons, for the sake of pride and legitimacy if nothing else. I have no faith in Pakistan to keep track of anything, even if it wants to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: