Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to lose an F5 visa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r122925 wrote:
Koreadays wrote:
Drew10 wrote:
As long as he's still married then yes. The clock starts ticking all over again for the F5, so he would have to wait his time in order to be eligible for another F5.

so whats the big advantage of an F5 over an f2-1?

It depends on what you consider to be a big advantage, but here are some of them...

F5 is permanent. You never need to renew. (unless you leave the country for more than 2 years as noted above)

If you acquired an F2 through marriage you'll be unable to renew if you get divorced. With an F5 you can keep it.

F5 holders can vote in local elections (can't vote for president or national assembly though).

F5 holders can sponsor a foreign spouse for an F2.

F5 holders can enter the country at the airport through the Korean line, don't have to go through the line for foreigners.

I knew I was forgetting a couple of things.
Koreadays

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r122925 wrote:
Koreadays wrote:
Drew10 wrote:
As long as he's still married then yes. The clock starts ticking all over again for the F5, so he would have to wait his time in order to be eligible for another F5.

It depends on what you consider to be a big advantage, but here are some of them...

F5 is permanent. You never need to renew. (unless you leave the country for more than 2 years as noted above)

Ok, save yourself a trip to immigration every 3 years.

If you acquired an F2 through marriage you'll be unable to renew if you get divorced. With an F5 you can keep it.

true..

F5 holders can vote in local elections (can't vote for president or national assembly though).
Yeah , like anyone really cares about that.

yeah, that's good if you are not married to a korean.

F5 holders can enter the country at the airport through the Korean line, don't have to go through the line for foreigners
have you gotten off a plane at incheon from cebu or bangkok?
I'll take the foreign line thanks!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreadays wrote:
r122925 wrote:
Koreadays wrote:
Drew10 wrote:

Ok, save yourself a trip to immigration every 3 years.

true..

Yeah , like anyone really cares about that.

yeah, that's good if you are not married to a korean.

F5 holders can enter the country at the airport through the Korean line, don't have to go through the line for foreigners
have you gotten off a plane at incheon from cebu or bangkok?
I'll take the foreign line thanks!

Funny, I did something similiar taking a Korean Air flight from Incheon to Chicago. The Koreans all had to get into a really long line, but I, as a Canadian, got to use the Citizen / Permanent Resident / Green Card Holder line. Guess those Americans just like us better. Ha ha. It was pretty quick to get through. Ha ha, all those Koreans in a long waiting line. Ha ha.
Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Suwon Fish wrote:
I'd guessed a serious crime would cause it to be cancelled. I hadn't heard about the 1 year absence. Definately something to remember ^^

Thanks.

Actually, F5 holders are, since Dec. 2010, allowed to be out for up to 2 calendar years before they lose their permanent residence status. It is no different than the residence rules in Canada for PR status or the rules for green card holders in the US.

F5 is a residence visa / status of sojourn and NOT citizenship.

Tom,

If an F5 visa holder leaves for say, 1.5 years, and returns - do you know how long they have to stay in Korea to reset the clock? Is it in an in-and-out like people used to (still?) do with the in-and-out of Japan to reset the clock on their tourist visas or is it longer?

Thanks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be in the country for 36 out of any 60 month period.
IF you are out for more than 24 months during any 60-month period then you lost it.

It it not a clock reset thing.
As mentioned earlier, it is not substantially different than the US green-card or Canadian PR status.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
IF you are out for more than 24 months during any 60-month period then you lost it.

As mentioned earlier, it is not substantially different than the US green-card or Canadian PR status.

Thanks for that. I guess I will have to re-apply at some point.
Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out on a work assignment that was extended. Tom, do you know the process for re-applying? Can I re-apply for the F5 (we have a child, so it's kind of important0 or do I do the F6 to F5 route again?

I think I've heard of mixed couples applying for the F5 while still in the foreign spouse's country (but can't remember if I read from reliable source or not).

Thanks Smile
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the F5 changed? Someone was telling that you have to renew it now every so many years? I think maybe he was confused with the F6?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
I've been out on a work assignment that was extended. Tom, do you know the process for re-applying? Can I re-apply for the F5 (we have a child, so it's kind of important0 or do I do the F6 to F5 route again?

I think I've heard of mixed couples applying for the F5 while still in the foreign spouse's country (but can't remember if I read from reliable source or not).

Thanks Smile

Sorry, I do not know the particulars for a re-application for someone who has K-kids/spouse and has lost their F5 due to an extended stay out of the country.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:

Thanks Smile

Sorry, I do not know the particulars for a re-application for someone who has K-kids/spouse and has lost their F5 due to an extended stay out of the country.

Thanks, Tom.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

ttompatz, do you have a source for this, as it is different to the information I received from 1345 which told me provided I come through immigration every 2 years I keep the status.

Oh well, if I lose it I don't need to visit Korea again. Time to look at Malaysia's MM2H program for retirement if I can't afford Australia.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

ttompatz, do you have a source for this, as it is different to the information I received from 1345 which told me provided I come through immigration every 2 years I keep the status.

Oh well, if I lose it I don't need to visit Korea again. Time to look at Malaysia's MM2H program for retirement if I can't afford Australia.

If 1345 tells you the same thing 3-days in a row (3 different calls) then you can probably take that as accurate and current.

IF not then the above (which was in the policy book circa 2012) is probably still accurate.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
If 1345 tells you the same thing 3-days in a row (3 different calls) then you can probably take that as accurate and current.

IF not then the above (which was in the policy book circa 2012) is probably still accurate.

My wife was told the same thing as big_fella when she called, but I wouldn't be surprised that a government official found the easiest, most general way to describe the rule without the burden of having to go into details.

I'll find out next Friday and will update here.
Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently returned to Korea after spending 26 of the last 36 months, and 28 of the last 60 months, outside of Korea. None of those stints were longer than 2 years.

F5 visa still intact. Even used the auto-gate at immigration. No issues at all.
f12

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

My wife was told the same thing as big_fella when she called, but I wouldn't be surprised that a government official found the easiest, most general way to describe the rule without the burden of having to go into details.

I'll find out next Friday and will update here.

Are you the same Fuzzy who won a wsop in 2011 at the forum poker?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: