Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tea Party America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Tea Party America Reply with quote

Quote:
In Tea Party America, you are on your own. In Tea Party America, you have to take personal responsibility, which means you pay most of your increasingly expensive medical costs, you put out your own fires, you inspect your own meat and you rebuild your own house after a natural disaster. If for some reason you have lost your job and medical insurance, like 49.9 million of our fellow citizens, that's too bad. You'll just have to forgo going to the doctor or put off essential medical screenings. If for some reason, a fire engulfs your house, don't expect firemen to come to save your home. In Tea Party America, their funds have been cut and their equipment is not in good working order. If you get sick from eating spoiled food, that's too bad. In Tea Party America, you should shop at a store that has the funds to hire someone to inspect the food it sells. If a flood, tornado or hurricane destroys your house, don't expect a government bailout because the funds for disaster relief have disappeared in Tea Party America.

In Tea Party America the rich are strong. They work hard, earn good salaries and live relatively healthy lives. In Tea Party America the poor are weak. They are lazy, unemployed and uninsured. In Tea Party America, the poor can no longer expect government "handouts" -- unemployment insurance, Medicaid, food stamps and welfare. These are denied. In Tea Party America, the poor get what they deserve: to live hungry in squalid conditions and die a premature death.

These kinds of beliefs, which underscore much of the Tea Party worldview, come straight out of 19th century Social Darwinism, in which the strong -- or the fit, to use terminology of Social Darwinism -- adapt successfully to adverse conditions. Following this logic, the weak don't have the wherewithal to adapt. In time their weakness makes them more and more socially marginal. As conditions change and people are increasingly left to their own devices, the weak become invisibly inconsequential. They fade away or die prematurely. They are no longer a drag on society. Let that terminally ill uninsured man die. Why should I pay for his care?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stoller/tea-party-america_b_962093.html
Sergio Stefanuto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghostrider,

Give one - just one - example of an occasion in which you invested effort into elevating the well-being of others. Possible examples:

* donation to charity
* giving money to those without healthcare, such that they could then purchase healthcare

I'm all ears.

As for the Tea Party, well, I have no special interest in them, because I am a strident secularist. However, I must say that I find Bill Whittle's videos impressive.
weebil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the good thing about the tea party though is that these internal divisions between them and the mainstream republicans makes the right weak and fractured. divide and conquer, i say.
mrcolin1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: