Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should i go to war with my former school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD_Tiberius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: should i go to war with my former school Reply with quote

I finished my last contract with gyeongnam poe in september and my new contract with a different POE begins in November. My school is refusing to pay the exit allowance on the basis of article 11.4 in my contract which states that the employee may change POE aftwr finishing a contract if they obtain a letter of release. However if they do this they shall not receive an exit allowance.

Now,i received no letter of release. I was told that it was impossible because of the gap between the contracts. So in my opinion i should have received this allowance. My school took it upon itself to NOT give me a simple letter that would have solved all their little problems. My old school is arguing that because they knew i was changing POE they dont have to pay me anything...

any thoughts? is there a case for them to pay me? i stayed in korea and travelled.because my visa was 13months instead of the usual 12. But by their argument i wouldnt receive anything even if i went home then came back because they knew i was changing province. And the only reason they knew that is because my so called 'friend' of a coteacher blabbed to them.

Its not even the money thats the issue. Its the principle. As it is i feel quite betrayed by them and my former coteacher.
Rutherford

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you finished your one year year contract and will be starting a new contract with a different POE two months later?

How is that different than if you finished your job and then signed a new contract with a hogwan or university? I don't think this will hold up if you challenge them on it. Try to talk to them about it. If that doesn't work, go above their heads to someone in the POE, then try labor board.
JD_Tiberius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Thats what i'm thinking. It wasnt a direct switch as stipulated in the contract, therefore clause 11.4 doesnt apply. I tried talking to my former coteacher but she hung up on me as i was explaining the hole in the schools argument

i have a funny feeling the new principal has a hand in this. He dislikes foreign teachers
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not deal with the school. Go to the POE. If you don't get satisfaction there, then do to the Labor Board.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll win the battle but not the war.....
bbud656

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in a similar problem. I finished my contract with a POE position and got a uni gig, but my school doesnt want to pay even though the law is on my side. The POE coordinator doesnt want to get involved. Going to the labor board next week to get things started.
jeremysums

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: should i go to war with my former school Reply with quote

Did you?

JD_Tiberius wrote:
I finished my last contract with gyeongnam poe in september and my new contract with a different POE begins in November. My school is refusing to pay the exit allowance on the basis of article 11.4 in my contract which states that the employee may change POE aftwr finishing a contract if they obtain a letter of release. However if they do this they shall not receive an exit allowance.

Now,i received no letter of release. I was told that it was impossible because of the gap between the contracts. So in my opinion i should have received this allowance. My school took it upon itself to NOT give me a simple letter that would have solved all their little problems. My old school is arguing that because they knew i was changing POE they dont have to pay me anything...

any thoughts? is there a case for them to pay me? i stayed in korea and travelled.because my visa was 13months instead of the usual 12. But by their argument i wouldnt receive anything even if i went home then came back because they knew i was changing province. And the only reason they knew that is because my so called 'friend' of a coteacher blabbed to them.

Its not even the money thats the issue. Its the principle. As it is i feel quite betrayed by them and my former coteacher.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD_Tiberius wrote:
Yeah. Thats what i'm thinking. It wasnt a direct switch as stipulated in the contract, therefore clause 11.4 doesnt apply. I tried talking to my former coteacher but she hung up on me as i was explaining the hole in the schools argument

i have a funny feeling the new principal has a hand in this. He dislikes foreign teachers

You are not directly switching jobs. You are taking some time off in between jobs. I assume, you will have to do a Japan run or something to this effect? That costs you money. You got no letter of release. Therefore, they owe you the money. First talk to the POE. Failing that go back to the school. Keep calling them. If they keep hanging up on you. Go to the labor board and file the complaint. Then, go to the school everyday. "Do you have my money yet?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: