Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boyong's Girls School in Dongducheon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tausha12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Boyong's Girls School in Dongducheon Reply with quote

I've recently accepted a job at Boyong's Girls school. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this specific school OR if anyone has any experience with a girl's middle school.

Thanks
Modernist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach MS here. If you are a girl, teaching all girls will be harder than for a guy. In the same way teaching all boys is harder for [many] male teachers. When the genders cross you are even more of a novelty than usual for them and this drains some of the 'issues.' Also, some proportion of your students would promptly develop huge crushes on you and either a) become a model \'pet' student or b) reduce their typical acting out considerably. Both are quite helpful for the 12-15 age group in Korean MS.

If you think your school will be full only nice yong ladies who love English and behave like angels, prepare yourself. Korean MS girls can be vicious little things, or as sullen and noncooperative as any boy. They are often very moody and can swing wildly from crazed exuberance to absolute depression within an afternoon. They love praise and approval, more than boys, and crave it continiously.

They are pack animals through and through. The key to working with them is knowing how to use this fact to your advantage. I personally much prefer girls to boys and I've learned how to 'play' mine so we can accomplish things, at least some of the time. But then, I'm a guy.
tausha12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have a teenage sister and I've substituted several of her classes. I know how teenagers can be! Honestly I can't wait though. It'll be a definite change vs. teaching kinder!
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxis aren't too keen on U.S. soldiers, watch out. You will probably be mistaken for a soldier if you take a taxi since defense is what it's all about up there. The area is near the DMZ, be careful. You will be on the front line if war breaks out and you'll have the furthest to run. I've heard some Korean soldiers say that if such a thing would happen they wouldn't stay to fight, rather they'd run south. Wear your tenni runners at all times. Taxis is Seoul are much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: