Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IHerb.com ordering and tax
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atwood

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
wanderkind wrote:

(The iHerb customer service response appears to have been some cut-paste reply that didn't answer my question and suggested they didn't really read what I wrote...and also the representative's name was spelled inconsistently in different places...not sure how helpful they're going to be.)

Yup, that's why I stopped using iHerb.

Agreed on the customer service, but I somehow qualified as a VIP customer so get an automatic 5% off all orders, 10% discount when I hit $60 and there's usually free shipping for orders over $60 so I've stuck with them.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
wanderkind wrote:

(The iHerb customer service response appears to have been some cut-paste reply that didn't answer my question and suggested they didn't really read what I wrote...and also the representative's name was spelled inconsistently in different places...not sure how helpful they're going to be.)

Agreed on the customer service, but I somehow qualified as a VIP customer so get an automatic 5% off all orders, 10% discount when I hit $60 and there's usually free shipping for orders over $60 so I've stuck with them.

Do you order copious amounts from them, or was it a clerical error you're happy to leave uncorrected?

Captain Corea wrote:

Is there a similar company you find more reliable?
atwood

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
atwood wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
wanderkind wrote:

Do you order copious amounts from them, or was it a clerical error you're happy to leave uncorrected?

Captain Corea wrote:

Is there a similar company you find more reliable?

Not copious amounts--how could one with the customs restrictions?--but regularly over a period of several years now. And I wrote a few reviews, although I rarely do that.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone's order been delayed at customs over the past week or so? My order's been stuck at Incheon for the past three days, yet I've received no phone calls/emails and have no idea what's going on. There aren't more than six vitamins in the order, and the cost and weight is below the maximum allowed. Are they extra busy at this time of year? I've shot an email off to iherb, but still awaiting a reply.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Has anyone's order been delayed at customs over the past week or so? My order's been stuck at Incheon for the past three days, yet I've received no phone calls/emails and have no idea what's going on. There aren't more than six vitamins in the order, and the cost and weight is below the maximum allowed. Are they extra busy at this time of year? I've shot an email off to iherb, but still awaiting a reply.

Customs seems to be going after everyone, regardless of weight, price or items.
They did the exact same thing to me. No contact...just delay.
I contacted iherb...pointless exercise.
I called customs...two days later my stuff came in.
My story is almost identical to Wanderkind's.

The incidents are so similar it defies randomness.
There is something going on with Iherb customers and customs.

Anyway, while it was extremely annoying, it did come...without added cost.

Iherb customer service is pretty bad, but thankfully I don't need them very often..if at all.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a number for an English-speaker at customs?
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Do you have a number for an English-speaker at customs?

I don't think they have one just for English
The main number can be found on their English site page.
http://www.customs.go.kr/kcshome/site/index.do?layoutSiteId=english
The main number is 1577 - 8577
Sorry...I had someone call them for me.

Make sure you have your tracking number ready.
Best of luck
Wink
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
plato's republic wrote:

Customs seems to be going after everyone, regardless of weight, price or items.
They did the exact same thing to me. No contact...just delay.
I contacted iherb...pointless exercise.
I called customs...two days later my stuff came in.
My story is almost identical to Wanderkind's.

That is so bizarre CosmicHum...
I never followed up with what happened, but it just extended the similarities. I eventually read a post elsewhere (from about 3 years ago) listing an Customs email address you could contact for held packages. I emailed them, provided details of the package, and asked what was up. I got a lengthy Korean auto-reply back I never bothered translating, but (maybe by coincidence) my package was suddenly released and delivered a couple days later. No payment required. Very odd, and more annoying than anything else.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, since you guys are good with this stuff or somewhat knowledgeable. What's good for burning fat, giving energy, and maybe building some strength or muscle? (I don't want to be the hulk or anything.)

Which I herb product do you recomment?
hwarangi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my package was delayed for about a week as well - no reason given. A lot of Korean bloggers are complaining about the same thing.

Sigh. Might give Vitacost a try.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwarangi wrote:
Yes, my package was delayed for about a week as well - no reason given. A lot of Korean bloggers are complaining about the same thing.

Sigh. Might give Vitacost a try.

Vitacost has better prices and selection, but the shipping is going to be much more expensive and will eat up all the savings and more.

My guess is that this has to do with the overall increase in overseas Internet buying by Koreans. They can't stop it, especially with all the FTAs now in place, but they can make it more difficult for everyone involved.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was told that my package was in quarantine!? It should be released shortly. No reason was given. This brings to mind something I read a few weeks back about certain Korean companies lobbying the K-gvt to try and make it more difficult for foreign companies to ship their products here. I believe iHerb was one of the companies cited against. Seems like they're bitter at the increasing number of Koreans ordering stuff online, rather than paying through the nose for the same or similar items in Korea. Seems like customs are quite political.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Was told that my package was in quarantine!? It should be released shortly. No reason was given. This brings to mind something I read a few weeks back about certain Korean companies lobbying the K-gvt to try and make it more difficult for foreign companies to ship their products here. I believe iHerb was one of the companies cited against. Seems like they're bitter at the increasing number of Koreans ordering stuff online, rather than paying through the nose for the same or similar items in Korea. Seems like customs are quite political.

Yeah...I go with this, too.
I give Iherb a bit of slack for this reason.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, that phone call seems to have worked wonders. I've just checked the tracking info and it's now arrived in Seoul. Seems like they were holding onto it for no apparent reason whatsoever, other than to inconvenience people.

Here's another number to call customs (in English): Woojung Global Customs at 070-4706-1153.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered from iHerb and this is on their website:
Quote:
Important Note
Special Customs inspection is starting today(6/10). Korea Customs will be increased the rate of Customs inspection. Please note that there will be delayed due to special processing.
If the package is not delivered due to incorrect shipping information, it will be disposed of 30 days after the arrival date in Korea.
As of Jan 1st, 2014, South Korea will be switching over to a new street address system. Although we can still deliver to your current address, we strongly recommend that you update your shipping address in our system as soon as possible. Please visit the following website for help on finding your new, updated address www.juso.go.kr Thank you.

I guess Obama's complaints about Korea's failure to abide by the FTA with the US, which has been attributed mostly to Customs not letting products through, fell on deaf ears.

Or it could be they don't like all the overseas Internet shopping smart Korean consumers are doing. Then there's the bonuses that customs agents rack up for stopping goods from getting through.

No matter the reason, you can't fight City Hall. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: