Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cancelling Your Flight After Contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjaminthunderbolt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Cancelling Your Flight After Contract? Reply with quote

I plan to travel at the end of my contract, and recently spoke with my employer about options. They recommend, very wink-wink, nudge-nudge, that I order a ticket, give them the receipt (so they have documentation), and then cancel the flight for a refund.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What airlines are the best/worst? I've tried searching but couldn't find much. Cheers.
cincynate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it with Delta. They charged me $150.00 to cancel the ticket, no questions asked. Use Expedia.. they don't charge you anything (orbitz charges $100.00 on top of the delta charge), and expedia's customer service is awesome!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean air only charges 30k won for a cancellation and refund.

If you pay by credit card then your card will be credited back in about 3-5 days. No cash refund.

If you pay by cash then the refund can take up to 60 days to process.

big_fella1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do this with Cathay Pacific, 8 weeks to process a credit card refund, and I only got the money after I requested a chargeback from my bank.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cancelling Your Flight After Contract? Reply with quote

benjaminthunderbolt wrote:
I plan to travel at the end of my contract, and recently spoke with my employer about options. They recommend, very wink-wink, nudge-nudge, that I order a ticket, give them the receipt (so they have documentation), and then cancel the flight for a refund.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What airlines are the best/worst? I've tried searching but couldn't find much. Cheers.

Who is your employer? If it's a private outfit, then why don't you simply ask them for payment in lieu? There's no reason for the nudging and winking if the boss has the say on your compensation.

If it's a P/MOE, then you most likely won't be able to do that anymore, although others have done so in the past. The rules were changed not so long ago that you (supposedly) need to present proof of you actually taking the trip to get reimbursed for it.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is in a private Middle School (he said on another thread). I don't know if they're answerable to an official body like EPIK but I'm guessing they're not.

If not then is this just an immigration issue, and a receipt for a bought ticket would be sufficient? Just curious as I'm not in a private MS.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
OP is in a private Middle School (he said on another thread). I don't know if they're answerable to an official body like EPIK but I'm guessing they're not.

They are if the OP was placed at the private middle school by EPIK. Some private schools had contracts with the government for that purpose. The school administered the payments, but the source of the GET's pay was EPIK.

Quote:
If not then is this just an immigration issue, and a receipt for a bought ticket would be sufficient? Just curious as I'm not in a private MS.

If the OP's school is answerable to EPIK for the reimbursement and the OP plans on traveling around Korea at the end of the contract, simply get the ticket for departure a certain number of days after the end of the contract and go to Immigration to get the visa extended for that time. Remember that the reimbursable flight must be taken quite soon--I think it's five days or five business days, don't remember which--after the end of the contract.

If the OP plans on traveling outside of Korea, then Immigration doesn't care, so long as they see a ticket for departure. It's on the other country, and of course the airline responsible for travel to said other country, what proof is required to enter that country.
benjaminthunderbolt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not through EPIK, it's a private, SDA Middle School. As far as I can tell, all they need is a receipt for their end-of-the-year accounts, so I could literally order a ticket, print the receipt, and then cancel the ticket. No harm, no foul. The school administration inferred at least this much, so I'm more wondering if anyone has done it before. Thanks for the tips!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: