Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gyeongju University
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Gyeongju University Reply with quote

Just want to send out a warning to those who are thinking about applying to Gyeongju University. Last year they hired around sixty foreign staff. They had these foreign staff teach content courses with virtually not support. Many teachers came into the job midway through the spring semester and were housed in the dorms of a two year college. Recently, they decided to fire all their foreign staff except those with a certain amount of experience. I don't work there but I know good people who do and I work in the area.
whiteshoes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend there, he said they are looking towards trying to get all MA's.

Word on the street is that the government is going to raise the requirements to work at unis. Some of the lower unis, like Gyeongju are at risk of being closed. Because of this threat, they are pushing hard to meet all requirements.

Now if someone knew the exact requirements, that'd be something I'd like to see.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteshoes wrote:

Word on the street is that the government is going to raise the requirements to work at unis. Some of the lower unis, like Gyeongju are at risk of being closed. Because of this threat, they are pushing hard to meet all requirements.

Now if someone knew the exact requirements, that'd be something I'd like to see.

Yes, this is true. I wouldn't advise people to work there though as they are trying to meet these requirements.
waseige1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank the Iconoclast wrote:
whiteshoes wrote:

Yes, this is true. I wouldn't advise people to work there though as they are trying to meet these requirements.

Confused Question That I do not understand....
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waseige1 wrote:
whiteshoes wrote:

Apologies. They are trying to change their university around so they can continue to get government subsidies. They were told to shape up or they would receive no money from the Korean government. That's why they are letting go most of their foreign staff and trying to hire teachers with a MA or a BA+3 years experience.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/09/113_94210.html
waseige1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waseige1 wrote:
whiteshoes wrote:

Apologies. They are trying to change their university around so they can continue to get government subsidies. They were told to shape up or they would receive no money from the Korean government. That's why they are letting go most of their foreign staff and trying to hire teachers with a MA or a BA+3 years experience.

I applaud it anytime Korea does anything to raise the standards. The more competitive and legitimate they make the English programs, the more valuable they make us that are qualified.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waseige1 wrote:
waseige1 wrote:
whiteshoes wrote:

I applaud it anytime Korea does anything to raise the standards. The more competitive and legitimate they make the English programs, the more valuable they make us that are qualified.

I do too. But, what does this have to do with Korea? I am just telling qualified folks to stay clear of this place. It has a lot of problems. Why would anyone want to work at a place that hires 60 teachers and then fires all but a few after a year?
whiteshoes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too. But, what does this have to do with Korea? I am just telling qualified folks to stay clear of this place. It has a lot of problems. Why would anyone want to work at a place that hires 60 teachers and then fires all but a few after a year?

The guy I know there likes it, he's just getting fired. Of course, his qualification was 1 year at a hagwon, and he knew he might not stay around that long. He has total freedom in his class, and gets to create his own classes all the time.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the hiring/firing episode, what exactly are these other problems you mentioned? Care to go into specifics?
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference between being fired and not having your contract renewed for another year. Were these teachers really fired, or were they just not renewed?

And why on Earth would they need 60 teachers. Even the largest uni in Korea would not have close to that many.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gyeongju University Reply with quote

Just want to send out a warning to those who are thinking about applying to Gyeongju University. Last year they hired around sixty foreign staff. They had these foreign staff teach content courses with virtually not support. Many teachers came into the job midway through the spring semester and were housed in the dorms of a two year college. Recently, they decided to fire all their foreign staff except those with a certain amount of experience. I don't work there but I know good people who do and I work in the area.

Could you elaborate on the 'college dorms'; is the housing really bad there?

Edit sorry mixed the name up with a similar sounding one! Wouldn't appoly for a uni job with 4 weeks vaca anyway! Terrible deal!
eat_yeot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
And why on Earth would they need 60 teachers. Even the largest uni in Korea would not have close to that many.

Unis are hiring foreign teachers for ranking points. There are plenty of unis out there with 50-100 foreign teachers.
toonchoon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eat_yeot wrote:
drcrazy wrote:

Unis are hiring foreign teachers for ranking points. There are plenty of unis out there with 50-100 foreign teachers.

My uni has 10 foreigners total... and we have a student body of about 8,000. I know of smaller unis that have 5x as many foreigners teaching there. I suppose my uni doesn't need the rankings.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give more specifics via private message.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
There is a big difference between being fired and not having your contract renewed for another year. Were these teachers really fired, or were they just not renewed?

They were not renewed because the university is trying to avoid being shut down. If they can't turn it around, then everyone will get the axe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: