Site Search:
 
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries going down the tubes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
naturegirl321



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Location: Home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Salaries going down the tubes? Reply with quote

I can't believe how low salaries are getting to be. I've seen more than a handful of uni jobs that require an MA and experience, yet barely pay over 2 mil a month.

I hope the economy gets better. There are just too many teachers in Korea Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
english puppet



Joined: 04 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Salaries going down the tubes? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I can't believe how low salaries are getting to be. I've seen more than a handful of uni jobs that require an MA and experience, yet barely pay over 2 mil a month.

I hope the economy gets better. There are just too many teachers in Korea Sad


Hey, maybe the Won will keep tanking and people will start packin' up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weso1



Joined: 26 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some places are also requiring teachers to pay their own rents or not offering flight money.

The good ole' days have passed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Location: Home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, I know. I was thinking about the Middle East in a couple years, but I think that's out as well.

Oh well, economy should pick up in 2015 ish or so, right?

I just can't believe how many uni jobs are paying 1,8 to 2.2. And in Seoul to boot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
english puppet



Joined: 04 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Sigh, I know. I was thinking about the Middle East in a couple years, but I think that's out as well.

Oh well, economy should pick up in 2015 ish or so, right?

I just can't believe how many uni jobs are paying 1,8 to 2.2. And in Seoul to boot.


Well, it's not even that much with the rate where it is today.

One way I'm trying to hedge my money here is using a foreign currency account. Buy up a lot of Won (ie. now with $ in the account) and then if the Won improves buy dollars/pounds etc with the stronger Won. You're not going to get rich probably but it might save a percentage over the longer range.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kimchifart



Joined: 15 Sep 2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Salaries going down the tubes? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I can't believe how low salaries are getting to be. I've seen more than a handful of uni jobs that require an MA and experience, yet barely pay over 2 mil a month.

I hope the economy gets better. There are just too many teachers in Korea Sad


Yeah, I just saw a job in Seoul offering 2.0 with no mention of housing on the ad. I mean seriously, you're basically paying them to be at the job with those sorts of 'benefits'.

I was recently offered one at a uni in the south and that was taking home 1.8 after tax/pension and you had to pay your own housing with a 300,000 stipend. That is not a suitable job for someone with ANY financial responsibilities whatsoever. They are only jobs for the single man/woman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Location: Home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

english puppet wrote:
Well, it's not even that much with the rate where it is today.

One way I'm trying to hedge my money here is using a foreign currency account. Buy up a lot of Won (ie. now with $ in the account) and then if the Won improves buy dollars/pounds etc with the stronger Won. You're not going to get rich probably but it might save a percentage over the longer range.


Any bank that you recommend in particular?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
cheolsu



Joined: 16 Jan 2009

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the market is headed, eventually, towards being competitive rather than a sign-up list. I would say that I'm good at what I do, interviewing well with good references, and having experience as well. I lack formal qualifications (education degree or a master's), so I don't know what it's like for those people. I don't know if they're noticing the pinch. If those with qualifications are still making good money while salaries stagnate for those without formal training, I can't feel too bad.

About the university job paying 2 million without a mention of housing, that ad was posted about 2-3 weeks before the deadline. It was re-posted just before the deadline and then again about ten days after that. That suggests, as expected, that nobody in the position to apply for a university job is willing to do it for 2 million without housing.

I do think newbies should make it a point to never accept a hagwon job for 2.2, particularly if it's out of the Seoul area, and we should publicize this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Julius



Joined: 27 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheolsu wrote:
I do think newbies should make it a point to never accept a hagwon job for 2.2, particularly if it's out of the Seoul area, and we should publicize this point.


Unfortunately 2.0 is still better than nothing for thousands of unemployed americans. And the global economy ain't bouncing back anytime soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes back down to 1.8. And they'd still be able to fill every position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Location: Home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheolsu wrote:
I think the market is headed, eventually, towards being competitive rather than a sign-up list. I would say that I'm good at what I do, interviewing well with good references, and having experience as well. I lack formal qualifications (education degree or a master's), so I don't know what it's like for those people. I don't know if they're noticing the pinch. If those with qualifications are still making good money while salaries stagnate for those without formal training, I can't feel too bad.

I've got formal quals and exp and I think that more and more places are looking for one of two things.
1. any warm body that can teach
2. The most experienced person who will work for the lowest salary.

What gets me is that while they can fill every position, they often complain about hte quality of teachers. If they want quality teachers, they're going to have to pay more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
nathanrutledge



Joined: 01 May 2008
Location: Marakesh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
cheolsu wrote:
I think the market is headed, eventually, towards being competitive rather than a sign-up list. I would say that I'm good at what I do, interviewing well with good references, and having experience as well. I lack formal qualifications (education degree or a master's), so I don't know what it's like for those people. I don't know if they're noticing the pinch. If those with qualifications are still making good money while salaries stagnate for those without formal training, I can't feel too bad.

I've got formal quals and exp and I think that more and more places are looking for one of two things.
1. any warm body that can teach
2. The most experienced person who will work for the lowest salary.

What gets me is that while they can fill every position, they often complain about hte quality of teachers. If they want quality teachers, they're going to have to pay more.


If I'm not mistaken, don't you have a sweet job at SKK U? Why are you looking for jobs on the boards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Location: Home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanrutledge wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, don't you have a sweet job at SKK U? Why are you looking for jobs on the boards?


Never know what will happen.


Last edited by naturegirl321 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Julius



Joined: 27 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
What gets me is that while they can fill every position, they often complain about hte quality of teachers. If they want quality teachers, they're going to have to pay more.


Or, they complain about the quality of the teachers then turn around and only hire the least qualified, least experienced teachers because they're younger.

Ridiculous industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
liveinkorea316



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Location: South Korea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not as rediculous as you might think.

I said the same thing to my colleague the other day - that the school would just take another warm body but he correctly reminded me that it was not the case and to look around me. Our Uni tries to only hire people with Masters degrees to teach credit courses and if your students give you consistent bad evaluations you are out.

By far the most important thing however is that Universities compete with one another. Students talk to their friends at other universities and your university will get a reputation. So based on qualification and by hiring quality teachers, the university will try to improve the language teaching part of its university to give it a favourable reputation; or at least not a bad one.

Even public universities compete in this way. They get more funding for a Masters teacher. They get happier students and a better reputation from hiring a better teacher.

When the student comes to the office and asks a question and finds the teacher has a bachelor of leisure studies the student - who may be a very serious student - could get a very negative impression about the care the university is taking in his english, especially if the class is terrible. If the class is not good but the teacher is qualified, the student is far less likely to to complain bitterly and spred vial rumours about a slack uni that doesn't care about it's student's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Julius



Joined: 27 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinkorea316 wrote:
Its not as rediculous as you might think.



Why does everyone spell this word with an "e"? Its not a colour btw.

RIDICULOUS
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Ridiculous
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International