Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries going down the tubes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're evaluated as well, but more often than not student evaluations are just a popularity contest or a way to get back at the teacher if they don't like them.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
randall020105

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

hi all. i was just wondering... i have a degree in basket weaving a tefl and +-3,2 years experience at the same school, excellent refference...
would a uni still need a M?

R.
valhor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting 2.3 (paid housing etc) at a Hagwon, and I'm quite satisfied with it. It's my first job out of university, it's directly in Seoul and I plan on being here only one year so far. When I go back home, I hope to find a job that pays this well as i'm probably working twice as hard.. Guys, you have it good here, people need to wake up.

Last edited by valhor on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
valhor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
liveinkorea316 wrote:
Its not as rediculous as you might think.

Why does everyone spell this word with an "e"? Its not a colour btw.

RIDICULOUS
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Ridiculous

Shut up lol.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Salaries going down the tubes? Reply with quote

Kimchifart wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
I can't believe how low salaries are getting to be. I've seen more than a handful of uni jobs that require an MA and experience, yet barely pay over 2 mil a month.

I hope the economy gets better. There are just too many teachers in Korea Sad

Yeah, I just saw a job in Seoul offering 2.0 with no mention of housing on the ad. I mean seriously, you're basically paying them to be at the job with those sorts of 'benefits'.

I was recently offered one at a uni in the south and that was taking home 1.8 after tax/pension and you had to pay your own housing with a 300,000 stipend. That is not a suitable job for someone with ANY financial responsibilities whatsoever. They are only jobs for the single man/woman.

I assume they were giving housing but didn't mention it because it's assumed. A hogwan can't offer no housing even in this environment. No one would work for it when the other 99% still are offereing housing. Seems salaries have stagnated. May start going down if the downturn continues. WIll see what happens over the next year or so.

I'll keep my EPIK job and accumulate those raises I guess.
different

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm getting 2.3 (paid housing etc) at a Hagwon, and I'm quite satisfied with it. It's my first job out of university, it's directly in Seoul and I plan on being here only one year so far. When I go back home, I hope to find a job that pays this well as i'm probably working twice as hard.. Guys, you have it good here, people need to wake up.

Most people here don't have as nice of a situation as you. You got lucky. Wake up.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valhor wrote:

I think the OP was talking about university jobs. Those require a (costly) masters degree so it's a bit audacious for them to be offering salaries that are the same or less than jobs (like your hagwon job) that only require a BA.

Salaries for the public schools have stayed about the same (read: stagnated). Hagwons (even yours) are paying less than before.

I get what you're saying but having something is not the same as having it good.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanrutledge wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
cheolsu wrote:
I think the market is headed, eventually, towards being competitive rather than a sign-up list. I would say that I'm good at what I do, interviewing well with good references, and having experience as well. I lack formal qualifications (education degree or a master's), so I don't know what it's like for those people. I don't know if they're noticing the pinch. If those with qualifications are still making good money while salaries stagnate for those without formal training, I can't feel too bad.

I've got formal quals and exp and I think that more and more places are looking for one of two things.
1. any warm body that can teach
2. The most experienced person who will work for the lowest salary.

What gets me is that while they can fill every position, they often complain about hte quality of teachers. If they want quality teachers, they're going to have to pay more.

If I'm not mistaken, don't you have a sweet job at SKK U? Why are you looking for jobs on the boards?

Nothing wrong with looking at job boards while you're employed. I noticed these postings, too, while employed.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes that nobody has mentioned that, as of last year, we now pay close to 16% tax instead of 3.3% on our income.

Not only has the won gone to crap in recent years, and prices doubled on many items in the past 10 years, we lost an additional 12% of our pay to taxes.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I've got formal quals and exp and I think that more and more places are looking for one of two things.
1. any warm body that can teach
2. The most experienced person who will work for the lowest salary.

Sounds about right for any employer. Wink

naturegirl321 wrote:
What gets me is that while they can fill every position, they often complain about hte quality of teachers. If they want quality teachers, they're going to have to pay more.

Employers don't really pay more for credentials, they pay for scarcity of credentials. And right now, there's not much scarcity. When people with MAs and BEds are applying for programs like EPIK, you know something's gone awry.

But cheolsu made the point also that that 2.0 mil uni job wasn't getting many bites from prospective teachers. So that's promising. If I'd bothered to pay the money and put in the time and effort to get an MA, I wouldn't accept a job that didn't pay accordingly.

Last edited by isitts on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Porksta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
It amazes that nobody has mentioned that, as of last year, we now pay close to 16% tax instead of 3.3% on our income.

Not only has the won gone to crap in recent years, and prices doubled on many items in the past 10 years, we lost an additional 12% of our pay to taxes.

I'm still only paying about 3.3%
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porksta wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

I'm still only paying about 3.3%

I believe Americans get a tax break their first year. Otherwise, you may find the govt hunting you down for back taxes in the future.
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valhor wrote:

Congratulations. Being in Seoul and making that without experience is not how it usually works (not in the past few years at least).

I'm guessing that:

1) You went to a really good (even prestigious) university

2) You are very attractive looking and probably female (anyone who says that this dones't matter in hagwons in Korea knows nothing about how hagwons work)

3) You are an education major

4) You got very lucky

At least one of the above is applicable.

No disrespect intended, I am being very sincere. I hope that your time in Korea continues to go so well.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

If my salary includes my housing subsidy, my deductions total approximately 6% of my income. If it doesn't include the rent subsidy, it's about 7% of my income. Seems to be about the same level of deductions for the past few years for me.

The exchange rate and higher cost of living is a drag. Things will have to change or it won't be worth it anymore. Let the Koreans bask in their glory for now. A perfect storm is coming. The end of the recession and the rise of China. They'll soon have to jack their wages to be competitive.

Only reason Japan has dropped off is because of their economy. Korea may not go that way if their economy keeps growing. Still, with the higher exchange rate of the yen, it's probably almost comparable to Korea. I found non housing prices to not be that bad when I visited a year ago.

I'll give it another year or two to see what happens. Hopefully with the US turnaround, Korea will export more and the won will rise again. (Might take an election change for that to happen stateside.)

If anyone was paying 3%, was that because they were getting no medical insurance or pension? Was the employer doing something strange? I had heard something about rates going up or benefits being taxed, maybe in 2010, but still I noticed no difference for me in what I paid.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch prices drop with FTA (Free Trade Agreement) or at least stay almost the same. Mostly in the area of food as many manufactured items will not be solely made in the USA. So, that increased competition should reduce inflationary pressure. Just might take 2 to 4 years before we really start to see that benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: