Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syria
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartacist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard today that Syria's air defences are at least 5 times better than Libya's, and their army is much more professional than Libya's under Gaddafi - more reasons why there will be no foreign military intervention.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacist wrote:
I heard today that Syria's air defences are at least 5 times better than Libya's, and their army is much more professional than Libya's under Gaddafi - more reasons why there will be no foreign military intervention.

While I agree with you, I had to chuckle at the bolded part.

5X next to nothing is still next to nothing.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Spartacist wrote:

While I agree with you, I had to chuckle at the bolded part.

5X next to nothing is still next to nothing.

That's right. The US expended $200 million in Tomahawk missiles to neutralize Qaddaffi's air defenses. In the global military context, $200 million is milk money.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I think, on a gut level, things like this need to be ended, I really question if the United States ever really makes things much better. In recent news from today there are two examples of this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/world/asia/afghanistan-civilians-killed-american-soldier-held.html?_r=1&hp

An American Sargent walks into civilians homes and guns them down, yes this will help spread the love of America across the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/world/middleeast/killings-strike-fear-in-iraqi-gay-and-emo-youth.html?ref=world

Iraqi teenagers who look "emo" are rounded up and stoned to death, and the Iraqi government is complicit in it. You know what the say, new boss same as the old one....
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would generally like us to stop being the world's cop and when we do get involved, it should be a broad support, preferably through some multinational organization like the UN, NATO, etc.

Invovlement for purely economic reasons has to stop (first gulf war for example and some would argue the 2nd).

There is a moral line that every country must make. I would hate to see us ignore outright genocide. Involvement in something like Rwanda is worth the risk. Also, more should have been done to stop the butchery and slavery in south Sudan.

I would not be opposed to us working with the arab league and if they approve, surrepditiously aid the rebels with food, arms, ammo and intel and use of drones and such to aid them.
Spartacist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
As much as I think, on a gut level, things like this need to be ended, I really question if the United States ever really makes things much better.

U.S. interference in the Middle East is constantly creating more problems for the U.S. to clean up further down the line. Examples of this are almost too numerous to mention; two great examples though are Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden, both of who received U.S. support early in their careers.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!!!
(It was the name of a movie. A long time before [some of] you were born)

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/03/19/201791.html
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia and China back UN condemnation of Syria
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It is clear as day that even if the Syrian opposition is armed to the teeth, it will not be able to defeat the government's army," the Interfax news agency quoted Lavrov as saying while on a visit to the former Soviet nation of Azerbaijan.

"Instead, there will be carnage that lasts many, many years - mutual destruction."

article

Yeah, I don't see this ending in the immediate future.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Quote:
"It is clear as day that even if the Syrian opposition is armed to the teeth, it will not be able to defeat the government's army," the Interfax news agency quoted Lavrov as saying while on a visit to the former Soviet nation of Azerbaijan.

"Instead, there will be carnage that lasts many, many years - mutual destruction."

article

Yeah, I don't see this ending in the immediate future.

Oh the fun of International Relations in the Middle East, no matter what you do it will probably make things worse.
ontheway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a matter of time ...

After the November election, either Obama or Romney will commit US forces to Syria. The US is already laying the groundwork. Iran will have to wait a while longer.

Russia is trying to help secure their long-term ally and end the uprising before the election. They know that after that, if the revolt is still raging, the invasion is on.

This will be the next US war.
sirius black

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moslem countries are obvious siding against the Syrian government, so why can't they do the 'heavy lifting' and do something about it militarily? I would be for American logistical support, intel, supply materials, first aid, humanitarian aid for the displaced, even the use of drones but not direct, troops on the ground fighting.
Let the Arab League sort it out with the backing of the UN.
ersatzredux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent article from the Guardian on the media manipulation involved in the long term and well organized plan to destroy the Syrian state and turn Syria into a sectarian hell hole dominated by Western powers and their shameless Gulf state minion princelings:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/12/syrian-opposition-doing-the-talking

Funny I didn't see any of that on the BBC, CBC, VOA, or all the rest. Just the blaring headline and then near the bottom of the article the sort of half disclaimer that nothing has been verified. Then why say it? I think we know.

Anyway, remember this the next atrocity article coming out of Syria and the next "activist" begging for us to come and bomb the hell out of them. We've seen this script before and know how it ends. Not well for Syrians, that's for certain.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ersatzredux wrote:
An excellent article from the Guardian on the media manipulation involved in the long term and well organized plan to destroy the Syrian state and turn Syria into a sectarian hell hole dominated by Western powers and their shameless Gulf state minion princelings:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/12/syrian-opposition-doing-the-talking

Funny I didn't see any of that on the BBC, CBC, VOA, or all the rest. Just the blaring headline and then near the bottom of the article the sort of half disclaimer that nothing has been verified. Then why say it? I think we know.

Anyway, remember this the next atrocity article coming out of Syria and the next "activist" begging for us to come and bomb the hell out of them. We've seen this script before and know how it ends. Not well for Syrians, that's for certain.

So basically you've become an apologist for dictators. Awesome.

Sorry, but Syria is already a hell hole. Still think Qadaffi's fall was bad for Libya?
ersatzredux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you even read the article? Why not look it over, click on the links in it for background sources, and tell me that things really are as simple as they are portayed in the media. And if you can make an argument that what I am saying makes me an apologist for dictators then I will reply to it. I don't see how you can.

As for Libya, yes, they were better off- for all the reasons I mentioned in that thread. This will only become more apparent as time goes on. These are early days, after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 3 of 29

Jump to: