Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syria
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
The comments at the article are overwhelmingly hostile. To get back on my soapbox, the elite will do what they want unless the citizens really put up a fight.

What a stupid sentence: "to rescue democracy".

This war and rearrangement might be more akin to democracy, in a brutal way, than what they had before. Sunni parts of Syria and Iraq merge, with Assad holding onto the other parts of Syria, the Kurds taking control of Kurdish Iraq and Syria, Shia Iraq merging with Iran, or being independent but under the influence of Iran. If this could have happened peacefully it would perhaps be the best possible outcome, but at the moment it looks like only the Kurdish areas have a chance to emerge from this functionally.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sunni parts of Syria and Iraq merge, with Assad holding onto the other parts of Syria, the Kurds taking control of Kurdish Iraq and Syria, Shia Iraq merging with Iran, or being independent but under the influence of Iran.

I agree. Basically you're arguing that the region should break into sectarian quasi ethno states. I completely agree.

The British etc who carved up that area did so without respect to the ethnic groups who were already there. The British should have known better, given their history of internal ethnic conflict.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran is not going to merge with any of Iraq. Different languages, cultures (minus the Shia connection), etc. But yes, I do think iraq and syria will cease to exist in their current forms.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
Titus wrote:
The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/12/toppling-saddam-was-right-go-back-to-iraq-democracy

Quote:
There is no way that the UK can stand aside at Iraq's moment of greatest need. We have a responsibility to those whose democracy we created. Those who are not utterly silent are sullen, muttering that Blair and Bush caused all this, that there was no al-Qaida in Iraq before 2003. Let's be clear what that statement really is – bloodless, amoral pragmatism of the type Henry Kissinger excelled in. You might as well say: "Saddam may have been a fascist who inflicted genocide on the Kurds, but at least that kept Iran and the jihadists at bay." That remark would have the merit of being honest.

The truth is that if we do not act now, we will surely act later. Having protected the freedom and autonomy of the Kurds since the Kuwait war, we cannot abandon them now, or leave them dependent on protection from Iran. We have to go back to Iraq to rescue democracy. After all, as Margaret Thatcher said at the time of the Falklands, why else do we have armed forces?

I despair. If the Guardian prints something like this a ton of 'liberals' will jump on board immediately.

Don't worry, he's a Blair lackey, and thanks in part to Iraq, liberals aren't such big fans of Tony these days. As Titus noted, a lot of the comments were critical of that crap.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Iran is not going to merge with any of Iraq. Different languages, cultures (minus the Shia connection), etc. But yes, I do think iraq and syria will cease to exist in their current forms.

I believe Iran is only 60% majority Persian. It's all very messy and complicated.

It's more likely that the Sunni radicals will push the Shia population into Iran.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

I believe Iran is only 60% majority Persian. It's all very messy and complicated.

It's more likely that the Sunni radicals will push the Shia population into Iran.

There is always the Lebanon option, where Lebanon is "independent" but Syria and Iran are heavily involved. Shia Iraq could be "independent" but under Iranian influence. The Kurds will probably still claim to want a unified Iraq to keep the U.S. off their backs, and to reassure Turkey and others, but in almost all aspects act sovereign. I don't see Iran as a boogeyman, but as more moderate and sensible and stable than our allies Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. The sheer weight of the violence and number of refugees and foreign fighters and chaos will make rebuilding very difficult regardless of where boundary lines end up getting drawn.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will probably see a long war before any political solution can be imposed. Here's one perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZuNg3cm1PE#t=158

^ Some surprisingly good propaganda.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ISIS guys are brutal:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-15/isis-jihadists-release-shocking-photos-documenting-slaying-1700-iraqi-soldiers
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
We will probably see a long war before any political solution can be imposed. Here's one perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZuNg3cm1PE#t=158

^ Some surprisingly good propaganda.

That was very good. If one group can make them seem moderate and reasonable it is ISIS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: