Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Expenses of Owning a Car...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool Kricket...
Which countryside do you live in?
A village..a hut?
If your city had bad public transit then you could buy a car and it would make some sense.
I was just thinking of people living in a major city that has subways and buses that run every 2 minutes and taxis in droves....
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
I was just thinking of people living in a major city that has subways and buses that run every 2 minutes and taxis in droves....

Well, I live in Seoul and I have a wife and a baby. every tried to carry everything you need wiht a baby on the subway. Up and down and up and down those infernally long stairways?

Plus, its very emanipating to have a car.
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Not everybody has wings Homer!
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:

Not everyone who lives in a city stays there every day all the time, what about traveling out of town. You can't get to everyplace in SK via buses or train.

I can go where I want, when I want. If I decide to make a detour, no problem. Can't exactly ask the bus driver to make an unscheduled stop can ya?
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all valid points about cars.

Kimking, you have a baby that changes things of course.

Anda: yeah those wings come in mighty handy...

Rand al thor: you are also talking about something different. What you mention is having a car for leisure activities. Getting out of town on week-ends and such. Thats cool.

My point was why would anyone living in a major city in Korea take his or her car to work when the public transit here is excellent?
With all the traffic and the air pollution why contribute to it?
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
My point was why would anyone living in a major city in Korea take his or her car to work when the public transit here is excellent?
With all the traffic and the air pollution why contribute to it?

Agreed. I wish I could take the bus to work but the schedule is not convenient. I'd rather restrict my car usage to weekend trips.

CM
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car is killing me, but then I drive 75km to and from work everyday. My costs, gas and highway toll, are in the vicinity of 400k a month. This is not considering any joy riding I may do during the weekend, and I haven't done that in a while.

The car itself is a piece of junk. 1995 Daewoo Cielo; seriously considering getting a deisel or LPG car. Cost me 1.2 million. Got robbed on it Crying or Very sad thanks to my old hakwan boss for getting me such a good deal. . .

Insurance is about 600k a year, and the numbers others have mentioned are smack on.

Having a car is great, I loved it at first and still appreciate having one here, but now I'm resentful when I see how much $$$ goes out the window on the damn thing every month.

Driving here is a true test of will, patience and nerve. Be forewarned that you must be more aggressive and take the initiative. The main reason I drive a piece of junk is so I'm not bent out o shape anytime I get 'bumped' etc. This has happened on several occasions. I love driving on the expressway topping 130, 140km/h and watching others zoom past me like I'm some kind of grandpa. Or tailgaiting me at that speed. Boy, that sure is fun. Giving the brakes a little nudge always gets their attention.

Anyway, more pros than cons, but I'm with Homer: if you can, take the bus / train.
thinker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't feel safe driving anything in korea except a volvo 240 series, i only saw one the whole time i was there, got quite excited when i did too!

too bad i can't bring mine over when i return, that'd just be ludicrious!

city driving must be a pain in the arse, but i'd love to do Jeju and many other mountainous places, the roads are usually in excellent shape and must be fun to drive on!

mine's like this but older headlights and not as good shape, still love it though~
kricket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steroidmaximus wrote:

The car itself is a piece of junk. 1995 Daewoo Cielo; seriously considering getting a deisel or LPG car.

Uh, this may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is a "LPG" car? Is is much cheaper than a regular car? Cool
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPG = Liquid Propane Gas.

Hope I'm right.

CM
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um a lot cheaper but they won't let you convert a car here like back home, Oh it's bottle gas (LPG) it burns better than natural gas.

Last edited by Anda on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kricket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you buy an LPG car you can buy LPG gas which is cheaper than regular gas?
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPG is in fact "Lquid Petroleum Gas. " Every taxi in Korea runs on it and a good portion of commercial, non-diesel vehicles. The advantages are many. It burns cleaner. It has fewer moving parts in the fuel system. It runs about W600/litre vs W1300 for gas. You will never know the difference between LPG and gasoline when driving.

The disadvantages are that a used LPG vehicle will go for at least double the price of a gasoline model. The number of refilling stations is limited but increasing. There is a slight loss in power but I have never noticed it on the LPG cars I drove in Canada. If you travel outside your town, pla

Diesel cars are new to Korea. Modern diesels are fantastic, smooth, quiet, powerful and clean. However, for an Avante CRDi you are looking at W13m or so. Out of most of our budgets.

My car is a 1998 Kia Pride station wagon. It has to be the ultimate nerd-mobile but it is reliable, built like a tank and can hold tons of gear. It is only 1300cc but with the five speed transmission I have no trouble keeping up with traffic. I bought it used two years ago for W1.5m and have spent about another W200k on it since then, tune up, tires etc.

Insurance for an old guy like is W400k a year. Road tax is W200k. It uses about 10 litres of fuel for every hundred km in the city and about 7 on the expressway. Gasoline is about W1330 a litre now so you do the math.

We never use the car for inter-city trips. If we go to Seoul, it is faster, cheaper and much more relaxing to take the Saemaul train. Added to that I do not have to find a place to park the thing. We really like to drive up the east coast in the summer.

HTH
kricket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bother you good folks again, but I have a couple of questions for car owners out there...

I just bought a used Kia pride and the guy charged me 180,000 won for "registration". I didn't have the benefit of having a Korean translator with me... so I was unclear on this...Does this mean (registration) that he will provide the tags (license plate) and the "road tax"? 180,000 won is really steep for just the tags... Anybody know what I paid for? The guy tried his best to explain, but I just couldn't understand him.

Thanks.
theevilgenius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to get this thread going again out of pure interest to see what has changed in 8 years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: