Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about drug test/health check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Question about drug test/health check Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

New on the forum and will be moving to South Korea on January 2nd to start a one year contract. Very excited, but very nervous as well.

I just have a question regarding the drug test. I have not been smoking any pot or doing any type of drugs for the past 4 months. But the other week I was at my friends' house and they were smoking joints. A lot of them. Anyways, it was pretty heavy in the air but I was sitting as far away from them as possible.

So, what I'd like to know from your experiences, how serious is the drug test, and do you think there's a chance second hand smoke would show up? I checked online and it said no but I just would like to hear your thoughts for reassurance. And what other tests do they normally do?

Thank you
greatunknown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't smoke any, you'll be alright.

I really don't think there is much of a chance second hand smoke could cause you to fail the test. Just to be sure, I'd probably avoid being in the room with heavy smokers over the holidays.

FYI Koreans and many of the people who post here seem to believe that anyone who uses or has used illegal drugs has no place working with children or teaching in Korea.
bbunce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchase one of those drug test kits to be sure.
erasmus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked heavily all summer and stopped three weeks before I came here...passed the test no problem. Two people did get sent home, though, so the test is real.
Sinnerman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Rebagliati, when stripped of his gold medal in snowboarding in 1998, claimed that he was around friends smoking it, and that is how it got into his system Wink The Olympic committee bought his story and gave him back his medal, but mainly because pot wasn't on the banned substance list as it certainly isn't a performance enhancer. (unless you are talking about a cookie or chip eating contest.)
Riker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, one of the most violent drugs on the planet is totally ok here:

ALCOHOL!!!
Rob12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have a feeling it will be fine but yeah maybe I'll get one of those at home kits just to be sure. If I got sent home for second hand smoke, that would be devastating.

Riker it's so true. Alcohol is way more dangerous than pot could every be.

And Sinnerman, I still remember that incident. I was in elementary school and young at the time but I remember it was such a big controversy and kids were going on about it on the playground. Oh
Rutherford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two people did get sent home, though, so the test is real.

That's rough. Two people? Was this at EPIK orientation? I imagine the staff must have been livid about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: