Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F2 points visa and dependents?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: F2 points visa and dependents? Reply with quote

Anyone know if dependents would get an F2 or an F1? I know that if you get an F2 via the five year route then your dependents get an F1, but am not sure if it's the same for the F2 points. I've called immigration and gotten different answers.
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2s can't sponsor F2s.
F2s can sponsor F3s and F1s.
Usually a spouse or child gets an F3.
After 2 or 3 years you can apply to get an F5 and at that point you could sponsor a spouse for their own F2/6. (I don't know if spouses of F5s will get the new F6 or the old F2 since they're not married to a Korean national)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
F2s can't sponsor F2s.
F2s can sponsor F3s and F1s.
Usually a spouse or child gets an F3.
After 2 or 3 years you can apply to get an F5 and at that point you could sponsor a spouse for their own F2/6. (I don't know if spouses of F5s will get the new F6 or the old F2 since they're not married to a Korean national)

Great. Thanks. Yet another case of kimmi giving out wrong info.
nick70100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I had heard in the past was the same as what alongway said, but then I saw this...

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/NtcCotnDetailR_kr.pt?pageSpec=&targetRow=&lafjOrderBy=&sRange=&sKeyWord=&bbsGbCd=BS10&bbsSeq=1&ntccttSeq=247&pageCode=list&langCd=KR&bbsNm=%B0%F8%C1%F6%BB%E7%C7%D7

In particular this sentence...

본인, 배우자 및 그 미성년 자녀에게 거주자격(F-2)을 부여하여 기존의 체류자격에 관계없이 자유로운 취업활동이 보장되며, 1회 부여 체류기간의 상한이 3년으로 확대됩니다.

That says pretty clearly that you, your spouse, and your dependent children will all get F-2s.

Perhaps immigration is posting the wrong information on their own website, I certainly wouldn't be too surprised if they did, but maybe you actually can get an F-2 for your dependents. At the very least this is something in writing that you could show them.

Unfortunately everyone I know who has applied for this visa, including myself, is single/no kids, so I can't really say for sure.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick70100 wrote:
Everything I had heard in the past was the same as what alongway said, but then I saw this...

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/NtcCotnDetailR_kr.pt?pageSpec=&targetRow=&lafjOrderBy=&sRange=&sKeyWord=&bbsGbCd=BS10&bbsSeq=1&ntccttSeq=247&pageCode=list&langCd=KR&bbsNm=%B0%F8%C1%F6%BB%E7%C7%D7

본인, 배우자 및 그 미성년 자녀에게 거주자격(F-2)을 부여하여 기존의 체류자격에 관계없이 자유로운 취업활동이 보장되며, 1회 부여 체류기간의 상한이 3년으로 확대됩니다.

That says pretty clearly that you, your spouse, and your dependent children will all get F-2s.

Perhaps immigration is posting the wrong information on their own website, I certainly wouldn't be too surprised if they did, but maybe you actually can get an F-2 for your dependents. At the very least this is something in writing that you could show them.

Unfortunately everyone I know who has applied for this visa, including myself, is single/no kids, so I can't really say for sure.

I can't imagine it would be wrong if they put it up there. Sounds good. thanks!
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick70100 wrote:

That's..strange.. I'm not sure why they would do that. While the F-2 is a residence visa and not a working visa, it does allow working/study/etc and one spouse qualifying for it doesn't mean the other would. I'm also not sure why they'd give it to children, it seems entirely unnecessary. They must have some interesting plans in store for the various categories of this visa, what with moving people married to Koreans into another class entirely.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
That's..strange.. I'm not sure why they would do that. While the F-2 is a residence visa and not a working visa, it does allow working/study/etc and one spouse qualifying for it doesn't mean the other would. I'm also not sure why they'd give it to children, it seems entirely unnecessary. They must have some interesting plans in store for the various categories of this visa, what with moving people married to Koreans into another class entirely.

Because if you get the F2 points you're special? Maybe? Maybe kids will get an F2-19? meaning that you're under 19 Laughing

I can understand why an F5 could get their spouse an F2, but don't know how an F2 could get their spouse an F2. BUt this is Korea after all. Even though F2 isn't permanent, you own your own visa, so maybe that's why you could sponsor your spouse?

Does that make sense? It kind of does to me.
nick70100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:

I agree. It's strange and completely different from what immigration has done in the past, but... it says what it says. Furthermore, it's not really clear which F-2 the dependents would get. There aren't any F-2 categories listed on the website that really fit. The closest one is the F-2-3 for the spouse and children of F-5 holders, but there's no mention at all of being available to dependents of F-2-7 holders. I suppose they could give them all the F-2-7, but that doesn't really make sense either if the spouse and children don't qualify based on points. Either way, it will be interesting to hear from someone who has actually applied with dependents.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think the dependents would get the F1 visa since it's somewhat of a step up from the F3.

I do agree with you though about qualifying. Just because one spouse qualifies, then the other gets the chance to work? Hm, not fair. F5 getting an F2 for their spouse sounds ok, but not F2 to F2.
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I'd think the dependents would get the F1 visa since it's somewhat of a step up from the F3.

I do agree with you though about qualifying. Just because one spouse qualifies, then the other gets the chance to work? Hm, not fair. F5 getting an F2 for their spouse sounds ok, but not F2 to F2.

As far as I know the F1 is for family of Korean nationals (who might not otherwise qualify for an F4) but it's not really different from an F3, unless something has changed. You can't work on it.

Quote:
I agree. It's strange and completely different from what immigration has done in the past, but... it says what it says. Furthermore, it's not really clear which F-2 the dependents would get. There aren't any F-2 categories listed on the website that really fit. The closest one is the F-2-3 for the spouse and children of F-5 holders, but there's no mention at all of being available to dependents of F-2-7 holders. I suppose they could give them all the F-2-7, but that doesn't really make sense either if the spouse and children don't qualify based on points. Either way, it will be interesting to hear from someone who has actually applied with dependents.

No it doesn't. Obviously things are in flux now and perhaps we will have to wait and see what comes out the other side.
But the categories of F2 really only speak to how you got it, not what you can do with it.
An F2 points really has all the same permissions as an F2 marriage, or an F2 refugee, etc.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
As far as I know the F1 is for family of Korean nationals (who might not otherwise qualify for an F4) but it's not really different from an F3, unless something has changed. You can't work on it.

I know you can't work on an F1. The website is screwy. As it is, now it says that E2ers can get F1s for their dependents.
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
alongway wrote:

I know you can't work on an F1. The website is screwy. As it is, now it says that E2ers can get F1s for their dependents.

Ah yes, I found it now. It has been updated since I saw it:
Quote:
The spouse or children of those that has Residency (F-2) status

It has a huge list of things it covers now
A lot of them cover people related to or employed by Koreans, but there are some categories where they're sponsored by foreigners as well.

It says E-2s can get F1s for their children.

The F3 page also says it applies to spouse AND children of E-2s. So it looks like spouses get an F3, children can get an F3 or F1, can't imagine there is really any difference, and spouses and kids of F-2s should get F1s (which makes the most sense), but this other page saying they get F-2s seems out of left field.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
A lot of them cover people related to or employed by Koreans, but there are some categories where they're sponsored by foreigners as well.

The F3 page also says it applies to spouse AND children of E-2s. So it looks like spouses get an F3, children can get an F3 or F1, can't imagine there is really any difference, and spouses and kids of F-2s should get F1s (which makes the most sense), but this other page saying they get F-2s seems out of left field.

BUt I just went and they gave my daughter an F3. I don't get it.
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
alongway wrote:

BUt I just went and they gave my daughter an F3. I don't get it.

Did you get your F-2 Points?
I don't know that there is really any difference at all between the F-1 or F-3 since kids of an E-2 can get either. The F-3 is a much more narrow visa only for dependants while the F-1 is a wider visa that covers many scenarios including some people's dependants.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Did you get your F-2 Points?
I don't know that there is really any difference at all between the F-1 or F-3 since kids of an E-2 can get either. The F-3 is a much more narrow visa only for dependants while the F-1 is a wider visa that covers many scenarios including some people's dependants.

NOpe Sad I found out that the points that I was counting on won't be counted. Guess I'll have to wait for the five years or hardcore study Korean, which is kind of difficult when you have a baby that cries everytime you stop moving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: