Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International School Job in Korea - Thoughts on My Plan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braccia2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: International School Job in Korea - Thoughts on My Plan? Reply with quote

Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster here. My wife (a Korean citizen) and I are hoping to move back to Seoul soon. We presently live in New York. I have four years US school experience and 4 years in a hagwon teaching and writing textbooks. I would like to have a secular international school job in Korea upon moving back, but I know it is too late for this hiring season. So, my wife thinks we should stay in the US and get more US school experience and then get a Korean international school job through a job fair in the States.

While I agree that is probably the best plan, we are also eager to go back to Korea soon. I would rather move back this fall and work in a hagwon writing textbooks for a year, then apply in person at schools next January. Does this sound like a reasonable way to get an international school job? Is it better to go through job fairs? Also, does it look bad to have another year of hagwon on my resume? I know that US school experience would of course look better, but I ultimately want to know if I am permanently hurting my chances of getting an international school job if we move back now.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Chris
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the real international schools here take applications online. You should look into that first.

However, be warned, the competition is pretty fierce these days with many certified teachers already living and working here. Also, fair warning, many of the "international schools" are not international schools at all, do research on all of them. Finally, as just an FYI, I interviewed at a few last year before taking my current job and all of them were expecting teachers to have a MAT in addition to the teaching experience..

I would also open up your search to foreign language schools as well. If you do your research, there are many good ones where the pay/working hours are similar or better than the international schools and also only take certified teachers.
ed4444

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the schools recruit exclusively though the job fairs or else through the agencies that organise the job fairs e.g CIS. Applying in person is often not really helpful but if you could find someone at a school to recommend you instead, it could go a long way.
Drew345

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be a last minute opening coming up a week or two before school starts. In the big annual shuffle of international school teachers, some school gets stuck holding the short end of the stick and is down a teacher a week before school starts. Just keep that in mind if you do decide to come early. But then you would have to be free to move anywhere in the country on a weeks notice too.
swashbuckler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the "real" international schools in Korea pay much less/give fewer benefits to local (in-country) hires than teachers recruited from overseas at the expensive job fairs. Can anyone confirm this and, if so, what exactly is the salary discrepancy?

I also doubt that a foreign language high school in Korea pays as much as an international school (50-70,000 thousand dollars a year). I knew one guy working at Anyang Foreign Language High School and he made 2.2 a month.
swashbuckler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: International School Job in Korea - Thoughts on My Plan? Reply with quote

braccia2 wrote:
So, my wife thinks we should stay in the US and get more US school experience and then get a Korean international school job through a job fair in the States.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Why are you in such a rush to move back here, anyway? Are you working in a ghetto ps in America or something? Asshole principal? Miss Itaewon?
ed4444

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swashbuckler wrote:
I've heard the "real" international schools in Korea pay much less/give fewer benefits to local (in-country) hires than teachers recruited from overseas at the expensive job fairs. Can anyone confirm this and, if so, what exactly is the salary discrepancy?

I also doubt that a foreign language high school in Korea pays as much as an international school (50-70,000 thousand dollars a year). I knew one guy working at Anyang Foreign Language High School and he made 2.2 a month.

Yep, some of them do this but it is more about the benefits than the salary. They remove moving allowances and flights and things like that if you are hired locally.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting at an international school in August. The competition is really tough. I got in through a personal connection at the school, but my school recruits heavily at fairs.

It depends on what you teach, but with your experience I don't think coming back to Korea early will hurt. I don't think applying from Korea will really help or hurt.

Also I would start looking in November.

Last edited by Tyshine on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tyshine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swashbuckler wrote:

The good international schools don't do that.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are best to stay in the US and hit recruiting fairs.

If you are IN Korea and hired you will be considered a "local hire" versus a "foreign hire" teacher. The differences between the two contracts are massive.

You can do a google search to see what I am talking about.

Also, as someone who is a certified teacher and working outside Korea, I too want to return. The thing is, Korea is SMALL when you compare it to other markets in Asia and doesn't have a lot of schools, therefore competition is massive, and when you add in you do not want to work at a Christian School (SFS, Yongsan, Taejeon, Suwon) you are limited to only a couple others...

So just a FYI...it really isn't as easy or accessible as a lot of people think.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyshine wrote:
swashbuckler wrote:

The good international schools don't do that.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they all do that.

The good ones might give you international health insurance vs local insurance, but they won't give you airfare, relocation allowance, settlement allowance and often housing if you are a local hire. That can add up to over 20k a year in benefits.

Also most international schools in Korea aren't paying 50-70k a year. KIS/SIS for example post their avg salary as 40-45k a year on Search Associates a recruiting portal for international teachers. DIS is like 30-45k on a recent post on tieonline. SFS and Branksome Hall Asia (Jeju) are the two highest paying schools in Korea for new teachers.

A lot of the schools have a salary scale that can be found either on their site or through google...

Oh and 2.2mil for a 4yr BA with ESL experience is not bad for a FLHS when you consider all the paid holidays they have. When I worked at a FLHS I was making over 1mil a month more than the new foreign hires and this was almost 10 years ago and before I had my B.Ed/MA too.
amac123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: International School Job in Korea - Thoughts on My Plan? Reply with quote

braccia2 wrote:
Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster here. My wife (a Korean citizen) and I are hoping to move back to Seoul soon. We presently live in New York. I have four years US school experience and 4 years in a hagwon teaching and writing textbooks. I would like to have a secular international school job in Korea upon moving back, but I know it is too late for this hiring season. So, my wife thinks we should stay in the US and get more US school experience and then get a Korean international school job through a job fair in the States.

While I agree that is probably the best plan, we are also eager to go back to Korea soon. I would rather move back this fall and work in a hagwon writing textbooks for a year, then apply in person at schools next January. Does this sound like a reasonable way to get an international school job? Is it better to go through job fairs? Also, does it look bad to have another year of hagwon on my resume? I know that US school experience would of course look better, but I ultimately want to know if I am permanently hurting my chances of getting an international school job if we move back now.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Chris

I just got an offer for an international school just by pure chance. I had never heard of one before. Seems like a really good school, and I'm going to the school to probably sign a contract tomorrow. Quick question though, you said you would like to have a "secular" international school job. So does that mean that international schools are generally Christian? Does it matter that I am not? Ha! And do you know which ones are secular? I sure hope I'm going to one of those.
Canadian Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Korean International schools are religious, but not all. If you look for IB programmes, you will find a more international minded educational system. Look at the websites, school fees, teachers, etc to get a feel of what kind of school it is. Is there an academic requirement?

Yes, local hires have fewer benefits and sometimes less pay. This is a worldwide standard for international schools. Definitely google the schools that you want to apply for, interview through Skype, and then travel here. The benefits will be much better! I know of a couple of international schools here that still have positions available.

Incidentally, SFS and DSS are the only two with decent foreign student populations.

I make more than the salaries posted on this thread... I'd check International Schools Review for a more accurate salary scale.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean
Quote:
Many Korean international schools are not international schools

I've been to so many interviews at 'international' schools over the years that I have lost count.

I'm sure some of them may be good experiences for teachers, but they sure as hell arnt what they are advertised as.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't a lot of accredited international schools in Korea versus the amount that use the name "International" in their advertising.

A few google searches will tell you the names of the real international schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: