Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is beef so expensive here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
I'm not from Halifax... and even if I was, so what? I've cooked lamb at home, I've eaten it in sit down restaurants, and I've eaten it at fast food places. I've eaten it with friends and coworkers.

And not once did someone complain about the smell.

You can call me 'chef' if you like (personal dig)... though I'm not claiming to be. You can say that I'm from Halifax... but I have no idea why you'd claim such a thing.(another personal dig)

I'm just saying I've never heard of anyone complaining about the smell of lamb around me. Why is that so hard for you to stomach? And why are you so insistent on making this personal?

Donairs originated in Halifax. Nothing personal there.

At least you've now offered some actual experience instead of "never heard of." There's a big difference.

I'm still curious what part of what country you;re talking about. My comment and experience pertain to the U.S.

Well, the US is a big country as well. I'm from Western Canada, and grew up with Donairs. Never had a problem with 'em.

On my last trip to NYC, I had a great gyro - seemed fairly popular there. Again, no one was standing around me complaining about the smell.

Now, that's NOT to say that no one on earth has ever complained... but it is to give another point of view on the subject.

Shall I now make this personal, call you 'chef' or something, and try to dismiss your opinion?

Or is there room for both experiences?
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
I'm not from Halifax... and even if I was, so what? I've cooked lamb at home, I've eaten it in sit down restaurants, and I've eaten it at fast food places. I've eaten it with friends and coworkers.

And not once did someone complain about the smell.

You can call me 'chef' if you like (personal dig)... though I'm not claiming to be. You can say that I'm from Halifax... but I have no idea why you'd claim such a thing.(another personal dig)

I'm just saying I've never heard of anyone complaining about the smell of lamb around me. Why is that so hard for you to stomach? And why are you so insistent on making this personal?

Donairs originated in Halifax. Nothing personal there.

At least you've now offered some actual experience instead of "never heard of." There's a big difference.

I'm still curious what part of what country you;re talking about. My comment and experience pertain to the U.S.

Dude, the closest body of water to Halifax is not the Mediterranean. Try taking a dip in Halifax harbour in February if you don't believe me. Wink

Even if Greco Pizza, which is from Halifax if I remember correctly, helped popularize the dish in that part of Canada, I would imagine that donairs were introduced to the Maritimes by the many Lebanese immigrants that went there (that was long before your time and mine, I'm talking in the '30s, '40s, and '50s).
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in bumpkin land people do't like lamb, though I can't fathom since lamb chops are always popular, but in trendyville lamb is popular in Middle Eastern and Indian dishes, which in trendyville are consumed at least twice a week.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Maybe in bumpkin land people do't like lamb, though I can't fathom since lamb chops are always popular, but in trendyville lamb is popular in Middle Eastern and Indian dishes, which in trendyville are consumed at least twice a week.

Is that Trendyville USA... because apparently, that's important.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Laughing
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

I'd imagine Trendyville USA, and Trendyville Canada are pretty similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: