Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Dragon Blog: MMA Girl English Teacher Fighting in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoultee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Red Dragon Blog: MMA Girl English Teacher Fighting in Korea Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been making some videos of my great experiences here in Korea, but I wanted to make a couple to answer many people's questions about the income and monthly expenses that one can expect. I hope you find these helpful.

The money conversions are not exact but give a rough idea of what you can expect to spend each month on expenses.

I posted earlier, but I believe someone reported me for mentioning tutoring privately as an activity that some teachers are involved in. As I mention in the vids, this is technically not allowed contractually, yet some teachers still do so. Consequently, my posts were removed. Again, I hope these are helpful. Thanks.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evyncp1c-P8

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKttv-se9-Y&feature=related

Last edited by seoultee on Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 9 times in total
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I already see this thread? Seems a little spammy..
seoultee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Didn't I already see this thread? Seems a little spammy..

Yes, but it was removed because I mention tutoring as an activity that some teachers are involved in.

This is not spam at all. My intent here is for people coming here to have some idea what to expect. Just giving back for those who made vids for me to watch before coming.

Sheesh....
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could have swore I also saw another thread from you yesterday where you had 3 or 4 videos linked in as well (also seems to be gone now), after 2 threads and then reposting this one, you'll forgive me for thinking that comes across as spammy.
seoultee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Well, I could have swore I also saw another thread from you yesterday where you had 3 or 4 videos linked in as well (also seems to be gone now), after 2 threads and then reposting this one, you'll forgive me for thinking that comes across as spammy.

Yes, forgiven...lol! Yes, I've made various vids of my siteseeing experiences, judo experiences and others to share. I'm not a big forum person and I honestly thought that posting videos of my experience here would help people, but I kind of feel like it's been met with resistance.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoultee wrote:
alongway wrote:

Yes, forgiven...lol! Yes, I've made various vids of my siteseeing experiences, judo experiences and others to share. I'm not a big forum person and I honestly thought that posting videos of my experience here would help people, but I kind of feel like it's been met with resistance.

I think the idea is to link to your stuff without looking like you're just trying to promote it. Starting top level posts just looks like advertising, on the other hand if you participate in a site and then someone says "Hey, how about topic X" and then you say "Oh hey, I made a video on that, here it is" it's more natural and fits better, as long as those aren't the only posts you make to the forum.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 thread with your links.

New videos, new message in your thread, not a new thread.

Don't keep making new threads / spamming the boards with new messages about your videos or chances are the mods will treat it like a blog promotion and delete all of them and you too (as a spammer).

seoultee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
seoultee wrote:
alongway wrote:

I think the idea is to link to your stuff without looking like you're just trying to promote it. Starting top level posts just looks like advertising, on the other hand if you participate in a site and then someone says "Hey, how about topic X" and then you say "Oh hey, I made a video on that, here it is" it's more natural and fits better, as long as those aren't the only posts you make to the forum.

I hear you. I'm still suprised the moderators removed the links no questions asked. It seemed like many people enjoyed them. Well, please enjoy my vids. I will actually be going to Tokyo to visit and workout at the Kodokan (birthplace of judo) and also visit the sumo headquarters. I will definitely be making a vid for that. And I will post that one for sure- it will be my pride and joy...
seoultee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

New videos, new message in your thread, not a new thread.

Good idea
allovertheplace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your conversion rate it off. 1.8 million won is NOT 1,700-1,800 USD.

It's also such a shot in the dark. Few years ago 2.1. million got me 2,100 USD. Four months later I made 1,650 USD.
seoultee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allovertheplace wrote:

It's also such a shot in the dark. Few years ago 2.1. million got me 2,100 USD. Four months later I made 1,650 USD.

Wow - that's pretty good to get 1,000/1 conversion. I don't really keep an eye on the conversion rate. Usually when I see a price for something I just drop the thousands and know it will be slightly less than what I'm left with. I should be more detailed with that for sure.

I think 1.8 million won is just under $1,600 USD at the moment.
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoultee wrote:
allovertheplace wrote:

Wow - that's pretty good to get 1,000/1 conversion. I don't really keep an eye on the conversion rate. Usually when I see a price for something I just drop the thousands and know it will be slightly less than what I'm left with. I should be more detailed with that for sure.

2008, Korea won, Canadian dollar and US dollar were pretty much "at par". 1000 won = $1 CAD = $1 USD give or take a penny or two depending on the day of the week.
seoultee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
seoultee wrote:
allovertheplace wrote:

2008, Korea won, Canadian dollar and US dollar were pretty much "at par". 1000 won = $1 CAD = $1 USD give or take a penny or two depending on the day of the week.

That was by the end of 2007. You should have seen it in 2007 and before. I think 1000 won was maybe $1.15 Cdn. Was much better for sending money home that's for sure. During that brief spell the Canadian dollar went to $1.10 US was when the exchange dropped to 1000 won = $1 CAD for much of 2008. I think by the fall towards the end of 2008, the exchange rate dropped to the pitiful rates we still see today. Damn this recession!!
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
alongway wrote:
seoultee wrote:
allovertheplace wrote:

That was by the end of 2007. You should have seen it in 2007 and before. I think 1000 won was maybe $1.15 Cdn. Was much better for sending money home that's for sure. During that brief spell the Canadian dollar went to $1.10 US was when the exchange dropped to 1000 won = $1 CAD for much of 2008. I think by the fall towards the end of 2008, the exchange rate dropped to the pitiful rates we still see today. Damn this recession!!

http://www.x-rates.com/d/KRW/CAD/hist2008.html
http://www.x-rates.com/d/KRW/USD/hist2008.html
It wasn't until the fall of 2008 that it started to climb. It was right around June that it was sitting at $1=$1=1000 won for a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: