Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Dragon Blog: MMA Girl English Teacher Fighting in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gap Year in Korea - My Sabbatical from Life Reply with quote

seoultee wrote:
http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2012/12/gap-year-in-korea-my-sabbatical-from.html

I absolutely despise this attitude. Reminder, people: Korea is real life. Unless you're a professor taking a year off, it ain't a sabbatical from anything. The more people recognize this fact the better off we'll all be.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xhe101 wrote:
Does exchange rate matter less if you don;t plan to return to the US?

WHen you're paying off your debts, it sure does.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gap Year in Korea - My Sabbatical from Life Reply with quote

northway wrote:
seoultee wrote:
http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2012/12/gap-year-in-korea-my-sabbatical-from.html

I absolutely despise this attitude. Reminder, people: Korea is real life. Unless you're a professor taking a year off, it ain't a sabbatical from anything. The more people recognize this fact the better off we'll all be.

Could not agree more.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gap Year in Korea - My Sabbatical from Life Reply with quote

northway wrote:
seoultee wrote:

Anyone who was laid off from an "IT" job in 2008, and couldn't find another one in two years, was not very good at "IT."

I give the guy props for changing course; EFL is full of these kinds of guys.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gap Year in Korea - My Sabbatical from Life Reply with quote

The King of Kwangju wrote:
northway wrote:
seoultee wrote:

Anyone who was laid off from an "IT" job in 2008, and couldn't find another one in two years, was not very good at "IT."

I give the guy props for changing course; EFL is full of these kinds of guys.

Changing course is fine. Pretending that Korea doesn't represent real life is not. Do these guys tell the friends they make that they're taking a sabbatical from real life? The people you meet and the experiences you have don't disappear the moment you head back to your home country, nor should they. The more you acknowledge that Korea is part of your "real" life, the richer your life there will be.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though Korea is retracting their EPIK program, there�s no doubt the future for teaching abroad looks bright overall. I will soon be enrolling in an online teacher certification program, and possible Master�s in ESL. It�s all guns blazing to roll out Tom 2.0!

That's the point of his post - what started as a sabattical from real life became his real life.
happiness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think this is narrow minded. what sabbatical? if youre a professional in a certain field and you go to the African bush, maybe THAT is a sabbatical. Im working, Im playing, Im moving around. Thats a hell of a good life then being stuck in a cubicle. Im 13 years in, and Im loving life.
seoultee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Battleships and Fish - Korean National Maritime Museum Reply with quote

Battleships and Fish - Korean National Maritime Museum

http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2013/01/battleships-and-fish-korean-national.html
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem like an overly obvious suggestion, but why not put up a title that would draw people thinking of comng to Korea or those new to the country. Nobody cares about someone's self professed sabbatical.

Start a blog or something.
seoultee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Being an Older Non-Korean Korean in Korea Reply with quote

Being an Older Non-Korean Korean in Korea

http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2013/01/being-older-non-korean-korean-in-korea.html
seoultee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: 14 Things to Do & See in Busan, South Korea Reply with quote

http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2013/02/14-things-to-do-see-in-busan-south.html
seoultee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Get to the Point - Acupuncture in Korea Works! Reply with quote

http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2013/02/get-to-point-acupuncture-in-korea-works.html
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you edit the thread title every time you make a new post?
flash viego

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen countless youtube videos as I plan for a September start in Korea. I will say that Seoultee's videos have helped the most. He is also clearly very serious about his job, and his life in Korea. He has also answered many questions I have asked about a variety of topics.

I think the critics have misinterpreted his intentions, or his use of "sabatical from life". Lighten up guys.
detonate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash viego wrote:
I have seen countless youtube videos as I plan for a September start in Korea. I will say that Seoultee's videos have helped the most. He is also clearly very serious about his job, and his life in Korea. He has also answered many questions I have asked about a variety of topics.

I think the critics have misinterpreted his intentions, or his use of "sabatical from life". Lighten up guys.

Oh my young grasswalker, I am your father wearing an awkward black helmet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: